District 2 AA

GC Grizzlies

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who are going to be the teams to beat this year in the district? Who are the returning players to look out for and the newcomers?

I haven't heard from anyone. So I will post what I have been able to find out so far. It looks like Pigeon Forge, Rutledge, and Union County will battle again this year. Claiborne, Gatlinburg-Pittman, and Cumberland Gap still seem to be in the bottom half of the District.

Cierra Mudd at Rutledge is already 3-0 with a win @ (AAA) Cherokee. She had a no-hitter going into the 7th inning. Freshman Savannah Grubb (1-0) has pitched well and is leading the Lady Pioneers in hitting right now. Senior 1b/Pitcher Kendall Brabson has just started playing after dealing with an injury. She will add another good bat and arm to the mix, but she will probably not pitch until April. They have good speed and slapping ability coming out of (Jr.) Melissa Fifield and (Fr.) Megan Greer. (Jr.)Tia Black has hit the ball well in the opening week, and had the game winning double @ Cherokee on Thursday. I look for (Fr.) Jessie Fennell to be a difference maker with her stick and the ability to play SS and C. She really has a big arm. The Lady Pioneers lost two Seniors, but the improvement of the team coming back and the addition of several capable Freshmen has them looking to compete in District and Region.

I haven't heard from anyone. So I will post what I have been able to find out so far. It looks like Pigeon Forge, Rutledge, and Union County will battle again this year. Claiborne, Gatlinburg-Pittman, and Cumberland Gap still seem to be in the bottom half of the District.

Cierra Mudd at Rutledge is already 3-0 with a win @ (AAA) Cherokee. She had a no-hitter going into the 7th inning. Freshman Savannah Grubb (1-0) has pitched well and is leading the Lady Pioneers in hitting right now. Senior 1b/Pitcher Kendall Brabson has just started playing after dealing with an injury. She will add another good bat and arm to the mix, but she will probably not pitch until April. They have good speed and slapping ability coming out of (Jr.) Melissa Fifield and (Fr.) Megan Greer. (Jr.)Tia Black has hit the ball well in the opening week, and had the game winning double @ Cherokee on Thursday. I look for (Fr.) Jessie Fennell to be a difference maker with her stick and the ability to play SS and C. She really has a big arm. The Lady Pioneers lost two Seniors, but the improvement of the team coming back and the addition of several capable Freshmen has them looking to compete in District and Region.

PIGEON FORGE IS GOING TO DO AWESOME AND ANYONE THAT GETS A CHANCE TO TAKE PICTURES OF THE PIGEON FORGE GIRLS AT THEIR SOFTBALLS GAMES SHOULD DO SO AND UPLOAD THEM TO THE WEBISTE, THEY HONESTLY DONT GET NEAR AS MUCH CREDIT AS THEY SHOULD AND THEY HAVE A GREAT TEAM THIS YEAR, I WILL BE UPLOADING PICS OF OTHER TEAMS AS WELL WHEN I GET THE CHANCE! GO TIGERS!

PIGEON FORGE IS GOING TO DO AWESOME AND ANYONE THAT GETS A CHANCE TO TAKE PICTURES OF THE PIGEON FORGE GIRLS AT THEIR SOFTBALLS GAMES SHOULD DO SO AND UPLOAD THEM TO THE WEBISTE, THEY HONESTLY DONT GET NEAR AS MUCH CREDIT AS THEY SHOULD AND THEY HAVE A GREAT TEAM THIS YEAR, I WILL BE UPLOADING PICS OF OTHER TEAMS AS WELL WHEN I GET THE CHANCE! GO TIGERS!

Pigeon Forge looked solid today against a good Rutledge team, but Rutledge won 2-0. Rutledge now stands 4-0 in the district with 2 wins over GP, and 1 each over CG and PF.

I haven't had a chance to see Union County yet. Does anyone know anything about them?

It looks like it could be another battle this season between the Lady Tigers and Lady Pioneers.

Usually Rsquared has some info. on Union. How about it...anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Rutledge over Union County 9-0 on Thursday. Up next for the Lady Pioneers is Claiborne on Tuesday and a big rematch at Pigeon Forge later Thursday.

I saw where Union beat PF @ PF 5-2. It looks like another tight year in District 2 AA between Rutledge, Union County and Pigeon Forge.

I saw where Claiborne played Union County close. They could upset someone somewhere down the road.

Rutledge over Union County 9-0 on Thursday. Up next for the Lady Pioneers is Claiborne on Tuesday and a big rematch at Pigeon Forge later Thursday.

I saw where Union beat PF @ PF 5-2. It looks like another tight year in District 2 AA between Rutledge, Union County and Pigeon Forge.

I saw where Claiborne played Union County close. They could upset someone somewhere down the road.

Let me tell you just HOW close Claiborne played us (Union Co.) in our two games earlier this season.

In the first game, at UCHS, Claiborne built a 10-2 lead after six innings. Fortunately, we were able to rally in the seventh and final inning to overcome the 8-run deficit and pull out an 11-10 win.

The following week, Claiborne held a 5-2 lead until fifth or sixth inning, only to see the Lady Patriots rally for a 10-5 win. Let me assure you, they are a vastly improved team and are capable of pulling off an upset and/or playing with almost any team in the district.

Though I'm not quite ready to concede the regular season title to Rutledge yet, it is apparent that they are definitely playing the best ball in the district at this point and have to be considered as a favorite. They are very solid defensively and have good pitching depth. If the Lady Pioneers can sustain the type of play they've gotten to this point for the duration of the season, the district could well prove to be a battle for second place between us and Pigeon Forge.

---rSquared

Rutledge defeats Claiborne County today 10-0 in five innings. Claiborne did look much improved though. They hit the ball pretty decent in the top of the lineup. I'm sure they will win some games this year. Rutledge just looked to be too strong. 1st baseman, Brabson, hit one that would have been out anywhere...except the baseball field at Rutledge. Because of this she had to get a HR the hard way. (Running all the way!) Outfielder Tia Black had 3 hits to lead the Pioneers.

Rutledge also defeated Jefferson County yesterday 7-2. They travel to Pigeon Forge on Thursday for a big district matchup.

Rutledge defeats Claiborne County today 10-0 in five innings. Claiborne did look much improved though. They hit the ball pretty decent in the top of the lineup. I'm sure they will win some games this year. Rutledge just looked to be too strong. 1st baseman, Brabson, hit one that would have been out anywhere...except the baseball field at Rutledge. Because of this she had to get a HR the hard way. (Running all the way!) Outfielder Tia Black had 3 hits to lead the Pioneers.

Rutledge also defeated Jefferson County yesterday 7-2. They travel to Pigeon Forge on Thursday for a big district matchup.

And I wonder how the game turned out in PF? Do I hear another "kachingggggg" in the Rutledge playbook? Way to go Lady Pioneers!

And I wonder how the game turned out in PF? Do I hear another "kachingggggg" in the Rutledge playbook? Way to go Lady Pioneers!

Rutledge did beat PF 7-1 Thursday night. Mudd struck out 12 batters and Brabson was 4-4 at the plate. The pitcher from PF hit the ball really well, too. It was a good close game until the Lady Pioneers broke it open in the middle of the game.

I believe right now Union has 2 losses with a game left against Rutledge. PF has 3 losses after being swept by Rutledge and splitting with Union. Rutledge sits atop the district for now...undefeated. But, the Lady Pioneers don't take either of them for granted. They realize what happened last year and they haven't forgot it!

Great job so far LADY PIONEERS!

• 2 weeks later...

District Tournament starts next monday at Pigeon Forge... The Lady Pioneers are favored to win it all. Some even think they will be takin the trip to Murfeesboro this year, but they have to come out strong against Pigeon Forge in the tournament and take care of them first. Personally I think they will go all the way this year.

Aren't you maybe jumping the gun a bit here? Pigeon Forge has a second round game with Union Co. first and these two clubs split during the season. Pigeon Forge is only seeded second because they won the coin toss/i.e. draw---UCHS and PF finished deadlocked for second place.

Rutledge will have to deal with both teams, not just Pigeon Forge.

Thank you very much,

---rSquared