Independence at Brentwood

kickgrass

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually not a district game. Since Brentwood and Independence are in different sides of the District it does not count in the District standings for tournament seeding purposes.

Should be a very good game regardless. Independence is a tough opponent for anyone.

While that was the case last year and the year before, it is my understanding that is no longer the case, which does make it a district game.

While that was the case last year and the year before, it is my understanding that is no longer the case, which does make it a district game.

Does not count in District seeding.

Independence is grouped with Hillsboro, Hillwood, and Overton.

Brentwood is grouped with Franklin, Centennial and Ravenwood.

Indy will likely finish as #1 seed in their side and play the #4 team from the other side of the District in first round of tournament play.

I'm not sure that is the case for this season. Since opening Independence has been on the Hillwood, Hillsboro, etc side. But I think this year they have moved over.

Which brings another question to point. Why is the district separated into the "strong" Cenntenial, Brentwood, Franklin, Ravenwood, Independence side and the weak "Hillwood, Hillsboro, etc" side? It really makes the District Tournament (which is arguably the most difficult in the state to advance from) pairings messed up. The best team in the "weak" side should not be a #1 seed and play the #4 from the other side. If it is a District they should all play each other and seed #1 through #8. Because if the #1 seed on the "weak" side wins their 1st round game, the pairings that the other side have played for all season are switched. Because (per TSSAA) 2 #1 seeds can not play in the semi-finals. So if winning the district "strong" side you instead of playing the #4 seed from the "strong" side or the #1 seed from the "weak" side you instead have to play the #3 seed from the "strong" side. While the #2 seed from the "strong" side plays the #1 seed from the "weak" side.

I know this seems confusing, but it's the way that TSSAA has drawn it up. Hasn't happened yet, but 1 day it will. Almost did last year when Independence lost the 1st round game to Ravenwood in overtime.

This is not meant as a disrespect to the teams that are on the "weak" side, but the truth is the level of soccer is significantly different. Independence has improved (as everyone knew they would) to the point that they should be playing on the "strong" side.

I'm not sure that is the case for this season. Since opening Independence has been on the Hillwood, Hillsboro, etc side. But I think this year they have moved over.

Which brings another question to point. Why is the district separated into the "strong" Cenntenial, Brentwood, Franklin, Ravenwood, Independence side and the weak "Hillwood, Hillsboro, etc" side? It really makes the District Tournament (which is arguably the most difficult in the state to advance from) pairings messed up. The best team in the "weak" side should not be a #1 seed and play the #4 from the other side. If it is a District they should all play each other and seed #1 through #8. Because if the #1 seed on the "weak" side wins their 1st round game, the pairings that the other side have played for all season are switched. Because (per TSSAA) 2 #1 seeds can not play in the semi-finals. So if winning the district "strong" side you instead of playing the #4 seed from the "strong" side or the #1 seed from the "weak" side you instead have to play the #3 seed from the "strong" side. While the #2 seed from the "strong" side plays the #1 seed from the "weak" side.

I know this seems confusing, but it's the way that TSSAA has drawn it up. Hasn't happened yet, but 1 day it will. Almost did last year when Independence lost the 1st round game to Ravenwood in overtime.

This is not meant as a disrespect to the teams that are on the "weak" side, but the truth is the level of soccer is significantly different. Independence has improved (as everyone knew they would) to the point that they should be playing on the "strong" side.

Next year the District will be one division of 8 teams.

This year it is as it has been previously noted.

This happens all over the state. No real easy way to mix it up. What about the state tournament, where the #1 and #2 teams can meet up in the quarterfinals?

It is a shame that sometimes the best 8 teams don't make it to the tournament, but how else would you do it fairly?

Don't take what I said out of context. My statement was not about Independence and where they are playing. It's about the way that the TSSAA splits districts and then seeds them in the tournament in the manner that they do.

As I said before. Everyone in the district should play each other and seed them 1-8 based upon the results. Then 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, etc. 1 and 4 are on the same side of the bracket, 2 and 3 are on the opposite side.

Don't take what I said out of context. My statement was not about Independence and where they are playing. It's about the way that the TSSAA splits districts and then seeds them in the tournament in the manner that they do.

As I said before. Everyone in the district should play each other and seed them 1-8 based upon the results. Then 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, etc. 1 and 4 are on the same side of the bracket, 2 and 3 are on the opposite side.

That is actually up to your district. In Knoxville, that is how we do it.

The thing that frustrates me, is how the TSSAA comes up with the districts themselves! CAK has to travel to Crossville and Oliver Springs (1 hour and a half is opposite directions) when Alcoa and Austin East are right down the road in another REGION! I never have gotten a clear definition on how they split them up.

The coaches split the district and do the scheduling I believe.