District 8 A/AA

smittygk00

Let the debate begin. There are only four legitimate contenders:

*Station Camp - probably the best combination of speed and size in the district. looks for quick counterattacks to provide most offense. not highly skilled, but solid discipline helps hide weaknesses and gives them a chance to win any game.

*Portland - the most talented team in the district. possesses the ball well and methodically dominates opponents. struggles to score against decent competition and suffers occassional mental breakdowns, but solid play always keeps them dangerous.

*White House - hardest working team in the district. not extremely skilled, but work ethic and physical play make them a constant threat to go on a scoring spree. has trouble finding the net at times, but, as was mentioned, style of play keeps anything possible.

*Friendship Christian - most frustrating team in the district. probably the least skilled of the contenders, but solid team play makes them a difficult team to put away. plays to the level of its opponent, which makes for many nerve-racking close calls.

So let's hear some opinions and see who can back it up in May...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the top 2 could be switched as well as 3 and 4 but if station camp wins the rest of their games then they will be regular season disctrict champs which doesnt really mean anything come tournament time. I really think ethier of the 4 teams could win district tournament white house being the weakest link out of the 4 but still a good chance with their work ethic. Portland has probably the most all around skill but station camp and friendship have more skill in certain positions who play major roles.

Edited by llj1137075

I think the top 2 could be switched as well as 3 and 4 but if station camp wins the rest of their games then they will be regular season disctrict champs which doesnt really mean anything come tournament time. I really think ethier of the 4 teams could win district tournament white house being the weakest link out of the 4 but still a good chance with their work ethic. Portland has probably the most all around skill but station camp and friendship have more skill in certain positions who play major roles.

I did not have them in any order as far as my opinions go. If I did have to pick, I would say Portland, Station Camp, White House, Friendship. I don't know if I would say that Station Camp or Friendship have more skill at key positions... I would say Station Camp uses their skill better though. Friendship is weird though simply because I do not see a good team when I watch them, but they always seem to be in the game. Station Camp and White House both played well at the WHHS Tourney, and Portland has not been scored on since the Friendship game (9 shutouts in 12 games). So many interesing things that make this a fun district to watch.

Portland 3, Merrol Hyde 0

Field was slick and probably kept Portland from hammering Merrol Hyde on the scoreboard, though the game was never really close. MH did not manage a shot on goal, while Portland had near 30 (with only 10 coming on frame).

Someone give me details on the Friendship - Station Camp game.

Portland 1, Wilson Central 1

Portland seemed to sleep through the first half, but escaped 0-0 at the break. Got a goal off of turnover, then conceded a goal less than three minutes later. Portland woke up at that point and controlled the remainder of the game and many great opportunities, but couldn't capitalize. Both teams played well and it was one of the more exciting games of the year for both teams

White House 3, Merrol Hyde 0

White House should have won by a lot more than they did. White House had a lot of shots in the first half, and controlled most ofthe game. The officiating was horrible White House was called offside at least 10 times, and they were on side on most of them. Merrol Hyde got most of the calls in their favor, they got away with pushing while White House was called with very little contact.

White House 3, Merrol Hyde 0

White House should have won by a lot more than they did. White House had a lot of shots in the first half, and controlled most ofthe game. The officiating was horrible...

Yeah the officiating was horrible, but let's not blame the refs for the outcome and put down an opponent. Hyde had a decent defense and WH missed a lot of easy shots (which is either due to the WH shooters errors or the Hyde defense pressure - which is it?). If you follow this thread upwards, you'll see this has been a problem others have seen in WH.

The WH/Portland game is a big one for the district. May the best team win!! :thumb: