Canesoverhere

I think for anybody to go into a complete no-score offense, even with a 5 point lead, is crazy. Start bringing in bench players, yes, start ratcheting it down, yes, but to stop completely is irresponsible. Only if the other team has given up would I consider it. Otherwise, if the team scores only twice, then it is a game again. Even if the other team doesn't come back and win, there is no need to crack open that door even a little bit.

I'm also not really convinced that some of the suggestions (passing the ball to their goalie, etc) are any better than scoring against the other team. If you know the other team can score against you at will, and they are not, what is the incentive to even defend/try?

As I said before, I'm ok with a mercy rule. I'm also ok with shortening the game. Unsure if I like the idea of pulling players, as this mismatch may lead to players getting hurt. As far as moving defensive players forward, I have mixed feelings. There is some merit, but it doesn't do anything to help prepare your team to take your back line and shift them to front (assuming that they would never play up front in a close game). I also remember my daughter's club coach saying a few years ago with his college team, they were up by a bunch, and his goalie begged to get a chance to play forward.... only to get a season-ending injury.

One key is the avoid scheduling games where possible where there is a huge mismatch. You can't help but to play teams within your district (though somebody said you could avoid even these), and early in post-season, you might find yourself playing somebody not in your league. There is little value in the known or expected blowout games as far as preparing your team.

The 1991 Miami Hurricanes (National Champions that year) didn't have any problem with running up the score to 46-3 against Okalahoma in the Cotton Bowl, and I doubt many (if any) Miami fans worried that they were showing poor sportsmanship when they kept scoring.

I suspect we may never agree.

Announcements

• Recent Posts

• Player of the Year is selected from the state championship team. Mr. Baseball is selected from all teams. 
    • Coach you have a nice prize to wear!         https://fb.watch/sawAhYWhgj/   https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=79!  24011444328424&set=p.7924011444328424&type=3&av=100001589421439&eav=AfadioohtnZNQy-vVnXq06az2GqJPZy3Y9joqOBQqRFGvkVtD2OI7pZhcBy6ixvhG0w&__cft__[0]=AZVNVV5aVzYZ_AMN0gXeHg_JX-gQ7BCacySYGzQG6E7y92gjlBNFlwTT7g_zHH4dbQb9gsKNs5PWEMVTtmCD5FSopv-E7B4CB6qqQFHNCpNZI7JhMJFoJobnRhip-goK8lAHPw2sCJowK0o7uUpF1CEllHEmS5PaKfIrJf4vCXiBCdfUS0OMqZf7zpWsQjCfOGM0QjysLp8ynDd7-dpedtiC6KPF37hKkRM9iG4DrSpvxQ&__tn__=R]-R
    • The people need our help!
    • Lol when was last time they won region or got past the 3 rd round. 
    • Gravedigger gotta finish filling the hole before hitting 40 East. May need a new Yellow Shirt play signaler on the Stones. And apparently a new strength coach now. Cicadas must've got shaken out of the bushes in Donelson. Hopefully the mower man sticks around to keep DG field looking pristine. Maybe new OC can call in a favor to his PGA friends that knows a thing or two about being green during the season. The heat is on soon. Bring in the 2 way freak Iceman and cool things off. He knows a thing or 2 about wildcats. Gotta take our talents South soon for Nationals. Don't step on my blue suede shoes.