Baylor team compare to past great teams!

keefjams

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same questions were asked all year about USC football then they were knocked off by Texas in the Rose Bowl. Why don't we wait until after the state series before we start making comparisons to past greatness? I know they are favored in both tournaments, but they still have to perform and someone could surprise them.

I concur. This discussion is not yet deserved. There is much work to be done and there will have to be a great deal of continued improvement before this team can be considered for that level of praise.

Edited by mtnrasslin

Which team is considered the benchmark for comparision?

I think you would have to say that the 1970 team that won the Mid-South and the National Prep Championship at Lehigh would certainly be one benchmark. By the way, Deaddux was one of many great wrestlers on that team. Hmmm, 1970, thats about, what, 36 years ago. That would make Deaddux about... Oh well, never mind.

I think you would have to say that the 1970 team that won the Mid-South and the National Prep Championship at Lehigh would certainly be one benchmark. By the way, Deaddux was one of many great wrestlers on that team. Hmmm, 1970, thats about, what, 36 years ago. That would make Deaddux about... Oh well, never mind.

The pony tail keeps him looking young though.

Which team is considered the benchmark for comparision?

they had great teams w/ mo trail , charlie moore(LSU)Chip Healy exact years i am not that clear -

early to mid 60's --in 68 they had Alec Roberts arguably the best or one of the best to ever wrestle for Baylor , he wrestled varsity as a 7th grader and while at Ga. TEch -put Wayne Wells olympic gold medalist on his back twice only to later lose that match -69 rob healy two time national champion - in 70 they won the national preps up in Lehigh,Pa. vs. the likes of Blair Acadamy , Hershey , Lawrenceville , and many others - several other Baylor and McCallie teams brought back 2nd place trophies but 70 was the only year to bring back the team trophy- you have to mention 78 with the likes of Mark Lyle , Scott Kelly ,Bob bullard , Doug Dyer and others -you have to mention the late 90's early 2000's with the solid teams they had geismars , thompsons , dosters, wheland,matthews ( he really rose to occasion @ state duals vs. that purple team)oh yea there was Jordan Leen , a red headed wonder who put in 5 years of varsity time toward the end of that era -nate rawlings and james scott who are both recently deplored to Iraq-then the manson boys starting in - guess we could go on for a while - these are fun arguments we can have around the watering hole, the good thing about getting older is you get better each year you are removed from comp.- later JT

Edited by deaddux