Sequoyah Football

warchief

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big C, welcome aboard. Just so you know my thoughts, at one time I did think it was you, but I talked with a couple of men who knew you a lot better than I and they convinced me to look elsewhere. The only reason I would like to know is I like dealing with people who are straight up, who will look you in the eye and tell you what is on their mind, regardless if it makes you feel good or not. The only dealings I have ever had with you were that way. Again, welcome aboard. Your thoughts will only add to the fun. Now, as far as Vonore goes, they were very young this past year, and I don't know how many will give up their skateboards to play, so it is hard to guess number wise. GO CHIEFS!

Dum Dum not ponied up yet? Glad to see you post Big C and welcome.

Missed alot this week I see. Glad to see that bigclittleh cleared some things up for us, but like BlueQB12 you wasnt my choice for Slober Knocker, I think I got him pegged but not saying. Madisonville will be sending a few tallented ball players, first a big home schooled kid named Arp this kid can get nasty with the best of them down in the trenches, he will be starting by his sophmore year, next we got slick Nick Brummett, this kids got moves like Barry Sanders and explosive speed, wouldn't suprise me to see this kid returning kick offs or punt returns next season, next is the QB that I hope we dont let get away, gotta good head on his shoulders and not afraid to take a chance and he will bring the wood to you and not stand back and wait on it, rumor has it we may lose him to Loudon or Willam Blount so we need to get down there and get him involved. Overall a small class coming from Madisonville, but the following class is going to be loaded.

Talked to Midway Head Coach last night and he told me that they are trying to eliminate Middle School football there and just play their kids in the Sequoyah Conference, he was furious about this and he made some good points, "Losing breeds Losing, Winning breeds Winnng" Craig thinks that Midway being a Single A school would have a hard time competeing with some towns in this conference simply because of depth, bigger towns have more depth. In the league that their middle school team is in they play other "single A" schools, in the Sequoyah Conference they would be playing "AA" schools, "AAA" schools and "4A" schools. Its kinda the same problem we have here in Madisonvilleand Vonore, I think of Madisonville LL as being a Weak "AA" team or strong "A" team, we just do not have the depth that other towns have (we could have if the kids would just come out), I guess what I'm curious about, what would Coach Summey like to see, both Madisonville and Vonore stay in the Sequoyah Conference and play teams which will 75% of the time have alot more depth which in turn would mean more loses (Losing breeds Losing) or play in a league in which competitveness will be more equal. I know that playing better teams will make you a better ball player and they competition in Sequyah Conference is good competition, but if we (Madisonville and Vonore) struggle to win, what are we teaching the kids. I think last year out of 80 games Madisonville and Vonore won 19 games in all. If we were winning 50% of those games this wouldnt be a issue, but we are not. Do we want to continue to play teams and try harder, if so then the ball players need to come back out and make themselves better and that doesnt seem to be happening. Yeah the money in this conference is good (and that seems to be a big issue for alot of folks here in Madisonville and they dont even have anything to do with football) but should money dictate were football is played. Would Coach Summey like to have both communities come together and play as one, would he rather have a middle school team? I dont know the answers to alot of the questions because each answer seems to hurt one way or another. Here in Madisonville we are going to try to recruit like never seen before (no matter which league we are in), going to have "early" sign up discounts, incentives for not missing practice, we have sent coaches to classes and hope to go to more. We want these kids to know what they are doing when they get to the next level, but like I said before we want kids to believe "WINNING BREEDS WINNING" before they get to high school. Guys I feel like I have rambled alot on here and apologize for that and there is no intentions of trying to upset anyone. i would be interested in hereing other opinions. Thanks

OK is the format on everyones computer changed? or did I hit something to make it change?

A big problem seems to be participation(or lack of) for both leagues. I wish there was a magic potion to get the kids to come out and play, because I believe there is more than enough talent in both schools to be more than competitive in league play. That said, I don't understand why more kids don't play. My dad never pushed me to play, I wanted to. Of course, Atari was the only video game, and it was boring to me. So far, my son has wanted to play, although sometimes he don't really care for practice. I am concerned about the possibility of burn-out, since he started so young, but that is another matter for another time. Personally, as I have stated before, I believe to be fair to the kids when they get to high school, they need to play middle school football, whether it is together or separate(which separately is obviously not working). Anyway, that's just my opinion. GO CHIEFS!

A big problem seems to be participation(or lack of) for both leagues. I wish there was a magic potion to get the kids to come out and play, because I believe there is more than enough talent in both schools to be more than competitive in league play. That said, I don't understand why more kids don't play. My dad never pushed me to play, I wanted to. Of course, Atari was the only video game, and it was boring to me. So far, my son has wanted to play, although sometimes he don't really care for practice. I am concerned about the possibility of burn-out, since he started so young, but that is another matter for another time. Personally, as I have stated before, I believe to be fair to the kids when they get to high school, they need to play middle school football, whether it is together or separate(which separately is obviously not working). Anyway, that's just my opinion. GO CHIEFS!

So what ways do we approach parents to maybe, encourage them to play football, what would be some good incentives to come out and play. To me, the kids in Loudon, Lenoir City etc...kinda know they have a great chance to win everytime they take the field and thats why they come out, if we can ever get back on the winning path I trully believe things will get better. I also beleive that the tallent is here, I bet 85% of the kids I see playing basketball and baseball, I have NEVER seen on the football field, it just blows me away. GO CHIEFS!!

I really think joining the other league is going backwards. I know the competition is great in the Sequoyah conference but these are the programs we compete with. Loudon, Sweetwater, Polk, with Riceville are usually the front runners for the conference. I know Madisonville had success in this conference several years ago. I think we just need to continue trying to get all these kids out. If you have good coaches and can get the high school coaches involved with the youth coaches and kids, I think that could help! I do think that a combined Middle School would benefit the High School the most! It would need to have a qualified certified Head Coach. At Maryville, we had a Junior High School team and the Head Coach was also an assistant coach for the high School. This way the middle school would directly work within the same system. Go Chiefs beat Sweetwater!

So what ways do we approach parents to maybe, encourage them to play football, what would be some good incentives to come out and play. To me, the kids in Loudon, Lenoir City etc...kinda know they have a great chance to win everytime they take the field and thats why they come out, if we can ever get back on the winning path I trully believe things will get better. I also beleive that the tallent is here, I bet 85% of the kids I see playing basketball and baseball, I have NEVER seen on the football field, it just blows me away. GO CHIEFS!!

The best thing that will cause excitement is for the high school program to become successful. Lenoir city is not a good example. They have really been up & down over the years in LL. Loudon is a great example. Thier High School program is always good. So that stirs up alot of excitement, the kids want to play for the High school one day. Tradition goes along way in getting kids out to play. Another good example is Polk co. Thier LL use to be bad. I remember when we use to play them it was always a win. Now when they started winning in thier High school year after year it started to bleed down into thier LL. They had more kids out & more folks got involved. Their LL definatly improved. Your right about the fact that there is alot of good looking athletic kids playing other sports & not playing football. Go watch the jr. pro games. Speed everywhere, but most of them do not play football. Here's the thing, football is hard. It's alot tougher than the other sports are to play. The kids & parents know this. So somehow they have to get excited about it to want to play. That starts at the high school.

I really think joining the other league is going backwards. I know the competition is great in the Sequoyah conference but these are the programs we compete with. Loudon, Sweetwater, Polk, with Riceville are usually the front runners for the conference. I know Madisonville had success in this conference several years ago. I think we just need to continue trying to get all these kids out. If you have good coaches and can get the high school coaches involved with the youth coaches and kids, I think that could help! I do think that a combined Middle School would benefit the High School the most! It would need to have a qualified certified Head Coach. At Maryville, we had a Junior High School team and the Head Coach was also an assistant coach for the high School. This way the middle school would directly work within the same system. Go Chiefs beat Sweetwater!

I like the Sequoyah Conference and your right it would be a step backwards but if we cannot get the kids out, then what? We are giving the coaches lots of training and the next step is to bring in the high school coaches and hopefully introduce some ideas, formations, calls etc...I'll get with someone and see if we can go from there. Do you guys think its possible to have a middle school program without hurting the youth leagues? I'm all for it, if it doesnt hurt the little leagues.

The best thing that will cause excitement is for the high school program to become successful. Lenoir city is not a good example. They have really been up & down over the years in LL. Loudon is a great example. Thier High School program is always good. So that stirs up alot of excitement, the kids want to play for the High school one day. Tradition goes along way in getting kids out to play. Another good example is Polk co. Thier LL use to be bad. I remember when we use to play them it was always a win. Now when they started winning in thier High school year after year it started to bleed down into thier LL. They had more kids out & more folks got involved. Their LL definatly improved. Your right about the fact that there is alot of good looking athletic kids playing other sports & not playing football. Go watch the jr. pro games. Speed everywhere, but most of them do not play football. Here's the thing, football is hard. It's alot tougher than the other sports are to play. The kids & parents know this. So somehow they have to get excited about it to want to play. That starts at the high school.

Let me ask you this, do you think that using the influence of high school coaches to come out and talk to groups at each school would encourage them to come out and play?

Hey Nation, would you look into getting something set up for all the LL coaches to come in and discuss what we can teach to the kids? I would like to implement some formations, calls, terms etc...that the high school uses into our LL system. I know we cannot use everything they do but we can get them use to other things.