Mat Girls, Mat Maids etc

MasterBlaster 1

But were they really cheerleaders, or just "matmaids"? There is a difference, you know.

based on what Raider76 posted, I felt no need to know the difference to qualify my post. :unsure:

Raider76's post:

I believe one of my greatest thrills in wrestling was as a freshman when the older and certainly beautiful cheerleaders showed up to our match. They sat matside cheered for us, and when they cheered for us calling us by name we were amazed and motivated. I like cheerleaders!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a former cheerleader, I have mixed emotions on this topic. High school wrestling is one of the most exciting sports ever to watch. I can remember being matside at the 1979 state wrestling tournament and being warned for hitting the mat during a match. I did not do it purposely, but just got caught up in the moment - Very embarassing! I know that the girls work hard, regardless of the role they play (manager, cheerleader, mat maid, etc.) I always felt like the boys appreciated us being there to cheer for them. Sometimes, besides parents, we would be the only fans there. But for me, it would have been better to be in the stands yelling rather than down next to the mat.

Chattanooga today still has very exciting wrestling matches and I love to go and see my friends son's compete! I am there screaming - but safely in the stands!

Bear Cat and Harry T - I hope you all have a fun meeting Thursday! Good luck to your boys!

Edited by cityhi79