Music City Classic

rrrrrrr

Pearl Cohn won the first game 28-12 over Memphis East. The Firebirds were led by quarterback Deaunte Mason who threw for 180 yards and 3TDs through the air and rushed for an additional 71 yards and added another TD on the ground. If that wasn't enough the young man also added all four PATs for the PC special teams. Deaveon Gregory rushed for 119 yards on 19 carries on the night to pace the Firebirds ground game. Offensively Pearl Cohn rushed for nearly 250 yards and held Memphis East to virtually nothing on the ground.

Maplewood beat Trezevant 46-6 in the nightcap contest. The Panthers stormed out to a commanding 35-0 lead at halftime and aside from one long kickoff return allowed to the Bears there was no question that Maplewood had this one in command the entire way. Markus Cantrell paced a strong Panthers rushing attack by rushing for 190 yards on 19 carries and adding 2TDs. Chris Simpson threw for 144 yards and 2TDs through the air and he also added another TD rushing. On the night total Maplewood rushed for 251 yards.

The game next week when Maplewood travels to Pearl Cohn should be a very good matchup because these are two teams that are going to be playing deep into the month of November without question.

I thought Memphis East was the better of the two Memphis Schools that I saw last night because Trezevant just did not have the size of speed to even stand a chance against Maplewood. East was really no match for Pearl Cohn either though for anyone who is judging that contest by the score. I DO NOT BELIEVE EITHER OF THESE METRO/NASHVILLE SCHOOLS WERE IN ANY DANGER OF LOSING EITHER OF THESE GAMES THROUGHOUT THE COURSE OF THE EVENING YESTERDAY!!!!!

ALSO, it has to be said that both Pearl Cohn & Maplewood have excellent bands. IMAGINE THAT

Pearl Cohn won the first game 28-12 over Memphis East. The Firebirds were led by quarterback Deaunte Mason who threw for 180 yards and 3TDs through the air and rushed for an additional 71 yards and added another TD on the ground. If that wasn't enough the young man also added all four PATs for the PC special teams. Deaveon Gregory rushed for 119 yards on 19 carries on the night to pace the Firebirds ground game. Offensively Pearl Cohn rushed for nearly 250 yards and held Memphis East to virtually nothing on the ground.

Maplewood beat Trezevant 46-6 in the nightcap contest. The Panthers stormed out to a commanding 35-0 lead at halftime and aside from one long kickoff return allowed to the Bears there was no question that Maplewood had this one in command the entire way. Markus Cantrell paced a strong Panthers rushing attack by rushing for 190 yards on 19 carries and adding 2TDs. Chris Simpson threw for 144 yards and 2TDs through the air and he also added another TD rushing. On the night total Maplewood rushed for 251 yards.

The game next week when Maplewood travels to Pearl Cohn should be a very good matchup because these are two teams that are going to be playing deep into the month of November without question.

I thought Memphis East was the better of the two Memphis Schools that I saw last night because Trezevant just did not have the size of speed to even stand a chance against Maplewood. East was really no match for Pearl Cohn either though for anyone who is judging that contest by the score. I DO NOT BELIEVE EITHER OF THESE METRO/NASHVILLE SCHOOLS WERE IN ANY DANGER OF LOSING EITHER OF THESE GAMES THROUGHOUT THE COURSE OF THE EVENING YESTERDAY!!!!!

ALSO, it has to be said that both Pearl Cohn & Maplewood have excellent bands. IMAGINE THAT

Yes both teams looked great Chuck!!! i got there around start of the 4th quarter of the first game and PC had already taken care of business. Maplewood owned Trezevant, Trezevant had the size but not the speed ..i was very impressed with maplewoods defense a very solid crew ..i knew the offense was going to click ..next week game should be a real battle vs PC ..Cantrell bashed the firebirds a few seasons ago as a freshman im sure they remember that ..now he is back and ready to do it again!!

Yes both teams looked great Chuck!!! i got there around start of the 4th quarter of the first game and PC had already taken care of business. Maplewood owned Trezevant, Trezevant had the size but not the speed ..i was very impressed with maplewoods defense a very solid crew ..i knew the offense was going to click ..next week game should be a real battle vs PC ..Cantrell bashed the firebirds a few seasons ago as a freshman im sure they remember that ..now he is back and ready to do it again!!

Start a thread on the game this Friday night boski. I am interested to see how this one goes. I would to see how everyone else predicts it.

I would not be shocked how it goes as far as the winner is concerned. In fact I see a game much similar to the one from 2005 boski where Maplewood beat Pearl Cohn 14-12. Two big mistakes cost the Firebirds dearly that night as Mason threw an INT that got returned for six and then Council fumbled the football on a play that literally would have gone for six had he simply just held on to the football. Credit the Maplewood defense both times. They made a play the first time and the second time they made the most of "a second chance" and stopped the Firebirds down near the goal line.

Both Coach Thompson & Coach Brunetti will have their defenses keying the quarterback in this one. Mason & Simpson are really what makes these two teams go respectively. The team that makes the least mistakes (penalties, turnovers, etc.) and is able to run the football will walk away victorious. The RB position will be huge for both teams as this means a lot of Cantrell for Maplewood and a lot of Gregory for PC.

I DO NOT IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM EXPECT THIS ONE TO GO LIKE LAST YEAR'S GAME WENT WHERE ONE TEAM SIMPLY DESTROYED THE OTHER!!!! Maplewood of course beat Pearl Cohn in that contest 43-7.

.......and is Cantrell as sophomore or a junior because the Tennessean called him a sophomore on Sunday in the writeup from Maplewood's win on Saturday night?????

Cantrell is a Jr. this year. its going to be a good game, but a close score like 14 - 12 is not likely, to many weapons on both teams for that , i still say maplewood

has the edge on offense and defense. they really fly to the ball ..they need more work on special teams though. and from looking at the games sat, i dont see why maplewood cant put big numbers up on PC.

With all of the athletic ability of both teams I say defense will reign supreme and points will be tough to come by in this one.

Running the football and taking care of it (aka no turnovers) will be the key to victory. There may be a big play or two from the passing game but in the end the previous statement will rule the night and the team that does those two things best will without question walk away victorious.