Marion County High

MCHSCoachT

MCHS Lady Warriors are looking for a few JV games for the spring of 08. We will play on Saturdays at home or away and are willing to split the cost of umpires if we play away.

Email me at coacht@ladywarriorssoftball.com if interested.

Thanks

After talking to TSSAA State Office, I was informed that ALL Junior Varsity (JV) games count towards the allotment of games for Varsity. I don't like this rule, you don't see Football or Basketball JV games count towards the number of games they play. The rule is if they are played outside of a varsity doubleheader i.e. a single game or like in a tournament play, they count the same as a Varsity game. This limits playing a separate JV schedule if you are able to do it.

Just wondering how this effects other programs or plans for this year.

After talking to TSSAA State Office, I was informed that ALL Junior Varsity (JV) games count towards the allotment of games for Varsity. I don't like this rule, you don't see Football or Basketball JV games count towards the number of games they play. The rule is if they are played outside of a varsity doubleheader i.e. a single game or like in a tournament play, they count the same as a Varsity game. This limits playing a separate JV schedule if you are able to do it.

Just wondering how this effects other programs or plans for this year.

I talked to Bernard Childress from the TSSAA today.

He told me that ANY JV game played DOES NOT count toward your 34 game total.

He went on to define a JV player...

Let's say your starting 2nd baseman is also a pitcher. If that girl pitches in your JV game, then you are within the rules.

So as long as you don't start a girl at the same position in a Varsity and a JV game, you should be within the TSSAA rules.

Glad to know we can give the younger girls an opportunity to play.

If you think I've misunderstood, please let me know.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

MCHSCoachT,

The new ruling from TSSAA as has been discussed, applies to the Pre-Season Games from what I can tell. If a particular team played 2 pre-season tourneys, from what I've been told at the state office is that team could not play any other Varsity, Junior Varsity Games (Individual or Tourney), like we have been able to do in the past. If you get any other ruling, please advise. Hopefully, like you said, they haven't messed with the Regular Season games, yet!