Cosby 9-1 Wartburg 6-0

ZOOLANDER69

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who does everybody think is the better team. :)

Have seen both play. Cosby has better shooters on the perimeter. Wartburg the better slashers. from the perimeter. Blakely may be the best inside player in the region. Don't believe Wartburg's press would bother Cosby. Would be a good game though. Cosby a little better at this point in the season.

Have seen both play. Cosby has better shooters on the perimeter. Wartburg the better slashers. from the perimeter. Blakely may be the best inside player in the region. Don't believe Wartburg's press would bother Cosby. Would be a good game though. Cosby a little better at this point in the season.

I think Dexter Manning and Jeremy Shannon would be a good match up and Timmy Blakely and Jason Melton would be a good match up. I dont know what to say about Manning and Shannon their both just really good players. Blakely and Melton are both very strong inside. What does everyone else think. :)

Having seen Cosby and no other District 3 or 4 teams let me say to start: There is no Timmy Blakely MAY be the best Region 2 inside player; he IS the best inside player in the Region (Region 1-A as well, one of the best in East TN - of course, I dont see many AA or AAA inside guys getting Divison 1-A Scholarship offers. Admittedly, Timmy is having to work on his outside game - and has done so with Charlie Benson and the Travelers over the last two summers - for the college game.)

I think, after conferring wiht a coach or two, that Wartburg says they have their best team EVER, there.

Cosby arguably, has the best starting five in East TN Class A (Thats Cloudland over to Oneida, without going further south than say just above the Chattanooga area). They have a lack of depth.

The biggest problem for the Eagles is that lack of depth, if a team gets them in foul trouble, they'll be depending on guys who are capable, but haven't played very much at the varsity level.

The other problem, would be like the 2004-05 Regional semi-final game with Rockwood. Rockwood doubled and tripled Blakely on the offensive end (4 shots; 2 of those tip-ins/putbacks) and forced Cosby to win it outside. They didnt as they shot 5-of-35 from three-point range.

Rockwood employed the same strategy against the Eagles last Friday, this time Cosby hit, connecting on 10 3-pters, while Blakely was again held to 4 points.

I think Cosby has the best team in Region 1 or 2 - but that said, thats why they dont play the games on paper, nor CoachT.com for that matter.

PTsportswriter that was a great post. But Blakenly will have his chance because Wartburg plays man-man all the way. They are really tough when they start double teaming. I dont know much about Blakenly but what colleges are giving him consideration? He will have his chance to put up points against Jason Melton. Now I know that no matter how good your starting 5 are one of those players are going to get in foul trouble eventually. It is darn right impossible to go in the districts and state without one of your best players getting in foul trouble. I'm sure that Coach Layne will look to get Cosby in foul trouble and His Players do a great job doing that with their quickness. Just curious how does Cosby line up. Im not 100% sure but this is somewhere in the neighborhood.

Jeremy Shannon 6'1

Travis Nelson 6'0

Ray Jenkins 5'9-5'11

DJ Shannon 6'4

Jason Melton 6'2

PTsportswriter that was a great post. But Blakenly will have his chance because Wartburg plays man-man all the way. They are really tough when they start double teaming. I dont know much about Blakenly but what colleges are giving him consideration? He will have his chance to put up points against Jason Melton. Now I know that no matter how good your starting 5 are one of those players are going to get in foul trouble eventually. It is darn right impossible to go in the districts and state without one of your best players getting in foul trouble. I'm sure that Coach Layne will look to get Cosby in foul trouble and His Players do a great job doing that with their quickness. Just curious how does Cosby line up. Im not 100% sure but this is somewhere in the neighborhood.

Jeremy Shannon 6'1

Travis Nelson 6'0

Ray Jenkins 5'9-5'11

DJ Shannon 6'4

Jason Melton 6'2

Blakely goes about 6-3 or 6-4, and still has another inch or so left to grow according to those close to him. But as you know 6-3, 6-4 or 6-5 really isnt going to cut it for the inside game for college. So he's been working on the outside game; but what coach in HS - especially at Class A is gonna use this kid as a guard, when he can dominate the low post game?

I know he has been followed closely at one point or another by Air Force, Southern Illinois and ETSU. Not sure if any firm offers, but I know those three, and some others have shown interest.

Cosby's starting five goes like this:

Kelvin Rone F 6-1

Dwight Hewitt F 6-1

Blakely C 6-3

Todd Jenkins G 5-8

Dexter Manning G 5-9

(Not sure on heights, best estimate)

Any Vespie's on this team? I remember those two brothers from 2 years ago and...

I vividly recall that classic in the first round of the 2004 Regional. Cosby had Kevin Hall, their All-State caliber PG foul out, and then Blakely twisted his ankle. Got it taped up, while Manning - who just became eligible (he transferred to Cosby from Cocke County in Feb of 2003) kept Cosby in contention with a big three to cut the game to one, and then drew a huge charging call on the other end to get the ball back. Kent Black hit a big shot and Blakely came back in to get a turnover and hit two free-throws to make it a four-point lead and one of the Vespies hit a half-court bomb at the end.

Probably the best HS game I've saw in 5 years.

Dang sportswriter i knew you covered us pretty good but you know more about us than us.lol. About the wartburg/cosby matchup it would be a barnburner.I know how extremely hard they play but i dont think the pressure would be enough to beat us. Like you said Timmy is by far the best post in single A in east tn.Were alot deeper than everybody thinks too.Every Practice is competitive. If you all remember the first two games we were in awlful foul trouble and had to go 10/11 deep. The "scrubs" played better than the starting 5.lol.We just have to keep getin' better.So the best of luck to wartburg Central .

Thanks for the information. Where is Cosby playing during the Christmas Break. Wartburg will have some good ones up at Harriman. Is Blakenly the best post in the state by the "Experts" or just by fans? I dont know much about the rest of the state but I would say he is one of the tops. This is a game that will be worth the pay. I really dont know who would win. I'm a die hard Dawg fan but im not concieded in the team. They are really good but they are beatable everyone is. This game would be probley one of the best for both teams. Cosby people I look forward to seeing ya'll very soon.

No there are no longer any Vespie's at Wartburg. They are all at Temple I beleive.

Is blakenly athletic enough to play a 1 or 2? And so can he dunk because i know that can play a part.

Thanks for the information. Where is Cosby playing during the Christmas Break. Wartburg will have some good ones up at Harriman. Is Blakenly the best post in the state by the "Experts" or just by fans? I dont know much about the rest of the state but I would say he is one of the tops. This is a game that will be worth the pay. I really dont know who would win. I'm a die hard Dawg fan but im not concieded in the team. They are really good but they are beatable everyone is. This game would be probley one of the best for both teams. Cosby people I look forward to seeing ya'll very soon.

No there are no longer any Vespie's at Wartburg. They are all at Temple I beleive.

Is blakenly athletic enough to play a 1 or 2? And so can he dunk because i know that can play a part.

They play in the Union County Patriot Invitational.

They draw Cherokee on the first day. Cherokee is a Class AAA team. Decent athletes, they beat Morristown East, who Cosby beat last week. Although they are nothing spectacular. Still a AAA vs a Class A team.

They have some team (Raceland, Kentucky) and then close the tourney against an athletic Rutledge team from Class AA.

I wouldn't label Blakely the best post player in the state, by far. I'd go as far as saying he's the best in Class A-AA Districts 1-4. He'd have his way in Class AAA Districts 1 and 2 and probably 3 as well.

Haven't seen enough of 5-6 (the rest of East TN in Class A/AA and 4-6 in Class AAA) to say if he's the best in all of East Tennessee.

As far as the state, its not even close. Jay Watkins and Jeremy Williams out of Memphis Hamilton (San Francisco and Colorado commits, respectively) and Thad Young (GT Commit), and Wayne Chism (UT), Fields (Austin Peay) and Niles (Memphis) from Ridgeway, Andre Thornton (UCF) out of Memphis Mitchell, Jarvis Varnado (Miss St) out of Haywood County and Brandan Wright (UNC) of Brentwood Academy are the best post players in the state.

But you also have to remember, Blakely isnt projected to play the post in college. Probably will be a two-guard, or maybe a three.

He's athletic enough, but right now, with his focus being playing post at the HS level since summer ball ended, I'd worry that his ball handling would be rusty.

But I understand he could play it if he had too.

The key for Cosby to win, is they can't go cold from the perimeter. If they do, the opposition will be able to pack it in on Blakely.

In the regional semi's Rockwood dared Cosby to beat them by shooting the three. They doubled, and even triple teamed Blakely and he won't force anything - he's a smart player. He would kick it out for a three, and Cosby shot 5-of-35 for the night, missed a bonus situation and Rockwood came down, threw up an air-ball, Harvest got the ball and threw it in at the horn (second consecutive buzzer beater for that kid) and won 39-37.

Last week, Rockwood and Kamikawa went with the same gameplan. And why not? It costed them though, as they lost by the three, Cosby hit 10 (and won by 28). They held Blakely to only four points though.

They play in the Union County Patriot Invitational.

They draw Cherokee on the first day. Cherokee is a Class AAA team. Decent athletes, they beat Morristown East, who Cosby beat last week. Although they are nothing spectacular. Still a AAA vs a Class A team.

They have some team (Raceland, Kentucky) and then close the tourney against an athletic Rutledge team from Class AA.

I wouldn't label Blakely the best post player in the state, by far. I'd go as far as saying he's the best in Class A-AA Districts 1-4. He'd have his way in Class AAA Districts 1 and 2 and probably 3 as well.

Haven't seen enough of 5-6 (the rest of East TN in Class A/AA and 4-6 in Class AAA) to say if he's the best in all of East Tennessee.

As far as the state, its not even close. Jay Watkins and Jeremy Williams out of Memphis Hamilton (San Francisco and Colorado commits, respectively) and Thad Young (GT Commit), and Wayne Chism (UT), Fields (Austin Peay) and Niles (Memphis) from Ridgeway, Andre Thornton (UCF) out of Memphis Mitchell, Jarvis Varnado (Miss St) out of Haywood County and Brandan Wright (UNC) of Brentwood Academy are the best post players in the state.

But you also have to remember, Blakely isnt projected to play the post in college. Probably will be a two-guard, or maybe a three.

He's athletic enough, but right now, with his focus being playing post at the HS level since summer ball ended, I'd worry that his ball handling would be rusty.

But I understand he could play it if he had too.

The key for Cosby to win, is they can't go cold from the perimeter. If they do, the opposition will be able to pack it in on Blakely.

In the regional semi's Rockwood dared Cosby to beat them by shooting the three. They doubled, and even triple teamed Blakely and he won't force anything - he's a smart player. He would kick it out for a three, and Cosby shot 5-of-35 for the night, missed a bonus situation and Rockwood came down, threw up an air-ball, Harvest got the ball and threw it in at the horn (second consecutive buzzer beater for that kid) and won 39-37.

Last week, Rockwood and Kamikawa went with the same gameplan. And why not? It costed them though, as they lost by the three, Cosby hit 10 (and won by 28). They held Blakely to only four points though.

Niles is not at Ridgeway this year. He is at a prep school in Florida.