Elizabethton Says No to Babe Ruth Baseball

DekeRivers

From what I understand, there is going to be some work done on the field of play itself during the high school off season to better the field for middle school, freshman and JV play for the school. From what I have seen first hand, this work is absolutely necessary due to the lack of care during the summer baseball season. I would have to take this argument to the upper level management of the Babe Ruth / Dizzy Dean league of last year. Personally, I can't understand dragging a field with a car, but it was done. And there are other problems......if the league has to play on other fields, I would suggest much better care be taken.

I hate to see the league in question have to play somewhere else, just as others, but the field needs extensive work. It is a school field first and the 'league' had use of the field at the pleasure of the school system. Yes, there were improvements, but the field itself gets trashed. This is not a popular position to take, but the field needs repairs. Simple as that.

Why are the repairs being done? For the kids!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(cyclonedad @ Mar 19 2007 - 12:36 PM) 826417626[/snapback]Has anyone talked to the Eliz Board of Education or Mr. Alexander?

I dont see the Board turning away kids until a place can be found for them!

You should have your ducks in a row and go in half cocked.

Alexander is aware and has also said NO to the Jr. Babe playing at Elizabethton High this year.. As for work on the field I have heard that for the past five years and any work that has been done on the field has been done by the Jr. babe Ruth.. Every April the Athletic directer has said work was going to be done and nothing has took place yet... i not speaking of Payne the AD before him... But he also is against JBR playing there also..

QUOTE(GLee @ Mar 20 2007 - 07:28 AM) 826418251[/snapback]From what I understand, there is going to be some work done on the field of play itself during the high school off season to better the field for middle school, freshman and JV play for the school. From what I have seen first hand, this work is absolutely necessary due to the lack of care during the summer baseball season. I would have to take this argument to the upper level management of the Babe Ruth / Dizzy Dean league of last year. Personally, I can't understand dragging a field with a car, but it was done. And there are other problems......if the league has to play on other fields, I would suggest much better care be taken.

I hate to see the league in question have to play somewhere else, just as others, but the field needs extensive work. It is a school field first and the 'league' had use of the field at the pleasure of the school system. Yes, there were improvements, but the field itself gets trashed. This is not a popular position to take, but the field needs repairs. Simple as that.

Why are the repairs being done? For the kids!

I Will be the first to agree the field needs work and has for many years, but it has been mention many times almost every April that work will be done on the field, If this is the year so be it, but in the past all the promises have become untrue. Last year I met with the Ad, A rep from the adminastration and a rep from the Park and Rec. They spoke of all the work that was going to be done to the field. As we left the field I told Mr Alderson, nothing would be done, he didn;t believ me and on Friday before opening day in middle of May someone showed up to cut out baselines and that was all... Two hours work was all that has been done in the last five or so years.

Deke,

I agree on the promises of the past and I know of no promises for the future. What I wrote is purely 'heresay' but I will check into this further.

I do know for a fact that the infield and shallow outfield were aeriated and overseeded last season before the high school season began. The HS stayed off of the field. Signs were put on the field to this affect as well. The signs were found in the dug-outs and the work was a wasted effort due to the lack of respect to the field. So yes, there has been a previous attempt by the current AD to better the conditions.

I'll check and give you a call.

Glee you know me and you both have well put our time in. My kids no longer play in the Babe Ruth, but have fond memories of their past experience of summer ball. Ours played in some of the biggest games of their lives that only others dream for.

But for the city not to find these boys a place to play would be a disaster for some who never get a chance to play anywhere else. One dad will take 12 players and build a traveling team but the other 80 or so kids would just have to hang out at the pool.

You never know who will turn out to be a great player after a couple good experiences. Some of these coaches are the only fathers some kids have to look up to.. We both have spent a small fortune at McDonalds buying Big Macs for players

QUOTE(DekeRivers @ Mar 20 2007 - 12:21 PM) 826418421[/snapback]Glee you know me and you both have well put our time in. My kids no longer play in the Babe Ruth, but have fond memories of their past experience of summer ball. Ours played in some of the biggest games of their lives that only others dream for.

But for the city not to find these boys a place to play would be a disaster for some who never get a chance to play anywhere else. One dad will take 12 players and build a traveling team but the other 80 or so kids would just have to hang out at the pool.

You never know who will turn out to be a great player after a couple good experiences. Some of these coaches are the only fathers some kids have to look up to.. We both have spent a small fortune at McDonalds buying Big Macs for players

You see, I totally agree with what you are saying except for one BIG part. Why put all of the burden of providing playing areas on the City of Elizabethton and the City School System? Yes, there needs to be an outlet for all, but to start this 'stink' when you don't know the facts is an outrage. Try getting some Carter County input, then get some knowledge of the city's plan, then post.