Houston?

albion

Mjuhb is completly correct....Regional championships don't mean jack.

The prize is the state championship game. Experienced coaches know this and don't put emphasis on winning a meaningless regional championship game.

Save your horses for the games that mean something.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(stamfordbridgesoccer @ May 20 2007 - 08:15 AM) 826463298[/snapback]Soddy Daisy is also from District 6 (same as Ooltewah) and has made a couple of runs to the state title game. Their last trip they lost to Houston in 2000.

Red Bank, also from that district, made a run to the state semis before losing to Science Hill 2-0.

I completely forgot about that Soddy Daisy team because Houston was so good that year. If I remember correctly they were National Champs. So, it looks like I was only partially right about that section. The district Soddy Daisy is in has made it to the finals a few times. It's the other district in that region that has yet to make it to the finals. It just seems like its always the same two or three districts/regions that make it. We'll see what happens this year. I'd like to see some different teams up there.

QUOTE(cincyred @ May 20 2007 - 08:53 AM) 826463307[/snapback]Mjuhb is completly correct....Regional championships don't mean jack.

The prize is the state championship game. Experienced coaches know this and don't put emphasis on winning a meaningless regional championship game.

Save your horses for the games that mean something.

THAT IS EXACTLY THE PROBLEM IN HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS. In the big picture winning a state championship is meaningless. I won the PA state championshipship in AAAAA football. Does is mean anything today...? Will it get me a cup of coffee at McD's or anywhere else. This is the first time I have even mentioned it in more than 20 years...and then only to make a point. All of my kids have all kinds of championships in many sports. All that does is collect dust. I couldn't even tell you who won the TN State Championship in any sport last year. Only a handful in TN could tell you.....000000001%.

Nah! If that is what really matters where the emphasis is to you or to "experienced coaches" then that goes a long way in explaining why this nation and this next generation is losing it's way. What matters most is building character by teaching and practicing morals, ethics, teamwork, sacrifice, sportsmanship. That is unless you are a professional who gets paid to win. That is what is missing. Coaches need to be an example of good character by living righteously.

Nope, this assessment is way off!

QUOTE(manfromtn @ May 20 2007 - 10:45 AM) 826463405[/snapback]THAT IS EXACTLY THE PROBLEM IN HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS. In the big picture winning a state championship is meaningless. I won the PA state championshipship in AAAAA football. Does is mean anything today...? Will it get me a cup of coffee at McD's or anywhere else. This is the first time I have even mentioned it in more than 20 years...and then only to make a point. All of my kids have all kinds of championships in many sports. All that does is collect dust. I couldn't even tell you who won the TN State Championship in any sport last year. Only a handful in TN could tell you.....000000001%.

Nah! If that is what really matters where the emphasis is to you or to "experienced coaches" then that goes a long way in explaining why this nation and this next generation is losing it's way. What matters most is building character by teaching and practicing morals, ethics, teamwork, sacrifice, sportsmanship. That is unless you are a professional who gets paid to win. That is what is missing. Coaches need to be an example of good character by living righteously.

Nope, this assessment is way off!

Itotally disagree that few could tell you who the state Champions were and it does mean alot to us playyers.

As far as the coaches, if you mean what you say, then you should meet our coach from Farragut, Wallie Culbreth. We gave him a trophy last night that said Thanks for teaching us more than Soccer. He is a good man that uses life lessons everyday in our practices. He holds us to high moral standards and doesn't bend 1 inch on his rules. He is a coach I would follow anywhere and be proud to do it. Funny thing is not only does the whole team feel that way, so does my Dad.

QUOTE(Lion101 @ May 21 2007 - 10:39 AM) 826463983[/snapback]Itotally disagree that few could tell you who the state Champions were and it does mean alot to us playyers.

As far as the coaches, if you mean what you say, then you should meet our coach from Farragut, Wallie Culbreth. We gave him a trophy last night that said Thanks for teaching us more than Soccer. He is a good man that uses life lessons everyday in our practices. He holds us to high moral standards and doesn't bend 1 inch on his rules. He is a coach I would follow anywhere and be proud to do it. Funny thing is not only does the whole team feel that way, so does my Dad.

Okay. I appreciate you pov. It is important and means something to those who win...but on down the road it is pretty meaningless. That is unless you will have a future centered around your local high school and current teammates. I have no contact at all with those who I won the State Championship with due to the fact that the only thing we have in common is that we won a state championship years ago. None of us live in that town anymore and the majority of us are probably more than a few hours away. Think about all those who participate in H.S. sports that will never make it to the State Championship or even the state. You can easily see that is the vast majority. I have 6 children, my last just graduated from H.S. I would bet you dollars to donuts that none of them knows who won the state championship in their sports in their senior year. I just asked my youngest and my middle and neither had an answer. The Champions know and perhaps those that made it to the state, but beyond that no one know and no one cares. Your H.S. experience is a stepping stone to your future. You will see that you will have no desire to live in the past unless your future pales. Bruce Springstein sing a song that hits that point, "Glory Days". You may not believe this or want to believe this, but talk to me in a few years or more. This is not my theory, this is my experience. What I do remember is our State Championship, my basketball team making it to the final and two good friends who went to the State in wrestling. I cannot recall whether they won or lost. But, many years later "so what". What is important is the effort you made and the good things you learned that will help you along in this adventure called 'life'.

You should treasure that coach. He IS the exception. Be grateful for what you do have.