Watch Out for Lavergne

flngrvy

Being a Mt. Juliet fan and attending the Mt. Juliet-Lavergne game last night, several observations come to mind.

1) Lavergne is LOADED with young talent. If I'm not mistaken, the three players, the big post, (looks 6'2" or so), number 3, a wing and the long-range shooter are all either Freshman or Sophomores. These kids have huge potential and gave Mt. Juliet all they could handle. Granted, Mt. Juliet has sickness going through the team and they pulled it out buth the improvement from the first game was remarkable.

2) With discipline, these girls will be a force by next year and will shake up the district.

3) Along with discipline, if these girls commit themselves to off-season conditioning, true discipline to getting in shape, again watch out. They were sucking bad air at the end of the second quarter and in the fourth, it appeared their lack of conditioning led to the three straight turnovers that Mt. Juliet capitalized.

4) Coaching. I don't know their coach and he seems like a good guy but if they ran a more structured offense and pressed with their athletes they woould be more successful. By structured, I mean a high-low game, double screens to open their shooters, etc.. It looks like a lot of free-style play going on that in close games will hurt.

I look for them to pull an upset in the district tournament and maybe pull off the third or fourth seed going to the regions.

Mt. Juliet won by 7, I think. It was nip and tuck and the Lady Bears had to abandon the press due to two related things, 1) The Lavergne team is real athletic and 2) Illness, flu-like stuff for the Bears. Becca Sharpe stepped it up along with Miaca Bowman and Miller was battling with the big girl inside. Too close for comfort.

QUOTE(flngrvy @ Jan 27 2007 - 05:20 AM) 826347857[/snapback]

Being a Mt. Juliet fan and attending the Mt. Juliet-Lavergne game last night, several observations come to mind.

1) Lavergne is LOADED with young talent. If I'm not mistaken, the three players, the big post, (looks 6'2" or so), number 3, a wing and the long-range shooter are all either Freshman or Sophomores. These kids have huge potential and gave Mt. Juliet all they could handle. Granted, Mt. Juliet has sickness going through the team and they pulled it out buth the improvement from the first game was remarkable.

2) With discipline, these girls will be a force by next year and will shake up the district.

3) Along with discipline, if these girls commit themselves to off-season conditioning, true discipline to getting in shape, again watch out. They were sucking bad air at the end of the second quarter and in the fourth, it appeared their lack of conditioning led to the three straight turnovers that Mt. Juliet capitalized.

4) Coaching. I don't know their coach and he seems like a good guy but if they ran a more structured offense and pressed with their athletes they woould be more successful. By structured, I mean a high-low game, double screens to open their shooters, etc.. It looks like a lot of free-style play going on that in close games will hurt.

I look for them to pull an upset in the district tournament and maybe pull off the third or fourth seed going to the regions.

The three you referenced in your post are all Freshmen and played together last year at LaVergne Middle School.

I think our girls played awesome last night as they led the majority of the game until the beginning of the 4th quarter. You can blame it on sickness if you like but I think from the first game and the 40 point blowout, MJ might have came in and underestimated Lavergne.

I agree with part of your # 4 statement but disagree with your # 3, as far as getting in shape. The three straight turnovers came from lack of calls from the referees and the girls becoming frustrated and giving up on plays that they felt they should have had the calls on. Now this is where the discipline needs to come in. I think as players they need to recognize if a referee is inconsistent and has not blown the whistle on walks, over the back, & etc. you won't get it when it comes down to the wire. I have to say that I'm very proud of their performance, and would like to had the victory but this program is going to be great in the years to come.

LaVergne does have alot of athletic talent and they are young.

Discpline is their major problem. Lack of it.

They could become a big player in the future. Looks like they will end up 6th in the district which they would be matched up either at Smyrna or Wilson Central in the opening round. Tough way to open and it would be a major upset if they got into the 2nd round of the district. Come next year is when we all better get worried.

QUOTE(flngrvy @ Jan 27 2007 - 05:20 AM) 826347857[/snapback]

I saw this thread and since Siegel played them and narrowly won, I agree with everything this post says except the coaching and am glad Siegel does not play them again this season, i think. This is a POWER team fixing to happen and is an impossible matchup with the one on one game they play. T hey will be hard to handle when they mature and add and develop a few more players on the bench.

QUOTE(PHargis @ Jan 28 2007 - 07:19 PM) 826349606[/snapback]

I saw this thread and since Siegel played them and narrowly won, I agree with everything this post says except the coaching and am glad Siegel does not play them again this season, i think. This is a POWER team fixing to happen and is an impossible matchup with the one on one game they play. T hey will be hard to handle when they mature and add and develop a few more players on the bench.

I hope Mt. Juliet stays in first and gets a bye the first round of the district. They could upset someone the first round. Will be either MJ, WC, or Smyrna.