TSSAA'S against multiple games on weekends?

cakes

I'm curious which club teams you're discussing that aren't allowed to play 3 games in a 24 hour period??Any tournament we've participated in always has at least 3 games , hopefully 4 :rolleyes: .On ocassion with a semifinal scheduled, the girls have even had 3 games on a Sunday.Yes, it's hot but if we'd been down at the Atlanta tournament this past weekend with the boys, we would have been scheduled for the same amount of games. K

But not with 80 minute games. Most tournaments with u16 and up go to 80 minutes for the semi and final but not the group play.

Additionally if you have a early Sat. game (say 8:00 AM) and a second game that afternoon, your first Sunday game would be outside the 24 time frame. You wouldn't get another early game.

At the GPS tournament teams were playing 3 80 minute games in less than 20 hours. I think ECS played Friday at 7:00 and their 3rd game Sat. started at 3:00 at Ooltewah I think.

Also, I've coached girls for 8 years, two teams at a time, and I've only seen 3 games in a day once. Maybe it's different with the boys.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The official rule for club soccer in Tennessee is no more than 2 games or say 160 minutes in one day. If you play 3 games, it should not exceed 160 minutes for the day. This of course comes down to fatigue and an increase risk of injury.

As far as the club/school issue it is a hard decision. The first question should always be "What is best for the player?". Secondly remember they are "Student Athletes" and not the other way around.

I would like to see the kids get released on a minimal level for these high end club tournaments. A full commitment for both club and highschool is to much.

It was nice last year when the boys 90 ODP team got to participate at Nationals. I am not sure if they had to get permission to attend.

How many players does FRA have? Seems like 3 games wouldn`t be out of the question if you have a decent number of players on the team and substitute regulary.

I think they have 22 and normally rotate 13-16 depending on the game. More should be in the mix as they gain experience. Probably not much different than most teams this time of the year. Being a very small school they have never had enough players for a real JV team, which is unfortunate. Three games isn't out of the question. What made it so difficult was having to play Baylor at 10:00 am and then to turn around and have to play Notre Dame at 3:00 pm both on the other team's home field at field temps which were probably close to if not over 100 degrees. No excuses though, they got beat by two of the best teams in the state. When some of the regulars started having serious problems from the heat, subs did start coming in regularly, they just weren't many of the starters. The young girls got a real taste of what it's like to play against a real quality team like Notre Dame.

Edited by zzzzz

I think they have 22 and normally rotate 13-16 depending on the game. More should be in the mix as they gain experience. Probably not much different than most teams this time of the year. Being a very small school they have never had enough players for a real JV team, which is unfortunate. Three games isn't out of the question. What made it so difficult was having to play Baylor at 10:00 am and then to turn around and have to play Notre Dame at 3:00 pm both on the other teams home field at field temps which were probably close to if not over 100 degrees. No excuses though, they got beat by two of the best teams in the state.

Is FRA weaker than most years, or just having an off tournament?

It's still incredible to me that someone would have to get permission from TSSAA to participate with the National team (or any other team for that matter).......

I still am incredulous that TSSAA knows better than someone's parents.

I cannot begin to express how little respect I have or how little I care for what the TSSAA has to say about anything. It is never really about the kids, it is always about the TSSAA or the coaches.

I wish the hgh schools would all tell the TSSAA to pound sand and all opt out.

Is FRA weaker than most years, or just having an off tournament?

Right now you would have to say FRA looks weaker...they have to prove it on the field. On paper they should be better or as good, but they have not shown it. The veterans have to step up and sacrifice as necessary and the Freshman have to prove they can fill in a couple of spots. Right now they are giving up too many goals, spending too much time on defense and not finishing opportunities...but that is the difference in winning and losing. Some players may not be in good condition and some may be injured, but that is something you have to deal with. I'm sure that Coach Mac is on top of the issues and will pull them together. I'd say they have played as tough a schedule as anyone, but they have not shown that they can rise the occasion yet...as a supporter of FRA I hope it all gels!

Actually we have played the Sat pm game and then turned around and played the Sun am game at some tournaments we've been to in the past( luck of the draw??)We've also played 3 games on Sun in the past.

As far as the length of the game, you are correct the U-16 ( in the Atlanta tourny) did not play 80 min games, however they did play 70 min games.So just a 5min half difference??Also several of the brackets did have semi-final matches..so if a team was able to advance ,they had the potential to play 3 Sunday games.

As far as the TSSAA rule,I don't think that it's possible for some outside entity to determine ( more so than the parents) what is in the best interest of the player. Obviously it's too much to carry a full HS schedule and a full club schedule at the same time.However, the players should be able to participate in specialty tournaments( ODP, college showcase, regional,national events) during the school season, if all logistics can be worked out between player,parents, and coaches.They shouldn't be placed in an "either or"position and forced to choose between their teams.If there are abuses of the system then TSSAA needs to address those teams directly( just as with the new proposition being discussed) rather than passing a 'blanket 'policy.

Actually we have played the Sat pm game and then turned around and played the Sun am game at some tournaments we've been to in the past( luck of the draw??)We've also played 3 games on Sun in the past.

As far as the length of the game, you are correct the U-16 ( in the Atlanta tourny) did not play 80 min games, however they did play 70 min games.So just a 5min half difference??Also several of the brackets did have semi-final matches..so if a team was able to advance ,they had the potential to play 3 Sunday games.

As far as the TSSAA rule,I don't think that it's possible for some outside entity to determine ( more so than the parents) what is in the best interest of the player. Obviously it's too much to carry a full HS schedule and a full club schedule at the same time.However, the players should be able to participate in specialty tournaments( ODP, college showcase, regional,national events) during the school season, if all logistics can be worked out between player,parents, and coaches.They shouldn't be placed in an "either or"position and forced to choose between their teams.If there are abuses of the system then TSSAA needs to address those teams directly( just as with the new proposition being discussed) rather than passing a 'blanket 'policy.

A 5 minute difference per half ends up being a 30 minute difference over three games. It doesn't sound like a lot until you're the one playing and it's 95 mid-afternoon. 30 minutes less and FRA ties Notre Dame instead of losing 2-0 (and it wasn't that close in the 2nd).

Again, I'm just interested that TSSAA will allow it , and will allow students to play multiple high school sports with no known restrictions, but decides that it's not in their best interest to be available for club.

I'm not even saying they should play club during high school, I'm saying that they shouldn't be the ones deciding what is best for the student away from school, it should be the parents. They shouldn't have any policy regarding playing for club at all imo.

A 5 minute difference per half ends up being a 30 minute difference over three games. It doesn't sound like a lot until you're the one playing and it's 95 mid-afternoon. 30 minutes less and FRA ties Notre Dame instead of losing 2-0 (and it wasn't that close in the 2nd).

Again, I'm just interested that TSSAA will allow it , and will allow students to play multiple high school sports with no known restrictions, but decides that it's not in their best interest to be available for club.

I'm not even saying they should play club during high school, I'm saying that they shouldn't be the ones deciding what is best for the student away from school, it should be the parents. They shouldn't have any policy regarding playing for club at all imo.

While I agree with all of your points, from a pure coaching standpoint, it sure makes things alot easier with "fighting" for time with a club team. Im not the "bad guy" telling the club team that I have to have them at highschool for this or that practice.

Now, the bad side of that, is if a club decides to play their major season during my highschool season (for example the Dallas Cup, one of the biggest tournaments in the U.S. is played in the spring). If any of my players want to play in it, they cannot play highschool, unless they are playing in the Dallas cup with the National team.