dyer county or dyersburg?

indianwarrior

Aw, come on, fellas. Are you going to start telling us yunguns what is was like to walk 20 miles to and from school? Uphill bothways? What was it like walking over sharp rocks with no shoes on in 2 feet of snow each winter? Exactly how did y'all feel when those new fangled horseless cairrages came along? Did electricity take some time to get used to? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

But seriously.... Dyersburg's gonna win.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can remember that at 10PM, the only thing you would get on TV is snow...... i also remember that "lunch" after sunday morning worhsip was a huge family thing, but then again so was every meal every day...... i remember going to sleep at night with the local am radio station signing off the air to "dixie", and waking up to the "star spangled banner"......

i remember asking my dad to change sunday evening church service times so we would not miss walt disney and bonanza.....

remember our first home and car air conditioner…… our annual trip to foley alabama to see family and go to the beach...........i remember when the main intersection at gulf shores had only two motels, and the rest was nothing but beach for miles in either direction.....

remember when schools were first integrated…my first grade was the first year for integration.........was not a big deal with us, but must have been something cause all the adults were up in arms…

but most memorable was when I rode my bike down the street to the high school, where for hours I watched the franklin county rebels practice.......players such as robert fraley, phil fulmer, mantooth, oneal, and many others, then it was on to the band field where the rebel pride band practiced…….then over to the pharmacy to get a bloody marty drink……

you are right choctawqb……… it is great to stop for a moment, look back, and remember........

my gosh yall bunch of old men......

i got all of yall beat......check out this link best team coacht ever played against

when i was about 8 or so, most of these guys played backyard football in my backyard.......... i was all time center........ scared me so bad i deceided to be in the band.......

For some reason I thought you went to Maryville High School..MG....If you did you probably knew the Casteel brothers...Mike who played at UT and his brother who played at MTSU.....And I knew another cat from Maryville...Class of 1972 I believe...He went to UT as a quarterback ....Ended up at MTSU where he played football and baseball....He was voted Maryville's quarterback for the 25 year team back in the 80's....Tommy Beaver... "The Beav"...He could tell some wild stories about playing at UT and playing at MTSU....He said they beat Tenn St. when they had "Too Tall Jones" Mike Hegman, "Jefferson St." Joe Gilliam...and the next year when they played them...He said they came out to the James Brown record..."PAYBACK"...Said they were circling the field and clapping their hands while "THE GODFATHER OF SOUL" blasted on the PA... "Beav" said..."Payback is what they got too....The killed us... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

steviedue, i was born up on the mountain top at sewanee, and raised down in the valley......

i was not kidding about fulmer, fraley and several others who played backyard football in my backyard.....fulmer dated our neighbors daughter, and several of the rebel players lived in the neighborhood...... my backyard was big, so that is where they ended up....... fulmers homeplace is about 2 miles from my parents old home place...... and this one is is even scarier.....my mom went to high school with johnny majors down at huntland where his dad (shirley) was a coach.....

i loved football but was not near good enough to play....so i joined the band, played trumpet, and sat in the back of the bus with some majoretts /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> don't regret that decesion one bit....... i foundly remember those long drives home from lawrenceburg, lincoln county and shelbyville....../smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

can remember that at 10PM, the only thing you would get on TV is snow...... i also remember that "lunch" after sunday morning worhsip was a huge family thing, but then again so was every meal every day...... i remember going to sleep at night with the local am radio station signing off the air to "dixie", and waking up to the "star spangled banner"......

i remember asking my dad to change sunday evening church service times so we would not miss walt disney and bonanza.....

remember our first home and car air conditioner…… our annual trip to foley alabama to see family and go to the beach...........i remember when the main intersection at gulf shores had only two motels, and the rest was nothing but beach for miles in either direction.....

remember when schools were first integrated…my first grade was the first year for integration.........was not a big deal with us, but must have been something cause all the adults were up in arms…

but most memorable was when I rode my bike down the street to the high school, where for hours I watched the franklin county rebels practice.......players such as robert fraley, phil fulmer, mantooth, oneal, and many others, then it was on to the band field where the rebel pride band practiced…….then over to the pharmacy to get a bloody marty drink……

you are right choctawqb……… it is great to stop for a moment, look back, and remember........

I remember the Sunday dinners at my gran's....EVERY sunday. The Disney channel, Mork and Mindy...little bit younger than ya'll /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> ...fighting with my brother on Saturday mornings...I wanted American Bandstand and he wanted Memphis wrestling. Remember when Scooby Doo was just that, no Scrappy Doo. Going out to play coming home for lunch and out again till suppertime. Riding my bike for miles and miles a day. Being able to leave your house and car unlocked. Remember when a fight was fought with your hands and the next day forgiven. Not with guns and knives. Remember when people worked for what they had and took pride in it. You are right ....it is nice to look back sometimes.

Sunday Mornings before Church...You watched..."The Lewis Family"...."Gospel Singing Jubilee" ( The Florida Boys, Happy Goodman Family, The Hinsons, The Inspirations, The Blackwood Brothers,etc)...then the Rev. Oris Mays came on....Always ate "Diner" at my Grandmother's house after church....After Church was over we would end up at somebody's house to play "Sandlot Football or Basketball...After SUNDAY NIGHT CHURCH.....Bonanza came on Channel 5...( IF I was sick I got to watch Walt Disney...This was when Walt would INTRODUCE the episode himself)...Then it was changed to Disney's Wonderful World of Color after he died...

You would watch "The Little Rascals" or the Three Stooges before School...or after...along with reruns of I Love Lucy, Gilligans Island..( Ginger or Mary Ann?).Rawhide, The Rifleman, The Big Valley.. ( If you were lucky and could pick up Channel 7 out of Jackson..You got to watch Six Gun Theater...ROY ROGERS AND GENE AUTRY.)...Monday nights you watched GUNSMOKE....Shows like The High Chapparl came on during the week...lots of Westerns...All in the Family debuted in 1971 and I remember my parents making me go to bed because " I WASN"T OLD ENOUGH TO WATCH IT" ( Seems rather tame, comparing what children see now)..I remember when Cigarettes where advertised on TV...Hawaii Five-0, Mannix, The Beverly Hillbillies, THe Carol Burnett Show, Misson Impossible, Green Acres, Hogans Heroes..all those shows we watched when I was a kid...

Saturday Mornings were Cartoons...up until 11.00 am. then you were considered communist if you didn't watch Memphis Wrestling....First on Channel 13...Then on Channel 5....Lance "Bannana Nose" Russeel and Dave Brown brought you the play by play...Jackie Fargo, Tojo, Don and Al Greene and of Course "The King " Jerry Lawler...Then after Diner...You watched TARZAN...I mean the REAL TARZAN with Johnny Weismuller....Then on Saturday Nights...It was the "Wilburn Brothers show with Lorretta Lynn...That God Old Nashville Music..and The Porter Waggoner Show with Ms. Dollly Parton....6" O'clock rolled around and we watched Hee- Haw.. ( YOU EITHER WATCHED IT ON WENT OUTSIDE...MY PARENTS AND GRANDPARENTS THAT WAS AN UNWRITTEN LAW THAT COUNTRY MUSIC WAS ON THE TUBE ON SATURDAY NIGHT).Sunday Morning came and we started all over again..

Kids went to School ...said the Pledge of Allegiance, My First grade teacher Mrs, Maude Flatt even read us a Bible Story every morning before class and taught us "The Lords' Prayer"...If you got out of line...THE PADDLE WAS A CURE ALL FOR EVERYTHING....If it was too bad...YOU GOT IT FROM YOUR PARENTS WHEN YOU GOT HOME....Never heard a parent say.."I JUST CAN"T DO ANYTHING WITH HIM"...You had a few hoodlums but the idea of kids bringing guns to school or cursing out a teacher was unheard of...You might have cursed out a teacher once...But you didn't do it again...THEY PUT YOUR BUTT OUR THE DOOR....Somerville and Pikeville had NICE FACILTIES for THE HOODLUMS...

We rode bikes eveywhere...Rode Horses, rode our Motorcycles....We yes sir'ed and Yes Mam'ed the adults we came in contact with...If you didn't then your parents had something that usually came in contact with your butt...

Played Sandlot football, basketball and baseball year around...Begged to go outside..( When is the last time you heard a kid do that ?)...and had a lot of fun... We mowed yards, hauled hay..had chores we had to do...If you didn't do them....Better be a REALLY GOOD REASON...Like maybe you had a broke leg..LOL

What Teachers and Coaches said or did was Gospel to your parents..Just the way it was....Things were definietly under Control back then....Times have sure changed...

Aw, come on, fellas. Are you going to start telling us yunguns what is was like to walk 20 miles to and from school? Uphill bothways? What was it like walking over sharp rocks with no shoes on in 2 feet of snow each winter? Exactly how did y'all feel when those new fangled horseless cairrages came along? Did electricity take some time to get used to? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

But seriously.... Dyersburg's gonna win.

Alright now "yungun" if you're lucky & live long enough to tell "old war stories", rest assured you WILL ! Not to mention those people (ie coaches, teachers, etc) that had a great influence on you ! By the way .......... I only had to walk about 300 yards or less to school & I reckon I was blessed cause I had shoes ! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I did go back to the ol "WLS" Chicago AM radio days. then came FM & 8 track WOW what a hoot ! I don't have any idea how old you are, but I now qualify for AARP discounts so it's all good ! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Well when I was real young in the 70's...I had one outfit I loved, patchwork bellbottoms. blue striped socks, an Elvis shirt, rust colored suspenders and earth shoes...all worn together mind you /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> To keep on topic...I wore this lovely ensemble to DC football games!!! 73 your mom has told me some great stories about when you played...love the one where your dad had to tape your foot in your shoe!!!! Luv your mom...she is great. Saw your dad not too long ago in Wal-mart....he was watching me practically wrestle my six yr. old in a shopping cart!!!!

Yeah...... yeah...... yeah........... "bunch of old men" ! lol ! Ah the good ol days ! Heck mg I'm just like the fat girl at the prom & Minnie Pearl ................. "Just so Proud to be here" ! Times have changed ............ the game has changed but save for a very slim few still coaching & many long since retired there is an empty hole for things like discipline & "who runs this show". Coach Counce is one from the "old school". I respect that "old school mentality" having played during & being "raised that way" (both at home & on the field by the same man) ! Lots of successful "old men" due to the impact & principles instilled in them by ..... yes of all people .......their football coaches !

73 ..too funny /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> "Just so glad to be here"..your right about your dad>> i assume i was the 1st that referred to a f/b coach as "the old ball coach" ..Mr. Ab i always called him..too sad we old-timers can recall so much about growing up "in the god ole days" in the U.S.A. , that IS HOW as we all want the U.S.A to return to..Times have changed for the worse is my utmost fear Never to return..our Government ,Supreme Court have sure lead us in a downward spiral ..kids nowadays just dont realize what they have missed ..! aww yes its refreshing for the soul to reflect on our storied past "of the good ole days" ..

Well when I was real young in the 70's...I had one outfit I loved, patchwork bellbottoms. blue striped socks, an Elvis shirt, rust colored suspenders and earth shoes...all worn together mind you /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> To keep on topic...I wore this lovely ensemble to DC football games!!! 73 your mom has told me some great stories about when you played...love the one where your dad had to tape your foot in your shoe!!!! Luv your mom...she is great. Saw your dad not too long ago in Wal-mart....he was watching me practically wrestle my six yr. old in a shopping cart!!!!

hey admom..still got that outfit?? love to see ya wear it sometime..your a "hoot" gal /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

73 ..too funny /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> "Just so glad to be here"..your right about your dad>> i assume i was the 1st that referred to a f/b coach as "the old ball coach" ..Mr. Ab i always called him..too sad we old-timers can recall so much about growing up "in the god ole days" in the U.S.A. , that IS HOW as we all want the U.S.A to return to..Times have changed for the worse is my utmost fear Never to return..our Government ,Supreme Court have sure lead us in a downward spiral ..kids nowadays just dont realize what they have missed ..! aww yes its refreshing for the soul to reflect on our storied past "of the good ole days" ..

I'll have to say I never get tired hearing those "old stories" from that "old ball coach". Heck I guess living under his roof for most of my natural born life you don't have much of a choice. He always made it a point to teach me old fashion morals and the responsibilty of being a man. I'm grateful that there has always been a person like him in my life many people of my generation weren't afforded that luxury.