ANTIOCH 91 stratford 8

Dr. Justice

What difference does it make whether or not I saw the game? I am intelligent enough to know that they did not pull the ball out and run the clock based on the score. For instance, if I were up 30, which is plenty in my opinion, I would have my girls pull the ball out and work the defense. The challenge would no longer be whether or not we score, because obviously with a large lead that is not in question, the challenge would become how long can we run our motion, continuity offense without turning the ball over. If you work enough time off the clock then scoring 91 is not an option. There have been very good basketball teams that operated in this way. I have watched teams that were clearly better from the tip hold the ball throughout the game for this very reason. Who cares who saw the game, it doesn't take a genius to realize that beating someone by 70 can be prevented.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ashjan44 @ Jan 22 2007 - 08:29 AM) 826340798[/snapback]

Like previous posts suggests, there are certain things you can do to show sportsmanship. We've had 2 freshman games this year that going in we knew how the game would play out. In the 1st half we didn't press but played man, ran the break, made steals etc. In the second half we played a foot in the lane zone, put in a no fast break rule, BUT we still tried to score in half court offense every trip. My responsibility still lies with my kids first and this is high school ball. Afterward they thanked us for not running it up. There are some out there (mt. Juliet freshman a few years ago) that will press and run even up 60-70. I wasn't at the antioch game but it seems everyone played and the second half scoring was down. Also, there was a time 15 or so years ago that Stratford was the king of Nashville in girls.

Your post jogged my memory about that Mt. Juliet freshman team from 3 years ago (I think) that ran it up on everyone. If I remember correctly, at one point that team was averaging 100 a game.

QUOTE(sports24 @ Jan 22 2007 - 09:14 AM) 826340867[/snapback]

Your post jogged my memory about that Mt. Juliet freshman team from 3 years ago (I think) that ran it up on everyone. If I remember correctly, at one point that team was averaging 100 a game.

2 years ago they had about their best team in the last 10 or more years but they only scored 100 points in one game. I think it was 101 to 62. Coach Anna Sharp isn't going to run the score up on anyone.

QUOTE(Bates Water Gardens @ Jan 22 2007 - 09:48 AM) 826340907[/snapback]

2 years ago they had about their best team in the last 10 or more years but they only scored 100 points in one game. I think it was 101 to 62. Coach Anna Sharp isn't going to run the score up on anyone.

Sorry, but you're incorrect. They ran it up on everyone that year with Burroughs, hall, etc. It was a great team but I know they beat Gallatin, Beech, Hville by 70 or more and pressed and ran until the final buzzer. One game Beech had a couple foul out, only had 4 girls, MJ up 70 late and still pressed. All coaches in 9AAA remember that year.

QUOTE(ashjan44 @ Jan 22 2007 - 10:22 AM) 826340955[/snapback]

Sorry, but you're incorrect. They ran it up on everyone that year with Burroughs, hall, etc. It was a great team but I know they beat Gallatin, Beech, Hville by 70 or more and pressed and ran until the final buzzer. One game Beech had a couple foul out, only had 4 girls, MJ up 70 late and still pressed. All coaches in 9AAA remember that year.

I did not see that game so I can't say. I watched the scores to see how much they were winning by. I do remember they were winning by a lot that year. I saw them play 3 times. They closest game I saw was Wilson Central game where they won by about 24 and they quit pressing early in the fourth.

I saw them win one game and the score was something like 82-31. They didn't press in the second half. Did not have many on the bench so 2 or 3 starters were in the game at all times.

QUOTE(Bates Water Gardens @ Jan 22 2007 - 10:36 AM) 826340973[/snapback]

I did not see that game so I can't say. I watched the scores to see how much they were winning by. I do remember they were winning by a lot that year. I saw them play 3 times. They closest game I saw was Wilson Central game where they won by about 24 and they quit pressing early in the fourth.

I saw them win one game and the score was something like 82-31. They didn't press in the second half. Did not have many on the bench so 2 or 3 starters were in the game at all times.

they played that year with only 6 or 7 kids so subbing wasn't an issue. Maybe some kids,parents, or opposing coaches can verify. Not really important now. Only point was that some coaches are gracious and some will try to embarrass. It usually comes back to you either way.

QUOTE(ashjan44 @ Jan 22 2007 - 11:57 AM) 826341069[/snapback]

they played that year with only 6 or 7 kids so subbing wasn't an issue. Maybe some kids,parents, or opposing coaches can verify. Not really important now. Only point was that some coaches are gracious and some will try to embarrass. It usually comes back to you either way.

Great points.. Antioch Coach, Can you go to sleep at night feeling good about what you taught your team. I think the Stratford coach is probably teaching the kids the most about life, how to handle hardship and face diversity,

QUOTE(sumnercountybball @ Jan 23 2007 - 12:11 AM) 826341962[/snapback]

Great points.. Antioch Coach, Can you go to sleep at night feeling good about what you taught your team. I think the Stratford coach is probably teaching the kids the most about life, how to handle hardship and face diversity,

There was a running clock and six minutes/qtr in the 2nd half. Lay off the coach, Stratford stinks!!!

QUOTE(Bates Water Gardens @ Jan 22 2007 - 09:48 AM) 826340907[/snapback]

I disagree. If she has a chance to run the score up she will. She didn't have much of a bench because she ran the other girls off by telling them they would not play.

QUOTE(nununu @ Jan 23 2007 - 08:01 AM) 826342083[/snapback]

There was a running clock and six minutes/qtr in the 2nd half. Lay off the coach, Stratford stinks!!!

Let's get something straight here, I'm against running up the score. What some of us disagree with is what we call "running up the score". If your 3rd team is in the ball game playing hard, that is NOT running up the score. If the 3rd team played the whole game and still pressing and shooting 3's in the 4th qtr, then maybe so.

Again, no one on here was at the game so we do not know how it got to that point. Like nununu said, Stratford is not very good. I'm sorry, but that is just the way it is. They need to look into their program.

Let's look at something. These girls never seem to be able to play much and haven't scored much all year.

Kristen McClain scored 5 points equalling her season high.

Sydnei Smith scored 9, beating her old high of 4.

Christina Turner scored 8, after having only 2 points all year long!

Chanel White scored 6, beating her old high of 2.

Secret Woodard scored 6 after not scoring any all year long!

Congratulations to these girls who work hard all year and don't get to play much. I'm sure that their parents were very excited also.

Way to much emphasis being put on how many points the bench players scored and how proud you are or their parents are. That's not what playing team sports is about. Success is not measured in how mant points an individual scored but rather they have met the goals that have been placed before them. If the goal would have been to run two minutes off the clock with your motion offense before scoring a lay-up, and they 3rd team was able to accomplish this, that would be a feat to be proud of. This also would have kept the margin of victory down and no one looks like a jerk for beating a team 70+. Who really cares if a 3rd string player scored five points. You might say that the child or theit parents do, but in the whole scheme of things, considering the situation, that would seem very selfish to me and not what being a part of a team is all about. I have wondered if Antioch would have felt like it was no big deal if they would have gotten throttled by 70. If we weren't talking about teenage girls I might wish that they should have the same happen to them at some point, but because NO ONE deserves to feel the way I am sure the Stratford team felt, I wouldn't wish that on anybody. I am considering scheduling Antioch in the future.