Grainger Grizzlies

bballmomma

Does anyone have any takes on how the Lady Grizzlies will be this year and which player/players will stepup and be a leader this year? I did hear that they would have a freshman point guard this year and that Acuff had committed to a college. Can someone tell us are these rumors or facts? We all wanna know and remember you heard it first here on coacht!!!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any takes on how the Lady Grizzlies will be this year and which player/players will stepup and be a leader this year? I did hear that they would have a freshman point guard this year and that Acuff had committed to a college. Can someone tell us are these rumors or facts? We all wanna know and remember you heard it first here on coacht!!!!

Was wandering how long it was going to take for someone to start a thread for the first ever Lady Grizzlies basketball season, no one still has not started one for the boys team. I don't know how the team will fare this year. I know we lost three seniors who all started last year. Two of them were our guards and now a freshman must replace them unless Coach Roach starts the junior who can play point. I personally think thats what he should do because she will have more experience than either freshman. These freshman are good, don't get me wrong, but with the two Hall of Fame games then starting the season with Cocke County, I believe they want be experienced enough to handle the pressure that will be thrown at them right out of the gate. I guess the question is who will step up and become the leader of them team. Will it be Crews or Waldroup, the only seniors on the team, or will it be Acuff, who has started games since her freshman year, or will it be someone else. Thats always seemed to be the downfall of teams in the past no one wants to step up and be the leader, or if someone does the other girls are jealous of them and doesn't want to do anything they say. The thing that is going to help this team the most is finding team chemistry, and playing team ball instead of me ball which has been going on for the past few years. If they can somehow find a way to do this then anything could be possible. About Acuff, I don't know if she's committed to a college or not but I know she has been getting D-1 recognition since last year and I'm sure she's gotten more over the summer. Being in this county if she did committ I'm sure someone would know for sure, like they would if McBee has committed anywhere. Being a fan of the Pioneers/Grizzlies, I just hope she's able to complete a full season this year and next. Does anyone know how she's doing, I know she had some kind of surgery at end of last season, and is her knees doing okay? I don't know how the seaon will turn out, or who they will beat, but I wish each and every girl on them team good luck and go out there and get them this year. We got to start off the Grizzly era in fine fashion. GOOD LUCK!!! and GO GRIZZLIES111 /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I've overheard a couple people around the county say that the girls have been picked to win the district this year. Does anyone know if this is true or just some people wishing and hoping? If true do you think they can really accomplish this? I'm not saying they can't, but I just don't know about any other teams and how they will be come this season. It's gettin really exciting knowing that basketball season is just 12-13 days away. Good Luck to all the girls and go get em this season. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• 2 weeks later...

Well basketball kicked off in Grainger Co. last night and didn't start off to well for the girls. I believe the final score was 49-32 Anderson Co. Grainger started off well with Acuff getting the tip to Maples for a layup she was fouled on. Missed the shot and made 1 free throw but missed the other. Then I believe Crews or someone else drained a 2-pt basket to give them a 3-0 lead. Then it started raining threes from Anderson Co and Grainger could not defend them in 1st or 2nd half. There was 2 qestionable offensive fouls called on Maples and Acuff that erased the baskets they made. Refs were calling the least little things on Grainger while Anderson Co was getting away with alot of dirty stuff. Point guard play seems like it will be an issue unless they can finally settle on one that will be able to handle the pressure. I thought Cabbage played better than Maples at point last night, but I think I would go with an upperclassmen solely based on the experience, but I'm not the coach. Speaking of coaches it seemed like Coach Roach just gave up on the game last night. Caoch McBee was doing more caoching than he was in the 2nd half. Crews played a pretty solid game last night I think she might have had 10-15 points. Roach also played pretty well and played tough on defense. Glad to see her make her free throws something shes not been to good at the past few years. Waldroup never really did show up last night and be a presence on the floor, and had some crucial turnovers. Acuff was not playing like she can either and with 2 early fouls didn't see much playing time in 1st half. Even though those were questionable fouls she needs to step it up and not put herself in that position because her presence is needed on the floor. You can see the difference in the team when shes on the floor not even doing good compared to when she sittin on the bench in foul trouble. Free throws were another problem, i believe Grainger was 2-9 from the line in 1st quarter. Thats just unexcuseable, those should not be missed, and it wasnt just one missing it was all of them. So conclusion is we need better point guard play, Crews/Acuff need to step it up and play to their full potential night in/night out, better defense against the three ball, limit amount of turnovers, and make free throws. Just like to wish the girls well against Chuckey Doak thursday night and maybe we can get that 1st win of this basketball season. bballmomma was you at the game, if so, what was your take on it, or if any one else was there whats your take on the game. Good Luck and GO LADY GRIZZLIES!

Well basketball kicked off in Grainger Co. last night and didn't start off to well for the girls. I believe the final score was 49-32 Anderson Co. Grainger started off well with Acuff getting the tip to Maples for a layup she was fouled on. Missed the shot and made 1 free throw but missed the other. Then I believe Crews or someone else drained a 2-pt basket to give them a 3-0 lead. Then it started raining threes from Anderson Co and Grainger could not defend them in 1st or 2nd half. There was 2 qestionable offensive fouls called on Maples and Acuff that erased the baskets they made. Refs were calling the least little things on Grainger while Anderson Co was getting away with alot of dirty stuff. Point guard play seems like it will be an issue unless they can finally settle on one that will be able to handle the pressure. I thought Cabbage played better than Maples at point last night, but I think I would go with an upperclassmen solely based on the experience, but I'm not the coach. Speaking of coaches it seemed like Coach Roach just gave up on the game last night. Caoch McBee was doing more caoching than he was in the 2nd half. Crews played a pretty solid game last night I think she might have had 10-15 points. Roach also played pretty well and played tough on defense. Glad to see her make her free throws something shes not been to good at the past few years. Waldroup never really did show up last night and be a presence on the floor, and had some crucial turnovers. Acuff was not playing like she can either and with 2 early fouls didn't see much playing time in 1st half. Even though those were questionable fouls she needs to step it up and not put herself in that position because her presence is needed on the floor. You can see the difference in the team when shes on the floor not even doing good compared to when she sittin on the bench in foul trouble. Free throws were another problem, i believe Grainger was 2-9 from the line in 1st quarter. Thats just unexcuseable, those should not be missed, and it wasnt just one missing it was all of them. So conclusion is we need better point guard play, Crews/Acuff need to step it up and play to their full potential night in/night out, better defense against the three ball, limit amount of turnovers, and make free throws. Just like to wish the girls well against Chuckey Doak thursday night and maybe we can get that 1st win of this basketball season. bballmomma was you at the game, if so, what was your take on it, or if any one else was there whats your take on the game. Good Luck and GO LADY GRIZZLIES!

bigbluefan4ever thanks for the play by play no i wasn't there but i will be there for Chuckey Doak got some kin there but never fear i'll be rooting for both teams can't 4get my hometown girls. I'll be toning it down seems like i aggrevated some with my reply b4 but i never meant to and when Acuff makes it to the big league i'll be glad to let her know who's been rooting her on from behind the scenes. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> Acuff caught my attention years ago as a 9-10 year old due to her abilities and coachable personality years later she's only improving but still very coachable and a leader when she needs to be can't wait to see where she lands in college world. Good Luck Lady Grizzlies make us proud!

bigbluefan4ever thanks for the play by play no i wasn't there but i will be there for Chuckey Doak got some kin there but never fear i'll be rooting for both teams can't 4get my hometown girls. I'll be toning it down seems like i aggrevated some with my reply b4 but i never meant to and when Acuff makes it to the big league i'll be glad to let her know who's been rooting her on from behind the scenes. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> Acuff caught my attention years ago as a 9-10 year old due to her abilities and coachable personality years later she's only improving but still very coachable and a leader when she needs to be can't wait to see where she lands in college world. Good Luck Lady Grizzlies make us proud!

bballmomma, it doesn't matter what you say or how you say it some people are still going to get their feathers ruffled and not like what you may say whether it be the truth or just what you may think. Some of these people want to complain about what others say that they may not like but when someone complains about what these others have said its a different story. You just can't win or lose on these boards, its impossible. I've always liked what you said and agreed with you on some things. When Acuff makes it to the big leagues there will be more than just you rooting her on I'm sure of that she seems to have plenty of fans backing her and supporting her. If you have an opinion on anything this season, whether it has to do with Acuff or not, say it anyway. You have the right to post your thoughts on here just like everyone else. Well I'll be at the game tonight too, sure to see you there even though I'm not sure exactly who you are. Again GOOD LUCK and GO LADY GRIZZLIES. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Well they lost another one last night and it was a heartbreaking loss. Had a chance to tie or win the game with about 5 sec. left and the inbound play didn't go as expected. But they had plenty of opportunities to win the ball game. Again last night free throws would have been the difference in the game. They either missed both or only made one, some of these coming in the 4th quarter with a 2-4 point difference ball game. They also took some quick and bad shots last night, all of them. Crews wasn't playing like she had on Tuesday night and Acuff needs to quit worrying about shooting the three and put it on the floor and drive into the paint. Although she can hit the three they're not falling right now and she needs to do something else with the ball. She was not hitting the boards like Tuesday either, looked like to me she didn't even want to rebound last night. Maples started off a little shaky and was glad to see her step it up after halftime. Cabbage played good also and was glad to see her get that shot, maybe it will give her confidence to keep shooting it if open. Roach still doing good on defense got her hands on several balls but was limited due to 2 early fouls. Coach Roach seemed more into this game so he was still giving it his all when the horn sounded unlike the other night when it looked like he gave up in the 2nd half. Glad to see Acuff produce more on offense last night, I believe she had 14-16 points not sure though. But was much better shooting the ball last night compared to Tuesday night. Some of the moves and shots she took in the paint just looked good. Like I had said the other day her and Crews need to keep stepping it up and doing what they know to do. We need to continue to get better from the free throw line and our posts need to get to the line more often and make the shots when you get there. Still lacked some pressure defense on their three point shooters, but it wasn't as bad as the other night. We got a tough road ahead with Coacke Co, Seymour, and G-P. It all starts off with Cocke Co., and I hear that will be a tough test. Heard that there point is real good and will cause Maples or whoever touches the ball great problems, but maybe the girls will find a way to pull it out in the end. If you remember we did beat them two years ago at their house. So maybe luck will be on our side again. GOOD LUCK and GO LADY GRIZZLIES

bballmomma, whats your thoughts you said you were going to be at the game. Don't worry what others may think say it anyways.

Well they lost another one last night and it was a heartbreaking loss. Had a chance to tie or win the game with about 5 sec. left and the inbound play didn't go as expected. But they had plenty of opportunities to win the ball game. Again last night free throws would have been the difference in the game. They either missed both or only made one, some of these coming in the 4th quarter with a 2-4 point difference ball game. They also took some quick and bad shots last night, all of them. Crews wasn't playing like she had on Tuesday night and Acuff needs to quit worrying about shooting the three and put it on the floor and drive into the paint. Although she can hit the three they're not falling right now and she needs to do something else with the ball. She was not hitting the boards like Tuesday either, looked like to me she didn't even want to rebound last night. Maples started off a little shaky and was glad to see her step it up after halftime. Cabbage played good also and was glad to see her get that shot, maybe it will give her confidence to keep shooting it if open. Roach still doing good on defense got her hands on several balls but was limited due to 2 early fouls. Coach Roach seemed more into this game so he was still giving it his all when the horn sounded unlike the other night when it looked like he gave up in the 2nd half. Glad to see Acuff produce more on offense last night, I believe she had 14-16 points not sure though. But was much better shooting the ball last night compared to Tuesday night. Some of the moves and shots she took in the paint just looked good. Like I had said the other day her and Crews need to keep stepping it up and doing what they know to do. We need to continue to get better from the free throw line and our posts need to get to the line more often and make the shots when you get there. Still lacked some pressure defense on their three point shooters, but it wasn't as bad as the other night. We got a tough road ahead with Coacke Co, Seymour, and G-P. It all starts off with Cocke Co., and I hear that will be a tough test. Heard that there point is real good and will cause Maples or whoever touches the ball great problems, but maybe the girls will find a way to pull it out in the end. If you remember we did beat them two years ago at their house. So maybe luck will be on our side again. GOOD LUCK and GO LADY GRIZZLIES

bballmomma, whats your thoughts you said you were going to be at the game. Don't worry what others may think say it anyways.

Yep i was there and based on how Chuckey-Doak played Grainger should of blown them out of the water. Their 3 pointers is all that kept them in the game. It's sad when your to posts( Acuff and Crews) had to leave their man to come out and try to guard the shooters. I agree Acuff and Crews needs to step it up a lot they both are very talented players and can bring more than they do. Your lack of a true point will unfortunately be the downfall this year. When your post can handle the ball better than who is "supposed to be a pointguard" somethings wrong. If Crews and Acuff had more speed then one of them would be my point. Roach has increased her defense tremendously and hope she keeps it up. Not real sure on the two little points both are good players but not up to playing girls 2-3 years older the maturity level just isn't there "yet" but i'm sure next year they both will make a huge inpact it'll be to late for Crews but a big help for Acuff and Roach next year. Crews is a great kid and i'd love to see them win big this year so she can go out with a bang. She's played all four years and played with a lot of heart and soul.

MAke sure we get an update on the games next week ole bballmomma will be on vacation but i'll be checking the message boards.

I hope every family has a blessed and safe Thanksgiving! GO LADY GRIZZLIES!

Yep i was there and based on how Chuckey-Doak played Grainger should of blown them out of the water. Their 3 pointers is all that kept them in the game. It's sad when your to posts( Acuff and Crews) had to leave their man to come out and try to guard the shooters. I agree Acuff and Crews needs to step it up a lot they both are very talented players and can bring more than they do. Your lack of a true point will unfortunately be the downfall this year. When your post can handle the ball better than who is "supposed to be a pointguard" somethings wrong. If Crews and Acuff had more speed then one of them would be my point. Roach has increased her defense tremendously and hope she keeps it up. Not real sure on the two little points both are good players but not up to playing girls 2-3 years older the maturity level just isn't there "yet" but i'm sure next year they both will make a huge inpact it'll be to late for Crews but a big help for Acuff and Roach next year. Crews is a great kid and i'd love to see them win big this year so she can go out with a bang. She's played all four years and played with a lot of heart and soul.

MAke sure we get an update on the games next week ole bballmomma will be on vacation but i'll be checking the message boards.

I hope every family has a blessed and safe Thanksgiving! GO LADY GRIZZLIES!

I'll make sure to keep you updated bballmomma. We'll see how good our points will be able to handle some real pressure from the Cocke Co. point. If I remember correctly last year she gave Stratton and Edde problems and they were both 2 yrs older than her. With her being 2 yrs older than our points, I believe we will be in for a long night unless something changes or something goes completely wrong for Cocke Co. This is the game where both Acuff and Crews will both have to play to their full potential. i hope you had a good Thanksgiving, I know me and my family did, and hope you have a good vacation and get some rest and relaxation. Maybe I'll be able to tell you good things this coming week as we face Cocke Co, Seymour, and G-P all in the same week. Man what a way to kick off the season. GOOD LUCK and GO LADY GRIZZLIES /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I think we will get better as the year goes on, but this week will be a good test for the Lady Grizzlies. Buda(PG) will be a formidable test for the young ball handlers. We definitely can't forget the post play of Shannon Depew from Cocke County either. Crews, Acuff, Roach and Waudrop will all have to play strong inside to slow down Cocke Countys strength in the paint. If we do this we will have a chance to play with and compete with a strong CC team. Games later in the week will be big road games that are always tough. (at Seymour and at GP. ) Good luck ladies!

We didn't fare too well against Cocke County, but the girls went on the road and split with Seymour and GP. Those are usually two tough places to play at. Good job ladies getting into the WIN column Friday night.

I knew we wouldn't do too well against Cocke Co, I had heard and read too much about their girls to think that we could have beat them. As for the Seymour game we had it down to 2 or 4 points in the 4th quarter and we found a way to end up losing the game. Missed shots and turnovers were the demise in this game. From my count watching the game in the stands between Acuff and Crews there was probably 10-15 turnovers just between them, and that's not counting the rest of the team. Throughout the first few games here Acuff seems to be in a shooting slump and she needs to snap out of it someway to help her team get better. Maybe she started with the game Friday night at G-P. It didn't seem as though she missed many shots, maybe 2-5, and she finally hit a three pointer. I think at the end of the game Waldroup ended up with 11, Acuff 9, and Cabbage 8. I was glad to see Cabbage hit her stride. After that game I believe if I was the coach I would start Cabbage in place of Maples, she just seems to be playing better than Maples right now, but I'm not the coach, just a fan who likes to give my opinion. I have to say the G-P game was the best the Lady Grizzlies have played all season, and with that 1st win maybe it will be a step in the right direction. I just have to say GOOD LUCK and GO LADY GRIZZLIES /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />