Morristown West @ Volunteer

flyinfalcon

The defining moment for the "new" Volunteer football program has arrived.

Much has been said and hoped for with the Falcons over the past few years. With the arrival of Rider, the maturity and development of a the best senior class in the last 10 years, and an explosion of fan interest and support - the time is now.

Not only do I think Volunteer will beat Mo-West, they really must.

The program is at a cross roads and upcoming talent is solid but not great. This is their year. When Volunteer wins, they will help to create a parity in R-II 4A that has not existed in a long time. But do the Falcons have what it takes to exorcise the demons? The road to respectability in R-II 4A goes through Mo-West just like the road in R-I 4A historically goes through THS. A Falcon loss will simply brand this group as another group from Church Hill Middle School who could compete with Vance, Sevier, or Colonial Heights on Tuesdays but could not develop and close the deal on Fridays.

A win will propel the program. A loss will result in the "same ole Volunteer".

Go Falcons!

Very well stated,but I disagree that the demons to be exorcised belong to this team. Volunteer has never been known

as disciplined and productive team in the 20+ years the school has been in existance. For years it seemed noone really cared, and that has changed with Coach Rider coming on board he has worked to change the program and

now has parent, fan and student support at the games, I dare say no one can really remember when the stands

were full at a Falcon football game,at home or away or as much team spirit that is now shown. OH YES, this team

has the talent to win and they want it BAD. So we can all put away the comparisons and the what ifs and wait

for Friday Night. No doubt this will be a tough game and a change to how Volunteer is perceived. Thanks Coach

Rider and staff. PLAY HARD TEAM AND DON'T LET UP. GO FALCONS /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> two thumbs up!!!!!!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A comparison:

West Points For 152 (19/game) Points Against 140 (17.5/game), Conference Points For 126 (25.2/game) Points Against 56 (11.2/game), West is 3-1 against common opponents, Points For 98 (24.5/game) Points Against 49 (12.3.game), Opponents Record 37-28

Volunteer Points For 183 (22.9/game) Points Against 136 (17/game), Conference Points For 99 (19.8/game) Points Against 59 (11.8/game), Volunteer is 3-1 against common opponents, Points For 80 (20.0/game) Points Against 39 (9.8/game), Opponents Record 35-28

If comparisons win or lose football games this would be a toss-up. Looks pretty evenly matched to me. But

comparisons don't win games, soooooooooooooooooooo.......GO FALCONS! ROLL ON /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

If comparisons win or lose football games this would be a toss-up. Looks pretty evenly matched to me. But

comparisons don't win games, soooooooooooooooooooo.......GO FALCONS! ROLL ON /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

That is exactly what I was trying to show. Volunteer is an extremely capable team and does have the ability to beat West. In fact, after the jamboree, I said that Greeneville and Volunteer would be the toughest games for West this year (even after the early stumble at Cocke). I have no doubt about Volunteers ability. However, I have no doubt about West's ability either. I just do not know which West team will show up. Luckily Friday is getting closer and we will know the outcome soon.

As an outsider who goes way back, the discipline and sportsmanship that Coach Rider has brought to Volunteer is amazing. I can remember scrimmages where Volunteer players would rather fight a chainsaw than play FB. And how many TDs were called back in the 80 's or 90's due to a get even blocks? Today Volunteer is a TOUGH and ATHLETIC Football squad and their demenor is excellent. Good Luck Volunteer.

thats good to here but i saw him on crutches earlier in the week?!?!?!?!

jump on it falcons

vhs20

mw13

well he will be fine he got a little banged up lastweek but hes fine

haha faye /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Agree.....Huge game for the Falcons and the program. With this many seniors we have to make a good run the rest of the way.

Definitely. A Falcon win tomorrow night will mean a 2nd seed position for the playoffs with one game to go at Cherokee. I'm not sure that would change even with a loss next week over in Rogersville. A Trojan win simply cements their grip on the 2nd spot with Cocke County remaining at Burke-Toney.

Any doubt as to a packed house tomorrow night!?

Roll, Trojans!

The defining moment for the "new" Volunteer football program has arrived.

Much has been said and hoped for with the Falcons over the past few years. With the arrival of Rider, the maturity and development of a the best senior class in the last 10 years, and an explosion of fan interest and support - the time is now.

Not only do I think Volunteer will beat Mo-West, they really must.

The program is at a cross roads and upcoming talent is solid but not great. This is their year. When Volunteer wins, they will help to create a parity in R-II 4A that has not existed in a long time. But do the Falcons have what it takes to exorcise the demons? The road to respectability in R-II 4A goes through Mo-West just like the road in R-I 4A historically goes through THS. A Falcon loss will simply brand this group as another group from Church Hill Middle School who could compete with Vance, Sevier, or Colonial Heights on Tuesdays but could not develop and close the deal on Fridays.

A win will propel the program. A loss will result in the "same ole Volunteer".

Go Falcons!

be honest. Any of the past coaching staffs at Volunteer would've done just as good a job of coaching talented athletes as the current coaching staff. When you have plenty of talent, the coaches look good. When you don't have talent, the coaches often get criticized.

A reason why the student and community is so pumped about this year has part to do with the fact that VHS has some talent on the football team. VHS has had plenty of talent in the past, but usually not as many athletes on the same team in the same year.

Mo West is unbeatable vs. Volunteer during any year. Mo. West is the powerhouse vs. VHS. VHS has no chance. Sorry, but the truth hurts sometimes guys. Just take it as it is.

M. West - 28

falcuns 14

be honest. Any of the past coaching staffs at Volunteer would've done just as good a job of coaching talented athletes as the current coaching staff. When you have plenty of talent, the coaches look good. When you don't have talent, the coaches often get criticized.

A reason why the student and community is so pumped about this year has part to do with the fact that VHS has some talent on the football team. VHS has had plenty of talent in the past, but usually not as many athletes on the same team in the same year.

Mo West is unbeatable vs. Volunteer during any year. Mo. West is the powerhouse vs. VHS. VHS has no chance. Sorry, but the truth hurts sometimes guys. Just take it as it is.

M. West - 28

falcuns 14

Hey rover, remember Rome fell, Napoleon fell, the Yankees lost,Michigan lost,Greenville won....................No

team is unbeatable. GO FALCONS,KICK IT UP /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Hey rover, remember Rome fell, Napoleon fell, the Yankees lost,Michigan lost,Greenville won....................No

team is unbeatable. GO FALCONS,KICK IT UP /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Did a quick probability study on the top six teams in the 5 Rivers for the remainder of the season as to playoff positioning; TSSAA rules on tie-breakers were followed (percentages are rounded):

Cherokee - no chance of getting a #1 seed; a 1% chance of getting the 2nd seed; a 25% chance of getting one of the bottom 2 seed; and almost a 74% chance of not making the playoffs

Boone - no chance of getting the #1 seed; less than 1% chance of a #2 seed; a 29% chance of getting one of the bottom 2 seeds; and a 70% chance of not making the playoffs

East - less than a 2% chance of getting the #1 seed; about a 16% chance of getting the #2 seed; a 51% chance of getting one of the bottom two seeds; and about a 32% chance of not making the playoffs

Greeneville - a 64% chance of getting the #1 seed; a 19% chance of getting the #2 seed; a 17% chance of getting one of the bottom 2 seeds; and a less than 1% chance of not making the playoffs

Volunteer - a 3% chance of getting the #1 seed; a 25% chance of getting the #2 seed; a 42 % chance of getting one of the bottom 2 seeds; and a 30% chance of not making the playoffs

West - a 28% chance of getting the #1 seed; a 39% chance of getting the #2 seed; a 32% chance of getting one of the bottom 2 seeds; and less than 2% chance of not making the playoffs