The 2nd Annual Music City Classic

so Maplewood plays 2 games in one week...Thursday vs. Gallatin and over the weekend?

Maplewood doesn't play Gallatin do they????? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Maybe their JV is playing Gallatin but the varsity opens with Memphis East and then plays at home against Pearl Cohn the very next week.

GAME 1: MEMPHIS EAST VS MAPleWOOD

Maplewood 13

Memphis east 6

In the first game of the double header at Pearl Cohn. Was expecting to be a blowout, but the fans who turn out to see the first game actually got there money worth. The mustangs of memphis east played tough with last year runner up in 4a. Maplewood did not look so sharp but this is very early in the year so they can iron out the wrinkles. In the middle of the third quarter you would think memphis east was winning the ball game when it was tied at 6 a piece. The way they were celebrating on the side line. This memphis east team showed class and heart. They should be a dark horse in there respected region. The maplewood panthers have to work on the offense. If the strong run game isnt going then they cant get the passing game to go. Never the less congrats to the panthers of Maplewood a win is a win.

5-4a Standings week 0

Maplewood 1-0

Hillsboro 0-1

Stratford 0-1

Lawerence co 0-1

Talahoma 0-1

Whites Creek 0-1

Shelbyville 0-1

GAME 2 PEARL COHN VS MEMPHIS TREZVANT

Pearl Cohn 28

Memphis Trezvant 14

In the night cap the young firebirds look really impressive in thier opening game at home. They did a good job of moving the ball on with there strong running game. And opened it up a little bit with there passing game. The firebirds did a great job on the defensive front being very aggressive and getting after the ball. The only problem is they are YOUNG, and will make mistakes the two quarterbacks have to learn how to get the ball off on time, but that will come in due time. Trezvant has a decent team and look like they can make a run in the playoffs this year with there quarterback and his strong arm leading the way, however injures are apart of the game and the firebirds left this team a little banged up on the way back to memphis. But all in all it was a great game by both teams and both showed good class in doing so

Region 4-3a Standings

Pearl Cohn 1-0

Greenbrier 1-0

Sycamore 1-0

White House 0-0

Station Camp 0-1

Macon Co. 0-1

Dekalb Co. 0-1

THE ATOMSHPHERE

Pearl Cohn the host school did a great job putting this one togather. with repainting a new firebird logo on thier press box and having some good food and some great band shows. There was no fights or any major problems. Both Pearl Cohn and Maplewood staff did a great job with the food and any other contributions. Its great to see two black inner city schools coming togather and putting on a great event. Alot poeple can say what they want, but Pearl Cohn is a great place to watch some football. I hope to see this contiuning for some time.

NEXT WEEK

Both Maplewood and Pearl Cohn will square off in one of the best rivals in metro. At Maplewood it should be a great game. Records will be put aside and bragging rights will be on the line. SHOULD BE FUN!!

Great analysis gameday22.

Pearl Cohn looked better than I was expecting in all honesty. They were led by the rushing of Lamar McLaurin who had 170 yards on the ground. #11 & #3 had their "ups & downs" but that is to be expected. Both will continue to play all year and both will only get better and more confidence will come. You could see that when #3 hit #85 on a TD strike from deep in the third quarter. Defensively Pearl Cohn is very good. Their starters gave up one score last night and that came when the Trezevant receiver caught a TD pass in triple coverage. The second TD was scored in the final minute of the game against the 2nd & 3rd team players. Even the P.A. announcer was quick to point that fact out to everyone. On defense the line is very big and athletic. Ridley, Holt, etc. are all typical PC defensive linemen in that they are big and athletic. Fitzgerald and Roberts are forces at LB. The Region 4-3A folks are going to be in for a shock if they expect PC linebackers to be "down" this year. In the secondary the Firebirds have some talent. #1 & #20 are both young guys but they have a lot of upside. Right now I am sticking to my pick that PC wins the Region 4-3A title.

Maplewood looked tons worse than I expected. You know this as well boski!!!! The quarterback, #11, was getting KILLED in the second half. He eventually left with an injury and did not return. Memphis East looked a lot better than what they were last year. They have a very talented QB who is a playmaker. With :49 to go in the game Memphis East had a receiver DROP A TOUCHDOWN CATCH on a well thrown football. If that receiver makes that catch then Memphis East either wins the game 14-13 or loses the game 13-12. They did not have a place kicker. Maplewood escaped because the defense made huge plays. Cantrell's INT two plays after the dropped pass sealed the deal. If Maplewood is going to return to the Boro this year they are going to have to get better.................MUCH BETTER!!!