wrestling region and state

intothechance

The new handbook (available online at TSSAA site) has no such requirement. My understanding is that the new weight certification guidelines replaced the old "half of your matches" rule.

If you have been in compliance with new weight cert. program, you can wrestle at the region in whatever weight class you are elligible for, regardless of whether you have previously wrestled at that weight this season. At State you have to wrestle in the weight class in which you qualified at the regions.

Let the rule experts confirm or correct my understanding.

Edited by Aspen

my coach won't let me wrestle heavy..apparently it wouldn't be fair to our heavy...i wasn't planning on beating anyone at state, lol i just noticed heavyweight (for the most part) is easier in my region than 215

and i don't use headthrows, but i love when people try them on me :blink:

Edited by intothechance

from what i beleive is right(dont hold me to it)...but to wrestle individual region and state at a weight u had to wreslte half of your total matches at that one weight.....that what heard

GA wrestling has less surprises like a David Johnson dropping from 160 to 152 with a 1/2 your total match rule down there.

Historical note: If recall is correct, the original one-half rule (enacted during the late sixties to discourage dropping weight for the State toward the end of the season) was exactly that, one-half the matches had to be at a given weight to qualify for the State series. Since this disqualified completely a wrestler who had matches at three or more weights, but half at no weight, the rule was changed during the early seventies to allow a wrestler to qualify at the weight class inwhich his one-half matches occurred allowing those matches wrestled below that weight to be included in the count.

This note addresses historical info only. I do not know anything about the current status.