cbhs vs usj

hsbaseballfan03

The umpiring did not win or lose the game for anyone. It is not an excuse for losing. I think USJ went a little flat after the incident. From my angle it looked like there was some contact but it looked like the umpire made contact with the player. I think the homeplate umpire was more favorable to CBHS and the field umpire was making up for him in the field.

USJ not used to not getting preferential treatment. Never should a player question an umpire.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say the umpiring was below average for a high school game. I have been around high school baseball a whole bunch since '99 when I was a freshman and I have never seen either of those umps and I was not impressed by either. The ump behind the plate looked like a hitter's ump and the field umpire looked a little lost. But even if you say the officiating was just ###### poor and went totally against USJ, do you think that really justifies a high school player getting in the face (and from my angle looked like he made contact, nothing major but did look like contact) with an umpire? If you make ANY excuse for that kind of behavior you are just being crazy. Taking it a step further does poor officiating (for both teams) excuse a 10-0 game? You've got to score one to beat your mom, so say what you will but CBHS thoroughly handled USJ tonight and it did answer the question brought up in the preseason whether CBHS could even beat USJ or not.

Were you even at the same game? Gant made no contact with the ump. In fact most fans didn't even know he said anything until he got tossed. In his face.........are you kidding?????? Gant was at no time in the umps face. you must have nodded off at the game and dreamed this one up on your own.The ump crossed a line when he put his hands on a player. This needs to be reported and dealt wilth. Their were other comments made by the ump throughout the game that were uncalled for and inappropriate

Were you even at the same game? Gant made no contact with the ump. In fact most fans didn't even know he said anything until he got tossed. In his face.........are you kidding?????? Gant was at no time in the umps face. you must have nodded off at the game and dreamed this one up on your own.The ump crossed a line when he put his hands on a player. This needs to be reported and dealt wilth. Their were other comments made by the ump throughout the game that were uncalled for and inappropriate

I was actually in the dugout. You may have been looking at a developing play because it happened during a play. Gant being the pitcher with a runner on first already ran in between home and third to wait to see where he would need to back up. The home plate umpire having the call if there were to be a play at third started down the line to third to get in position. Once it was clear there would be no play Gant did get in the umpires face and question the calls as he already had from the mound one time previously. I also said FROM MY ANGLE it looked like Gant made contact but I can't say that definitively. Either way it sounds like you are justifying Gant's behavior. If that is the case your thoughts are null and void, as you are obviously crazy. I'll buy that that is out of character for Gant but do you think it was a coincidence that he got frustrated the same inning he gave up 4 hits and 3 runs?

I was actually in the dugout. You may have been looking at a developing play because it happened during a play. Gant being the pitcher with a runner on first already ran in between home and third to wait to see where he would need to back up. The home plate umpire having the call if there were to be a play at third started down the line to third to get in position. Once it was clear there would be no play Gant did get in the umpires face and question the calls as he already had from the mound one time previously. I also said FROM MY ANGLE it looked like Gant made contact but I can't say that definitively. Either way it sounds like you are justifying Gant's behavior. If that is the case your thoughts are null and void, as you are obviously crazy. I'll buy that that is out of character for Gant but do you think it was a coincidence that he got frustrated the same inning he gave up 4 hits and 3 runs?

i am not justifying anyones behavior. I am saying you are painting an unclear picture of what really happened. Gant at no time got in the umps face. He had his head down when the ONE comment was made. It was a cheap toss. I am not crazy. i have been aound baseball all my life and have never seen such bad officiating. Either way USJ did not hit or score. It is hard for a pitcher to pitch when plays are not made and you have to throw down the middle of the plate. FRUSTRATED you bet!!!!!!!!! Don't have to give me a play by play I was ther too. Saw it all. GANT DID NOT GET IN THE UMPS FACE.

hsbaseballfan03, I have to agree with you. No matter the circumstance, a high school player should NEVER cross this line. I gotta believe that the coach at USJ talked directly to the player about this and that it will never happen again -- and that he has reinforced with his entire team that under no circumstances is anyone to question an ump -- and it they do, they're on the bench -- no matter who they are.

And as a senior, I'm sure Gant has already apologized to his teammates for this. No doubt it is a moment in this kid's brillant career that he'll always regret -- especially since it was against CBHS and guys he's played with and against.

Let him move on.

no matter how bad the umpires where at cbhs that is the one thing that you dont argue is balls and strikes he should have been ejected for arguing that

but you have to look at the quaility of high school umpires this year which in my opinion is really down this year.YOU HAVE SOME GOOD UMPIRES THAT GET A BLACK EYE BECAUSE OF GUYS THAT CALLED THE CBHS GAME.

but you have to look at the quaility of high school umpires this year which in my opinion is really down this year.YOU HAVE SOME GOOD UMPIRES THAT GET A BLACK EYE BECAUSE OF GUYS THAT CALLED THE CBHS GAME.

sorry -- you just nullified your previous post.

Under no circumstance should behavior like this be tolerated or justified. I'm sure Gant's parents, teammates and coaches -- and Gant himself -- would tell you the same thing. From the sound of it, we're not just talking about questioning balls and strikes. We're talking about verbal and physical behavior that is unacceptable. Period.

It was a mistake. Learn from it and move on!

no matter how bad the umpires where at cbhs that is the one thing that you dont argue is balls and strikes

WHY NOT?

Why can you not disagree with balls and strikes?

Don't think it's the player's role to do this, but sure don't understand why you can't argue if you think the ump is off.

In MLB, they implemented this rule, but there were many reasons to do this. ONE, and the biggest one, is that MLB umpires are judged game in and game out. By professionals, and computers. So there is not the need to slow the game down arguing every single strike and ball call. And based on their rating, this determines whether they call playoff games, or in that matter, other games.

But, for some reason, the rest of baseball jumped at the chance to hide behind this rule. The fact of the matter is, some umpires just don't do a good job at this, and they hide behind the rule that MLB implemented. If you are doing a good job, there won't be much arguement. If you are not, then expect someone to disagree with you. If you are so thinskinned you can't handle it, then maybe you are in the wrong business.

Now, in with that said, no one should ever show up an umpire. But, in this case, I didn't see Gant do that. In fact, I agree with another post, over 75% of the crowd had no idea at all why Gant was tossed. So if that was the case, there sure couldn't have been much of a problem. Too quick of a tigger if you ask me. Took away from what was going to be a great pitching contest.

WHY NOT?

Why can you not disagree with balls and strikes?

Don't think it's the player's role to do this, but sure don't understand why you can't argue if you think the ump is off.

In MLB, they implemented this rule, but there were many reasons to do this. ONE, and the biggest one, is that MLB umpires are judged game in and game out. By professionals, and computers. So there is not the need to slow the game down arguing every single strike and ball call. And based on their rating, this determines whether they call playoff games, or in that matter, other games.

But, for some reason, the rest of baseball jumped at the chance to hide behind this rule. The fact of the matter is, some umpires just don't do a good job at this, and they hide behind the rule that MLB implemented. If you are doing a good job, there won't be much arguement. If you are not, then expect someone to disagree with you. If you are so thinskinned you can't handle it, then maybe you are in the wrong business.

Now, in with that said, no one should ever show up an umpire. But, in this case, I didn't see Gant do that. In fact, I agree with another post, over 75% of the crowd had no idea at all why Gant was tossed. So if that was the case, there sure couldn't have been much of a problem. Too quick of a tigger if you ask me. Took away from what was going to be a great pitching contest.

75% of the crowd didn't know why he was ejected for two reasons. 1. It was the tail end of a play so if you weren't looking you didn't see the incident. 2. If you weren't close enough to hear what Gant was saying ( certain words, use your imagination) then you probably wouldn't understand why he was tossed.

On another note, your more than welcome to disagree with any call you'd like. I don't think Martinez was out at first on that pick, so I disagreed and the game went on. Yell and gripe from the stands all you want, but unfortunately for you the only opinion that matters is that of the umpire.