Notre Dame at Knox Catholic

Hoya

SO were you already up 2-0 or what

No. The game was 1-0 when Catholic went down a man. The second goal came short-handed on a very nice finish by Catholic's freshman forward.

I really felt that Catholic's defense was the difference in the game. Senior center back Joel Adams and his fellow defenders were very steady. Other than Catholic's loss to Christian Brothers, the Irish defenders have given up only one goal off the field all season, the other goal allowed being a PK. I'm pretty sure ND out shot the Catholic team, but most of their shots lacked pace and were from long distance because of the Catholic defenders' great work ethic. It was a nice win for Catholic against a strong Notre Dame team. They will probably see each other again.

Edited by hoya75

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious, I read in one of the post that either a Knox Catholic or ND player was carded for shoving. What happened. Curious because the ND goalie shoved 2 Baylor players...one that was not even involved in the player. The ref gave the goalie a talking to but he should have been carded. Just curious and congrats to Catholic.

ND was easily one of the worst displays of sportmanship i have ever seen. They would go in late after every tackle, even when the ball was on the other side of the field they took cheap shots on catholic players. The ref basically lost control of the game. congrats to catholic on a well fought game.

ND was easily one of the worst displays of sportmanship i have ever seen. They would go in late after every tackle, even when the ball was on the other side of the field they took cheap shots on catholic players. The ref basically lost control of the game. congrats to catholic on a well fought game.

For as long as I can remember, ND v. Catholic games have been "hotly contested". If you've been around as long as I have, you'd know that some years the words "hotly contested" would be a gigantic understatement. These games are never, ever boring.

I truly don't agree that ND generally displayed bad sportsmanship, nor do I think they were late with their tackles or were generally cheap shotting the Catholic players. I think ND is a very good, physically aggressive team, as is Catholic. I also think that one or two of ND's players were engaging in an inordinate amount of off-the-ball gamesmanship behind the referee's back. That, in turn, led to some hot tempers and an ill advised card. Most of the incidents I noticed occurred in the second half when ND was trailing and desperately trying to gain control of the match. I didn't like some of the behavior, but it is present in many matches and it certainly is not something that is unique in any way to Notre Dame.

Overall, I thought the referee had complete control of the match. He could have used a little help from his assistants who probably saw some of the aggravating behavior. It was a very fast paced, well played match between two evenly matched teams and I thought the officials were among the best I've seen all year. That doesn't mean I agreed with every call, but I would want that crew back anytime.

Finally, I, too, say congratulations to Catholic for winning a tough match. Good luck in Chattanooga this weekend. :(

Thanks, Hoya75, for providing what appears to be a more reasoned, balanced assessment of the game. I wasn't there, but have followed Notre Dame in the past and know a lot of the players.

It's easy to view a soccer game, which is going to be hotly contested if played well, through the prism of your team's interests, but you managed to overcome that and present a balanced view and I appreciate that. Well done!

Edited by tennfitz

Most of the players for Notre Dame played hard, physical soccer (too physical in my opinion, but that's the ref's call), but numbers 3 and 23 were just being bad sports. #3 was actually cursing at our fans and picked up a soccer ball and kicked it at my head! Talk about good sports!

Most of the players for Notre Dame played hard, physical soccer (too physical in my opinion, but that's the ref's call), but numbers 3 and 23 were just being bad sports. #3 was actually cursing at our fans and picked up a soccer ball and kicked it at my head! Talk about good sports!

thats part of the game...

thats part of the game...

No, it's not part of the game...

While the fans do get out of control, the young men on the field should play with class. I know I am in the minority here, and I know I will get blasted by all the "winning is everything" crowd, but I will continue to coach this way until they ask me to retire.

Yeah..dsl are you kidding? He probably hit the ball out of bounds and it almost hit you. That does not mean its on purpose. Another thing is #3 was not playing dirty. Even if he was, I'm pretty sure it was going both ways. He did a great job not to hit that other player who shoved him because I'm pretty sure that kid was taking cheap shots all game. This conversation could go either way. It's not that we are poor srorts, cause we aren't. We play physical, and thats a strong part of our mentality. Not dirty, but physical.