Mat Girls, Mat Maids etc

MasterBlaster 1

I knew my opinion would put a little "fuel on the fire". That's alright. But, I never put "managers/sisters/helpers/matmaids" in the same catagory. As most have mentioned, they are irreplacable. The cheerleaders on the other hand, need to be in the stands with the rest of the people cheering, or at least backed away from the mats.

To put another spin on this, TSSAA has made it a point to seperate "cheerleaders" and "managers/sisters/helpers/matmaids". At the state meet last year "cheerleaders" were allowed to get in free, while all others had to pay. What kind of message does that send? I may be wrong, but, I don't believe that's the case in any other sport. Take the state football championships as an example. Coaches send their roster in with everyone involved with the football team, including cheerleaders, for passes. For wrestling, the only individuals not paying are the coaches, wrestlers in the tournament, volunteers, and TSSAA employees. What about the rest of the team members? Why would cheerleaders be more important than the other guys on the team that helped to get these wrestlers ready for state?

Harry T., please help this old dumb southern country boy to understand what "Zzzzzzzzz" means? Did I bore you with my original post?

No, it doesn't bore me, but it's close. The girls work hard. They sacrifice entire weekends. They ADD to the excitement and electricity in the air. I'm going to suppose that the actual wrestlers are not opposed to the girls cheering them on as they compete. I DO appreciate them. As far as impeding the communication between wrestlers/coaches... C'mon, The place is a ZOO. It would be less fun if everyone had to be quiet like in golf. I'd get thrown out of the gym before the first whistle (I'm trying to be better). PLUS... How can you not love those back flips by the Soddy, and Bradley swingin' cheerleaders. I just wish we had 'em back in the day at TV12...

HT

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it doesn't bore me, but it's close. The girls work hard. They sacrifice entire weekends. They ADD to the excitement and electricity in the air. I'm going to suppose that the actual wrestlers are not opposed to the girls cheering them on as they compete. I DO appreciate them. As far as impeding the communication between wrestlers/coaches... C'mon, The place is a ZOO. It would be less fun if everyone had to be quiet like in golf. I'd get thrown out of the gym before the first whistle (I'm trying to be better). PLUS... How can you not love those back flips by the Soddy, and Bradley swingin' cheerleaders. I just wish we had 'em back in the day at TV12...

HT

Never said they didn't work hard. Never said they weren't an asset to the sport. I also appreciate what they do and what they add to the sport, but, not next to the mat. They can cheer just as well in the stands.

Do I think that they are as important to my team as my "matmaids,managers, sisters", absolutely not! Of course, someone at TSSAA does.

I'm going to assume that your not a coach that has had to sit in a corner and the opposing cheerleaders are lined up on your edge of the mat cheering, while your trying to communicate with your wrestler. No doubt, good additional weapon to have.

I'll still take my "managers,matmaids, sisters" over cheerleaders any day.

Edited by rcpatriot

Glad to see you're still alive Dr.

ND has several young girls that also do a fantastic job. These girls led by coach Vicki Merideth will give up at least 8 weekends to travel with the team and keep stats and give support. I know the boys appreciate all the hard work they do. Thanks Girls.

Bear Cat aka Tee's dad

PS Walkenvol you might want to keep an eye on you know who (Raider76)

An important meeting will take place next thurs the 6th, with intent on expanding our IWHACBP club. Details to follow

Bearcat,

Just so scores of fellow fans don't show up only to discover there's no meeting, isn't the planning/strategical tactics meetings scheduled for thur the 6TH @ 4:20 ? It'll still be at the same 5-star establishment as last time at the foot of God's 2nd favorite mountain. Our "Ultra" guy's gonna be there. See if that Mtnrasslin BWEHH can show. There's been a shakeup amongst the officers and we need someone to keep the minutes

HT

Edited by harry thornton

Never said they didn't work hard. Never said they weren't an asset to the sport. I also appreciate what they do and what they add to the sport, but, not next to the mat. They can cheer just as well in the stands.

Do I think that they are as important to my team as my "matmaids,managers, sisters", absolutely not! Of course, someone at TSSAA does.

I'm going to assume that your not a coach that has had to sit in a corner and the opposing cheerleaders are lined up on your edge of the mat cheering, while your trying to communicate with your wrestler. No doubt, good additional weapon to have.

I'll still take my "managers,matmaids, sisters" over cheerleaders any day.

You know what they say about not to ######-u-me. Harry not a coach?? You have never been to a ND tournament have you? I amost nonminated coach Harry as one of my alltime favorites but I had been fortunate to have been taught wrestling by Yogi Anderson ,Steve Hammond and the late Pez Whatley and the infamous Slim Almany from Fairyland. One quick note on Yogi and Steve. Before a huge match with McCallie in 1977 they took us to see the movie Rocky even had the band play the theme song as we came out. 63 -9 seems the boys from the big blue were a tad bit more insipired,although we thumped their butts in the district .

Harry may not get paid to coach but that hasn't stopped him from banging on the side of the mats. Keep up the good work Matmaids and Cheerleaders and Harry

bcb

Coach J in the hood has informed me the date of our meeting is actually thurs the 5th and I thought we had set the time at 2:00 but I guess 4:20 at the fine dining establisment Mervs will be ok. I thought we could send out our invitation to Coach J, raider76, Mtnrasslin,money bags geismar and a couple more.

... How can you not love those back flips by the Soddy, and Bradley swingin' cheerleaders....

IF there are to be cheerleaders for wrestling, I think the proper place for them would be either in the stands or somewhere on the floor, AWAY from the mat. The football & basketball cheerleaders at least FACE THE CROWD to LEAD them in cheers - hence the term CheerLEADERS. With the so-called cheerleaders for wrestling, they sit at mat-side - who is cheering along with them? Certainly not the wrestlers! Come on - if there are to be cheerleaders - put them where they will do the most good - in the stands or somewhere actually LEADING cheers! (And YES, the Soddy & Bradley cheerleaders are awesome - they can actually do something other than pound on the mat!)

You know what they say about not to ######-u-me. Harry not a coach?? You have never been to a ND tournament have you? I amost nonminated coach Harry as one of my alltime favorites but I had been fortunate to have been taught wrestling by Yogi Anderson ,Steve Hammond and the late Pez Whatley and the infamous Slim Almany from Fairyland. One quick note on Yogi and Steve. Before a huge match with McCallie in 1977 they took us to see the movie Rocky even had the band play the theme song as we came out. 63 -9 seems the boys from the big blue were a tad bit more insipired,although we thumped their butts in the district .

Harry may not get paid to coach but that hasn't stopped him from banging on the side of the mats. Keep up the good work Matmaids and Cheerleaders and Harry

bcb

Coach J in the hood has informed me the date of our meeting is actually thurs the 5th and I thought we had set the time at 2:00 but I guess 4:20 at the fine dining establisment Mervs will be ok. I thought we could send out our invitation to Coach J, raider76, Mtnrasslin,money bags geismar and a couple more.

Bearcat,

thanks for the kind words. As you know, I've been diligently trying to evolve from obnoxious coach/dad to just plain obnoxious dad BUT THEY JUST WON'T LET ME !!!!!! As far as the meeting goes, 2:00pm works for me. I forgot about election of officers, new business, and the planning of our upcoming calender of events '06. Since "Moneybags" will be there picking up the tab, I'll be having the lobster. YOU say what time and make it official. Also, thanks for giving credit to our old coaches. Where would we be without the inspiration (& good natured physical abuse) from "Coach Hominy Grits" ?

Bearcat,

thanks for the kind words. As you know, I've been diligently trying to evolve from obnoxious coach/dad to just plain obnoxious dad BUT THEY JUST WON'T LET ME !!!!!! As far as the meeting goes, 2:00pm works for me. I forgot about election of officers, new business, and the planning of our upcoming calender of events '06. Since "Moneybags" will be there picking up the tab, I'll be having the lobster. YOU say what time and make it official. Also, thanks for giving credit to our old coaches. Where would we be without the inspiration (& good natured physical abuse) from "Coach Hominy Grits" ?

I was somewhat confused with Thursday being declared the 6th, but now that we know it is the 5th, I am honored to be included. It may be tough to make it by 2 but I can certainly be there somewhere between 2 and 4:20.

Surley I'm invited Bear Cat, where is the meeting of dining?

Everyone is welcomed . But you must reveal yourself and be sworn to secrecy about the happenings at our meetings.

Harry how about 4:16 ?

Here Ye Here ye the IHACBP meeting will take place at Merv's Thurs 5th at 4:16

All those wishing to participate please arrive with a thirst for ....

Meeting will last for 53 minutes due to a rasslin match at the Baylor school for boys and girls vs Ringgold

Mtn rasslin if you could get the match started at 103 so Harry and I won't be late for the real match at ND vs Ooltewah

Everyone have a safe New Years

Bear Cat Brown

Go Irish

"Harry not a coach?? You have never been to a ND tournament have you?"

I forgot, everyone at ND is either a "coach" or "cheerleader". That's evident at the tournaments where you have 2 "official" coaches in one corner, another "coach" in the other two corners, and the cheerleaders next to the mats in between the opposing 2 coaches and a ND coach. :thumb:

Oh, no I've never been to a ND tournament, but would welcome the opportunity as long as I was allowed 4-6 "coaches" matside, plus my "cheerleaders". Can you imagine the electricity and excitement that H.T. referred to? ;) Do they allow "cheerleaders" in overalls and barefooted at the ND tournaments? If so, send me an invite!

"Harry not a coach?? You have never been to a ND tournament have you?"

I forgot, everyone at ND is either a "coach" or "cheerleader". That's evident at the tournaments where you have 2 "official" coaches in one corner, another "coach" in the other two corners, and the cheerleaders next to the mats in between the opposing 2 coaches and a ND coach. ;)

Oh, no I've never been to a ND tournament, but would welcome the opportunity as long as I was allowed 4-6 "coaches" matside, plus my "cheerleaders". Can you imagine the electricity and excitement that H.T. referred to? :huh: Do they allow "cheerleaders" in overalls and barefooted at the ND tournaments? If so, send me an invite!

I'm not feeling any love Coach Patriot from you for the Irish. If you would fax a copy of your schedule to ND, Harry and I would be glad to help you out, as for the attire that your cheerleaders wear, overalls and bearfoot work for us

Happy New Year Coach, You are a Coach aren't you ??

And yes everyone at ND is a coach and Cheerleader, we are just one big happy family,kinda like the 79 pirates.

GO Irish