Van Buren vs East Robertson

Speedy Claxton

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the two years I've been coaching at just the middle school level I've discovered that it is a much more difficult job than it appears. Its easy to be too my way or the high way and alienate your talent. Its easy to be too soft and never get anything done. It's difficult to keep your players focused when with around 15 players when it's almost guaranteed that one of them is having a rough day for reasons outside of basketball. Beyond that you have to mold those unique individuals and get them to appreciate being a team.

As far as X's & O's are concerned there have been times I have been as frustrated as the next person. What bothers me is the way some people on coach t & at the games vent their frustration. Realize that if members of the team voiced their frustration in the same manner that they do the team would be broken (even if what they are saying is correct). Its amazing to see how many of the young ladies on the team act with class even when some adults don't. Either some adults don't understand the importance of team unity or perhaps venting their frustration is more important to them than team unity. A team can withstand some bad decisions easier than it can withstand being divided.

This past season I had us in the either the wrong defense or wrong offense nearly 50% of the games in the first half. My girls knew early on that mistakes any of us made were mistakes the whole team made and and good things any of us did the whole team did it. If someone made an error it was as much my fault as theirs for not getting them ready or in the right position. If someone made a great play it is like my 6th graders did it because they were the ones practicing as hard as they could to push the other girls to where they would be ready to make that play. My girls were fortunate to be surrounded by adults in the crowd who were supportive also. It puts a kid in a tough position when she is being told to do one thing by her coach & another by her parent when they are taught to obey adults.

I enjoy the fact that basketball is competitive. Competition with the risk of win or lose, praise or criticism make the game fun. I am not saying do not criticize. Just do it with a better tone of voice & also realize that some things are better corrected outside of the game. I understand that a game might be the only time you feel able to voice frustration over an offense, but at the same time a new offense cannot be put in in the middle of a game. If you are really concerned about winning the game at hand regardless of whether it is the best offense or not the girls need to be confident in it. Adults yelling how horrible it is at that moment is hurting your team.

To those arguing on coach t about which player is better than who that is silly.

QUOTE(Coach_B @ Feb 24 2007 - 02:54 PM) 826387355[/snapback]In the two years I've been coaching at just the middle school level I've discovered that it is a much more difficult job than it appears. Its easy to be too my way or the high way and alienate your talent. Its easy to be too soft and never get anything done. It's difficult to keep your players focused when with around 15 players when it's almost guaranteed that one of them is having a rough day for reasons outside of basketball. Beyond that you have to mold those unique individuals and get them to appreciate being a team.

As far as X's & O's are concerned there have been times I have been as frustrated as the next person. What bothers me is the way some people on coach t & at the games vent their frustration. Realize that if members of the team voiced their frustration in the same manner that they do the team would be broken (even if what they are saying is correct). Its amazing to see how many of the young ladies on the team act with class even when some adults don't. Either some adults don't understand the importance of team unity or perhaps venting their frustration is more important to them than team unity. A team can withstand some bad decisions easier than it can withstand being divided.

This past season I had us in the either the wrong defense or wrong offense nearly 50% of the games in the first half. My girls knew early on that mistakes any of us made were mistakes the whole team made and and good things any of us did the whole team did it. If someone made an error it was as much my fault as theirs for not getting them ready or in the right position. If someone made a great play it is like my 6th graders did it because they were the ones practicing as hard as they could to push the other girls to where they would be ready to make that play. My girls were fortunate to be surrounded by adults in the crowd who were supportive also. It puts a kid in a tough position when she is being told to do one thing by her coach & another by her parent when they are taught to obey adults.

I enjoy the fact that basketball is competitive. Competition with the risk of win or lose, praise or criticism make the game fun. I am not saying do not criticize. Just do it with a better tone of voice & also realize that some things are better corrected outside of the game. I understand that a game might be the only time you feel able to voice frustration over an offense, but at the same time a new offense cannot be put in in the middle of a game. If you are really concerned about winning the game at hand regardless of whether it is the best offense or not the girls need to be confident in it. Adults yelling how horrible it is at that moment is hurting your team.

To those arguing on coach t about which player is better than who that is silly.

thank you!! way to go eaglettes on the win against east robertson... good luck against forrest.. we know you can do it!!

VB did not deserve this win, they won it by playing dirty. They are not a well coached team at all. The coach did NOTHING when their players started playing so ugly. The girls on the bench even made comments to the crowd and the coach did nothing. I think at one point the assistant coach moved and went down to calm the girls. Other than that they are an outright dirty team. The coach and players alike!!

QUOTE(ERIndians#1Fan @ Feb 26 2007 - 12:02 PM) 826390078[/snapback]VB did not deserve this win, they won it by playing dirty. They are not a well coached team at all. The coach did NOTHING when their players started playing so ugly. The girls on the bench even made comments to the crowd and the coach did nothing. I think at one point the assistant coach moved and went down to calm the girls. Other than that they are an outright dirty team. The coach and players alike!!

The comments the assistant made were directed toward your fans talking to our girls. If our girls were talking to your fans they shouldn't have been, but @ the same time I heard your fans cussing around our girls.