Houston Upsets Central

philtenn

Houston beat Central tonight by 6 in a low scoring affair. The final score was something like 53 - 47. At the end of the 1st quarter the score was 4-4, a clue as to how defense would determine the game. Houston led by as much as 11 points.

Houston played great man-to-man help defense while Central's famous pressure defense was unable to cause a significant number of turnovers. Even when they got a turnover, they had trouble finding cheap baskets. For the most part, Houston contested everything inside and made central take shots away from the basket and the jump shots didn't fall.

Central, the tough team that they are, mounted a ferocious come back by finally getting a clump of turnovrers and was able to get the the score down to a 4 point deficit, but Houston hung on with clutch free throws from Sarah Watkins, April Drake, and Sarah Womack.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Houston beat Central tonight by 6 in a low scoring affair. The final score was something like 53 - 47. At the end of the 1st quarter the score was 4-4, a clue as to how defense would determine the game. Houston led by as much as 11 points.

Houston played great man-to-man help defense while Central's famous pressure defense was unable to cause a significant number of turnovers. Even when they got a turnover, they had trouble finding cheap baskets. For the most part, Houston contested everything inside and made central take shots away from the basket and the jump shots didn't fall.

Central, the tough team that they are, mounted a ferocious come back by finally getting a clump of turnovrers and was able to get the the score down to a 4 point deficit, but Houston hung on with clutch free throws from Sarah Watkins, April Drake, and Sarah Womack.

That's a big win for Houston!! Cental is a very GOOD basketball team.

Now that you have seen Houston play both Central and Millington, How would you compare the 2 teams?

Edited by Rob_M

That's a big win for Houston!! Cental is a very GOOD basketball team.

Now that you have seen Houston play both Central and Millington, How would you compare the 2 teams?

Sometimes basketball is almost like a chess match. A lot of strategy has to go into the planning to making the most of any advantage at any given positions. Millington is a guard oriented team and would probably attack Central differently than Houston did. Houston's strength has got to be it's post play with solid senior Carolyn Boyd, and super soph, Sarah Watson ( This kid is a ball player!) With steady guard play they can be a solid team.

Millington has some young ladies that can just flat out go. They might be a hard matchup for Central just because of their pressure, their speed, and their ability to get points from so many positions on the floor. :ph34r:

Rob M, I know you didn't ask me the question, but having seen these teams I thought I would add my two cents worth. A Central - Millington matchup would happen in the second round of the Collierville tournament if both win their first round games. If it happens, it should be ONE OF THE BEST games in what looks like a great tournament.

Good Luck Millington!! :lol:

Sometimes basketball is almost like a chess match. A lot of strategy has to go into the planning to making the most of any advantage at any given positions. Millington is a guard oriented team and would probably attack Central differently than Houston did. Houston's strength has got to be it's post play with solid senior Carolyn Boyd, and super soph, Sarah Watson ( This kid is a ball player!) With steady guard play they can be a solid team.

Millington has some young ladies that can just flat out go. They might be a hard matchup for Central just because of their pressure, their speed, and their ability to get points from so many positions on the floor. :ph34r:

Rob M, I know you didn't ask me the question, but having seen these teams I thought I would add my two cents worth. A Central - Millington matchup would happen in the second round of the Collierville tournament if both win their first round games. If it happens, it should be ONE OF THE BEST games in what looks like a great tournament.

Good Luck Millington!! :lol:

You mean Sarah WATKINS not Sara Watson. Watson, also a super soph post player, plays for Bolton. Unfortunately for her, she doesn't have the support that Watkins has around her at Houston. :lol:

You're right. I always get their names mixed up, partly because they are both super sophs.

So what do you think are White Station's chances of messing up this showdown of the Titans?:ph34r: How about an analysis of Millington's first game of the tournament?

Edited by philtenn

it was a very good game tonight. The half time score was 18 to 11 in favor of Houston. Houston played great help side man defense with few break downs. Coach Smith made great adjustments during this game. Both coaches did an excellent job... too bad someone had to lose.

Like heavy weight fighters, styles and matchups make the fight. Some teams just don't match up well with the style of play the team is use to seeing. That's the great thing about this Collierville tournament. So many different styles will be seen. I look forward in playing in the tournament.

So what do you think are White Station's chances of messing up this showdown of the Titans?:) How about an analysis of Millington's first game of the tournament?

Honestly, I don't know a whole lot about this year's White Station team. I've heard they have a new head coach. I know they also have some good young players as well (whose names I don't know); and an especially good (point?) guard who is also a sophomore I believe. Anything else I could add would be a guess; a wild guess at that. I don't like guessing. I don't mean to imply anything by saying a Central-Millington matchup would be a good game. A White Station - Bolton matchup might be equally entertaining, but based on what I do know, I don't think it is likely to happen.

Honestly, I don't know a whole lot about this year's White Station team. I've heard they have a new head coach. I know they also have some good young players as well (whose names I don't know); and an especially good (point?) guard who is also a sophomore I believe. Anything else I could add would be a guess; a wild guess at that. I don't like guessing. I don't mean to imply anything by saying a Central-Millington matchup would be a good game. A White Station - Bolton matchup might be equally entertaining, but based on what I do know, I don't think it is likely to happen.

White Station has a ton of talent. Yo-Yo is the point guard and Chi-Chi is the post player. They are both Sophomores. I'm not taking anything from the rest of the team but those two young players are who I remember from this summer. They have great abilities and great attitudes. We have our hands full with White Station.

One thing for sure about this tournament is that you will get to see a ton of super sophs. That class is full of future and present stars. Watkins and Watson are just two. There is also James (Bartlett), Walker (Bartlett), McLaughlin (Millington), Robinson (Millington), Young (Collierville), Womack (Houston), and there are others. That's just some of the ones in the tournament. The seniors and juniors this year have apparently had a tough job winning those starting positions.

Edited by philtenn