The only real difference

possum

The only advantage or disadvantage I see between publics and privates is selling their programs. Agreed there are counties that have open zones, however I think the only advantage privates have is getting a headmaster or president in their school that agressively promotes or sells their program and draws kids from surounding counties, and in some cases like Memphis or Chattanooga, even states. However, I can see this as a disadvantage for those schools because in order to opperate they must spend valuble resources in promoting their schools to attract those customers. In order for a private to be successful they must sell their program whether it be religion, athletics, or academics. Really, the only real advantage a private will have over a public is in 1a or 2a, and only those publics that are rural in nature. I really don't think their is a noticable difference In 4 and 5a publics and DII because they are always going to have the numbers, and with that I think coaching tends to be more of a factor.