referees, water and ATC

tcamom

At the Middleton game Thursday, there was an issue with the ATC entering the field to push water during a time out. The head ref made the ATC leave the field, and refused to allow her on the field for cramps, injury, etc until he signaled her on. And, he always signaled a coach on first, then the trainer after the coach asked for her. The visiting team did not have an athletic trainer. Their team was suffering multiple cramps, but the ATC from Middleton was never allowed on the field to help, just their coaches.

What is the rule on this? I have talked to the ATC, but not to the head ref, and I was not at the game to judge "dynamics". Her intent was to make sure certain specific players, who cramped last year, actually drank and did not just rinse out their mouth.

Checked with my striped better half and these are his thoughts....

Some trainers tend to "push" entering the field of play before the play is blown dead. This is a possible safety scenario to both the trainer and players and officials. However, the safety of players on both sides is always paramount. There is no time limit on an injury timeout and water breaks are encouraged. The TSSAA has specifically encouraged officials to allow numerous water breaks. But he does not believe there is a "written" rule concerning those breaks but is a point of emphasis. There is a # limit on the number of attendants for a charged timeout. They also try not to allow "drive killing" water breaks unless an injury is involved.

On another hand, health treatment can be refused. Did the other team refuse trainer assistance? Believe it or not that does happen and hubby has seen firsthand at a game.

Coaches may have have specific procedures on how they handle the trainer entering the field. An official communicates with the coaching staff who in turn can communicate with the trainer. An official should never deny a trainer field access once the play in blown dead in a needed situation.

It would be interesting to know the "dynamics" of the case and the specifics of what went on. Also it would be very interesting to hear the official's thoughts on the situation. I is difficutl to "armchair official" without all the details! Hope this helps!

Thanks for your response. I employ the ATC out of my PT clinic, but do not attend the games because my son plays for a different school. I will discuss with her the importance of waiting to enter the field until play has ceased. She has been working as an ATC for 6 years, so I tend to give her the benefit of the doubt.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your response. I employ the ATC out of my PT clinic, but do not attend the games because my son plays for a different school. I will discuss with her the importance of waiting to enter the field until play has ceased. She has been working as an ATC for 6 years, so I tend to give her the benefit of the doubt.

As a fellow atc, i would attempt to contact the head coach for your team first to see what was discussed if anything durin the pregame meeting. On nights when I have been the only ATC for both sides, I have attended the pregame meeting to make sure both sides know I am available for both teams if needed and establish a method of communicating this with both coaches and the white cap. I have been at games where the officials are taking a harder stance toward the medical personel and some games too where the opposing team refuses assitance too, so I am sure that it is probably not personal against your ATC.