JV Games

softballdad33

Can someone tell me why so many schools don't want to play their JV games? I know they don't count on you win/loss record and really don't mean anything, but it does give the girls on your team that don't get to play much some playing time and it also prepare's them for next year as well. Can someone explain this to me please?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone tell me why so many schools don't want to play their JV games? I know they don't count on you win/loss record and really don't mean anything, but it does give the girls on your team that don't get to play much some playing time and it also prepare's them for next year as well. Can someone explain this to me please?

In my mind, some teams have to play players that are on Varsity and don't want to risk injury, but also I have to ask the question..Why schedule the games, if your not going to play them?...Bigger schools will probably play a JV schedule, but some A and smaller AA schools will not because of a risk for injury.....This is just my opinion...

Edited by Bledsoebtheboys

I agree with you. Our school has a mixed roster where some of our girls play both JV and varsity, but we still play our jv games because it get the girls that don't play varsity on the feild and it gets the one's that might be in slump with the bat's more at bat's, and I'm like you if your not going to play them don't schedule them. We have had so many JV games cancelled it isn't funny.

I agree with you. Our school has a mixed roster where some of our girls play both JV and varsity, but we still play our jv games because it get the girls that don't play varsity on the feild and it gets the one's that might be in slump with the bat's more at bat's, and I'm like you if your not going to play them don't schedule them. We have had so many JV games cancelled it isn't funny.

We have about 3 players that play Varsity that play JV and one is a pitcher and they pitch her to get her some games that way when she comes in a Varsity game she might not be as "rusty".....We played about 4 JV games at the beginning of the year and haven't played any since but also when your JV players complain about not getting to even dress out on Varsity and that there strictly JV and after a while they just quit and sometimes it's the best thing to do....I will say that Bledsoe has 12 Varsity players and the rest are JV and will probably never play in a Varsity game...We take 12 players to away games and 2 of them are strictly for running for our pitcher and catcher when they get on base....Once again Just My Opinion....

I have found with any sport not just softball JV games tend to be a joke. Most get cancelled and there are usually just a few games anyway. I feel the coach should make the varsity team with whatever she thinks she needs and cut the rest. I think coaches are afraid to make the cuts because of hurt feelings or mad parents and this is their way of dealing with it. The JV team isnt going to get enough time on the field to matter :thumb:

I have found with any sport not just softball JV games tend to be a joke. Most get cancelled and there are usually just a few games anyway. I feel the coach should make the varsity team with whatever she thinks she needs and cut the rest. I think coaches are afraid to make the cuts because of hurt feelings or mad parents and this is their way of dealing with it. The JV team isnt going to get enough time on the field to matter :thumb:

I agree with your opinion also....Most coaches are afraid to cut players, strictly because of making parents mad, hurting feelings, etc.....That's part of a coaches job is to keep the 12 or 13 players that she thinks is the best and cut the rest, but I guess not everybody see's it this way....

We have a bunch of girls that are on our JV team that in the future like next year will contirbute to our varsity team. I just think that your JV games is a great way to get those girls valuable playing time for next year. Those girls worked during the offseason just like the varsity girls did and they deserve their time to play as well. Like you this is just my opinion.

We have a bunch of girls that are on our JV team that in the future like next year will contirbute to our varsity team. I just think that your JV games is a great way to get those girls valuable playing time for next year. Those girls worked during the offseason just like the varsity girls did and they deserve their time to play as well. Like you this is just my opinion.

I understand your argument......But where I from we have about 12 players that are worthy of keeping and the others are one's that either haven't ever played or haven't played since they were in elementary school and honestly if you haven't played since then or haven't played at all, then you probably can't play now.....

The thing is they(the JV) are not going to get their time. The only time they are going to get is on the bench. And it is a frustrating place to be. Some girls after being on JV will not even come back the next year because of their frustrations.

We will have to agree to disagree on that comment, because we have a girl that is on our varsity team that hasn't played since 7th or 8th grade. She stopped playing softball and started cheerleading. Well this is her Jr. year and she has started playing softball again and is in the top 3-5 in batting avg. on our team. So if your athletic enough you can still play at a high level. I tell this girl all the time if she would have stayed with softball she could and still might paly at the next level. Now with that being said she want go anywhere big but she has the talent to play if she wants to and she hasn't played in I guess 4 years.

We will have to agree to disagree on that comment, because we have a girl that is on our varsity team that hasn't played since 7th or 8th grade. She stopped playing softball and started cheerleading. Well this is her Jr. year and she has started playing softball again and is in the top 3-5 in batting avg. on our team. So if your athletic enough you can still play at a high level. I tell this girl all the time if she would have stayed with softball she could and still might paly at the next level. Now with that being said she want go anywhere big but she has the talent to play if she wants to and she hasn't played in I guess 4 years.

What size is the school that your from? A,AA,AAA? Some teams do not get the talent that other's do and have to settle for having players that aren't that good....