The Coaches Poll

BayouBear

QUOTE(BayouBear @ Jan 22 2007 - 10:54 AM) 826340913[/snapback]

papabear - My comments were not directed to you. They were in response to comments made by ANIMAL. Sorry for the confusion.

BayouBear,

I feel that you have several plausible points regarding the current ranking system. It's unfortunate that THE ANIMAL elected to respond in such a condescending manner. ("A DADDY"S POLL") obviously he isn't aware or either doesn't appreciate the contributions many "DADDY'S" make to this great sport.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(slowstart @ Jan 22 2007 - 05:16 PM) 826341377[/snapback]

BayouBear,

I feel that you have several plausible points regarding the current ranking system. It's unfortunate that THE ANIMAL elected to respond in such a condescending manner. ("A DADDY"S POLL") obviously he isn't aware or either doesn't appreciate the contributions many "DADDY'S" make to this great sport.

Foe goodness sakes,don't forget about MOMs

bcb

Where do I begin?

Part I

Last week when the Tennessee Coaches’ High School Wrestling Poll was posted on this web site (under two threads) about 500 hits occurred with no additional comments in agreement or with any argument about the order. It just sat there for a week. Four days ago, a post challenged the purpose, validity, and the organization of the poll. That thread resulted in over 2000 hits and generated 40 comments. Questions come up each year, and I am glad that interest is generated, but the news and discussions should be about the wrestlers, their team, and their coaches, not about the pollsters. Enter comment about “don’t kill the messenger”.

Subsequent posts even challenged the integrity of the pollsters. Lack of information does lend a sense of mystery (Shroud of Turin, Jimmy Hoffa, Area 51), but lack of information about a high school wrestling poll should not lead to sarcasm and animosity. Just because a person does not agree with the scope or the results of the poll is no reason to challenge its existence or to challenge the integrity of those who participate.

Part II

Below is an updated summary of an updated summary of an updated summary that has been posted periodically on coach-t over the past few years.

At the end of the 1991 wrestling season, several coaches were discussing ideas to promote wrestling in Tennessee. One of the ideas was to creating a state wide wrestling poll determined by coaches and sport writers. For various reasons, the sports writers were dropped after several years, but we continue with a very talented group of wrestling coaches. The purpose was and still is to promote high school wrestling in our state and recognize those teams that have performed at an outstanding level of achievement. From the beginning, we considered all Tennessee teams in one poll.

None of the pollsters are under contract and each pollster is perfectly willing to volunteer information telling how he voted, but I do not have their permission to state names or votes. I can merely thank them in person for their dedication in promoting wrestling. For the record, I am one of the pollsters.

FYI: The eleven pollsters are picked based on their coaching experience, objectivity, geographic distribution, division distribution, enthusiasm for the task, willingness to share their time and energy, and recommendation of other pollsters. For demographics: Division II (4), Division I (7); northeast (2), southeast (3), middle (3), west (2), at-large (1). My estimation for their years in coaching: less than 10 (2), between 10 and 20 (1), more than 20 (8). Many have been voting since the beginning. They are fantastic and, like so many other people involved in wrestling, they do this voluntarily to help the sport. Some of them consult other coaches in their region before casting their vote. Certainly there are many other coaches that could also do a great job and who would be willing to help.

Despite power outages, technical difficulties, inclement weather conditions, ringworm epidemics, and other complications, we have tabulated the votes as entered by the panel every week of wrestling season since 1991-92. The poll is sent out weekly to the hundreds of member of the Tennessee Sports Writers Association. You may want to request that your local media post the results if they do not already. We would like to include more teams, but it hasn’t been that long ago that we were limited to only a top ten instead of the current 12.

Part III

We have no manifest destiny or monopoly for a wrestling poll. Start your own poll that reflects your interest whether it be small schools, a specific division, an area of the state, or other delineation. Pick your pollsters: moms, dads, girlfriends, coaches, fans, wrestlers, etc. Post it here or in the paper. If it gets positive coverage for wrestling, then go for it!

This thread has resulted in comments on how the TN Coaches’ High School Wrestling Poll should be done and who should do it. There have been complements, insults, and suggestions. We respect the pollsters in other sports and the other pollsters for wrestling but would not think to suggest they change to accommodate our preferences. Though we are far from extinction, we are opened for some suggestions given that our basic principles remain. We will continue to distribute one poll which represents the best wrestling teams in Tennessee. We do the poll our way because that is not only convenient for us, it is the way we want to do it. There is no agenda. No conspiracy. Just a bunch of guys who love the sport and want to help.

If you ever want to know, just ask.

Thanks,

Luther

QUOTE(MLK @ Jan 23 2007 - 03:18 AM) 826341980[/snapback]

Where do I begin?

We do the poll our way because that is not only convenient for us, it is the way we want to do it. There is no agenda. No conspiracy. Just a bunch of guys who love the sport and want to help.

If you ever want to know, just ask.

Thanks,

Luther

I wonder if you would mind commenting, other than "that is the way we want to do it", about why you would not divide the two divisions and create two polls.

since there is no agenda,,,,how about putting an agenda together that reflects the divisions?

thanks.

QUOTE(texas23 @ Jan 23 2007 - 09:07 AM) 826342179[/snapback]

I wonder if you would mind commenting, other than "that is the way we want to do it", about why you would not divide the two divisions and create two polls.

since there is no agenda,,,,how about putting an agenda together that reflects the divisions?

thanks.

texas it is obvious to me that the current poll reflects what the pollsters believe to be the best and top ten teams in the state. However, your statement reflects an agenda on your part by wondering why don't we have polls that reflect divisions. Why do you want divisions? Just wondering.

Luther,

You continue to promote wrestling in the state through your tireless actions and remain, without a doubt, the most diplomatic man in the profession. It was my privilege to witness your induction into the Wrestling Hall of Fame, and to have coached with you for many years with Southern Champions Camps.

This thread contains many who seem to be passionate about the sport. Act on your concerns and turn them into realities....the way Luther did.

Marc Taylor

Franklin Road Academy

QUOTE(rushn @ Jan 23 2007 - 10:08 AM) 826342249[/snapback]

Luther,

You continue to promote wrestling in the state through your tireless actions and remain, without a doubt, the most diplomatic man in the profession. It was my privilege to witness your induction into the Wrestling Hall of Fame, and to have coached with you for many years with Southern Champions Camps.

This thread contains many who seem to be passionate about the sport. Act on your concerns and turn them into realities....the way Luther did.

Marc Taylor

Franklin Road Academy

QUOTE(rushn @ Jan 23 2007 - 10:08 AM) 826342249[/snapback]

Luther,

Marc Taylor

Franklin Road Academy

Coach Taylor,

I could not have said it better.

Luther, your are an asset to this sport and you have done it in a quiet manner, opting to stay out of the limelight. Without the poll, there would be no poll. I agree with your philosphy (sp) and support you 100%. If somebody else wants to do a poll, have at it. This is similiar to the griping about the individual polls. If somebody else wants to do it, than do it.

Thanks again for all you do for this great sport.

For those that want different polls for different divisions and different georgraphics, start your own!

QUOTE(takedown42 @ Jan 23 2007 - 11:46 AM) 826342228[/snapback]

texas it is obvious to me that the current poll reflects what the pollsters believe to be the best and top ten teams in the state. However, your statement reflects an agenda on your part by wondering why don't we have polls that reflect divisions. Why do you want divisions? Just wondering.

I was actually asking MLK to comment, not you. But since your seem to be the mouth piece for this, I will explain.

Based on the post and more specifically the last couple of paragraphs, it seem as a matter of convienence and because we like it that way versus your version of what is "obvious". And even with that being grated to you, why is my question so far out of line to ask for further comment, based on his words of not really having an agenda to in regards to putting the two divisions together.

So, now to your question.

I do not have an agenda, but if by wondering something, as I have stated, that is an agenda, then okay, I have an agenda of asking why not for the guys who run it. fair enough?

Second, to answer the two divisions question, to use your words, it seems very obvious to me. But for those who may be challenged in this premise, here it is:

the divisions are split in regards to both the duals championships and the traditonal tournament. Following that logic, would it not make any kind of sense at all to have a poll that reflects how teams are stack, based on whatever criteria being used, for the purposes of showing the ranking for each championship to be determined at the end of the season.

Most coaches on here and the one I talk to have a saying. The real season starts in Feburary (even though the duals really start this week). Since they are all "graded" by Feb. results, it makes some sense to understand how they might rank based on whatever the criteria is.

I hope I have cleared this up for why I have asked.

BTW, I agree with Bayou Bear and his reasoning behind starting this thread. Not to be critical of those running the polls, but to suggest, understand and not just complain, but also offer a solution. Good job Bayou Bear.