Grainger Grizzlies

bballmomma

Well they ladies beat Hancock Co to give them their 2nd win in as many games. I think they final was a 15 pt difference but could have been more than that. These past 2 games is the best they have played so far, but they can play better than that. They should have beat Hancock by 20-30 or more points because only had 7 girls playing. Some of the girls still aren't playing to their full potential (Acuff & Crews), but seem to be playing better than at first of season. Was glad to see that Roach didn't hurt her knee as bad as what some thought at the Seymour game. Her presence is needed on the defensive end, where I think she is the best defensive player we have. Acuff's shot seems to be coming along more and more each game, and the past 2 games she has hit 3s that she had not been making in previous games. Her and Crews need to find a way to get to the basket then get to the free throw line. Free throws still seem to be a hassle among our girls, they can't seem to hit them. Maybe that will straighten up as the season goes on. They have a big game Friday against Claiborne Co. It's their 2nd district game and maybe we can come out with the W. If they continue to play like they have the past 2 games and continue to get better there will be good things around for them come tourney time. But they need to tae it one game at a time, and all of us fans need to be there to support them along the way. bballmomma were you at the game, if so whats your opinion on it. Also I hope you had a good time on your vacation getting some good ole rest and relaxation. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they ladies beat Hancock Co to give them their 2nd win in as many games. I think they final was a 15 pt difference but could have been more than that. These past 2 games is the best they have played so far, but they can play better than that. They should have beat Hancock by 20-30 or more points because only had 7 girls playing. Some of the girls still aren't playing to their full potential (Acuff & Crews), but seem to be playing better than at first of season. Was glad to see that Roach didn't hurt her knee as bad as what some thought at the Seymour game. Her presence is needed on the defensive end, where I think she is the best defensive player we have. Acuff's shot seems to be coming along more and more each game, and the past 2 games she has hit 3s that she had not been making in previous games. Her and Crews need to find a way to get to the basket then get to the free throw line. Free throws still seem to be a hassle among our girls, they can't seem to hit them. Maybe that will straighten up as the season goes on. They have a big game Friday against Claiborne Co. It's their 2nd district game and maybe we can come out with the W. If they continue to play like they have the past 2 games and continue to get better there will be good things around for them come tourney time. But they need to tae it one game at a time, and all of us fans need to be there to support them along the way. bballmomma were you at the game, if so whats your opinion on it. Also I hope you had a good time on your vacation getting some good ole rest and relaxation. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

yep i was there and i'm also glad to see them come alive. I agree Crews and Acuff still need to get rough and tough and drive in to draw the foul ( then of course hit the free throws). Roach is by far the best defensive player on the team but still disappointed in the pointguards i don't understand why coach R don't let Roach or Spaw run point both have experince and don't get intimidated. Maples and Cabbage might of been great in middle school but as we all know HS is a different animal. I'm not saying that to be negative towards them both young ladies have a lot of potential but in the same sense it's not fair to them to be put in a postition they're not ready for. I think next year it'll be a different story with them. Glad to see Waldroup stepping up. I think these girls do have a good shot @ winning the conference if they'll stick together and play team ball. Noticed Acuff had a shiner after the game....way to take one for the team. Can't wait to see GHS play CHS on friday night Crews and Acuff step up and be the leaders everyone knows you are! Yeah ole bballmomma's vacation was great nothing like the sand and

surf to make the ole bones feel alive. /motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" /> GO LADY GRIZZLIES!!!!

yep i was there and i'm also glad to see them come alive. I agree Crews and Acuff still need to get rough and tough and drive in to draw the foul ( then of course hit the free throws). Roach is by far the best defensive player on the team but still disappointed in the pointguards i don't understand why coach R don't let Roach or Spaw run point both have experince and don't get intimidated. Maples and Cabbage might of been great in middle school but as we all know HS is a different animal. I'm not saying that to be negative towards them both young ladies have a lot of potential but in the same sense it's not fair to them to be put in a postition they're not ready for. I think next year it'll be a different story with them. Glad to see Waldroup stepping up. I think these girls do have a good shot @ winning the conference if they'll stick together and play team ball. Noticed Acuff had a shiner after the game....way to take one for the team. Can't wait to see GHS play CHS on friday night Crews and Acuff step up and be the leaders everyone knows you are! Yeah ole bballmomma's vacation was great nothing like the sand and

surf to make the ole bones feel alive. /motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" /> GO LADY GRIZZLIES!!!!

Glad to know you had fun on your vacation, and sand and surf helps out everyone when they need it. I noticed the shiner Acuff had too. She really took a hard hit and I think they ended up giving her the foul on the play after she was the one who got her head knocked off. I laughed my tail off when I heard her tell her mom that she thought the whole side of her face had been ripped off. I know thats not funny, but how she was describing it was. I agree, and have said all along that Coach Roach needs to be starting someone else at point because Maples/Cabbage isn't experienced enough to handle it yet. Glad to see Spaw on the floor more in that game than any other game. She needs more playing time and don't know why Coach R doesn't give her more court time. Crews and Acuff do need to keep stepping it up every game, and then anything is a possibility. I can't wait for the game Friday night to see if the girls can get that 2nd conference win and keep themselves undeafeated in conference as the season goes along. But right now its just one game at a time. Good Luck Lady Grizzlies and beat Claiborne Co. Friday night. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Greetings Grainger fans!

After the Claiborne game last night I saw this thread and tried to go back and review what had been posted to determine where last night's results fit into your season thus far.

Over the last few years I've attended many Rutledge-CHS games and have become familiar with the faces of your players, if I don't recall all of their names. I was anticipating a great game driving over to Rutledge last night and felt as I was watching warmups that Grainger clearly had a matchup advantage, not only in size but experience at most positions.

From my observation it seemed that rebounding and hustle were the difference in the game, with Claiborne crashing the boards and beating Grainger to the loose balls several times. I just didn't see the intensity I expected from Grainger I suppose. What perspective do you all have?

BTW, you have a beautiful new school and gym! Very nice facilities and all of the people that were working the tickets and concession stands were very hospitable to the opposing fans. I will miss the old Rutledge gym though because due to its smaller size it seems that the home fans were more imposing. Last night they still made noise, but it just wasn't the same. At any rate, good luck with the season for both teams and we'll see you Jan. 23 in New Tazewell!

Greetings Grainger fans!

After the Claiborne game last night I saw this thread and tried to go back and review what had been posted to determine where last night's results fit into your season thus far.

Over the last few years I've attended many Rutledge-CHS games and have become familiar with the faces of your players, if I don't recall all of their names. I was anticipating a great game driving over to Rutledge last night and felt as I was watching warmups that Grainger clearly had a matchup advantage, not only in size but experience at most positions.

From my observation it seemed that rebounding and hustle were the difference in the game, with Claiborne crashing the boards and beating Grainger to the loose balls several times. I just didn't see the intensity I expected from Grainger I suppose. What perspective do you all have?

BTW, you have a beautiful new school and gym! Very nice facilities and all of the people that were working the tickets and concession stands were very hospitable to the opposing fans. I will miss the old Rutledge gym though because due to its smaller size it seems that the home fans were more imposing. Last night they still made noise, but it just wasn't the same. At any rate, good luck with the season for both teams and we'll see you Jan. 23 in New Tazewell!

Well the intensity of the game for Grainger might have been better if 2 of the best players weren't spending most of their time on the sidelines with 4 fouls each. They never really had a chance to get into a groove out on the floor. Probably 4 out of 8 of their fouls were very questionable. I heard Roach tell someone that her 1st foul was supposed to go on Crews and that Crews even told her thanks for taking her foul from her (in a joking way), and Acuff"s 1st foul was a jump ball where she was the one with the ball. Not saying all the bad calls were against

Grainger because if I remember correctly Claiborne had 10+fouls with 2 mins. to go before half, and that both teams ended up with around 10 in 2nd half. I read where someone posted on the Grainger boys thread that it was recorded that Claiborne shot 40 free throws and Grainger shot 27. These refs wouldn't let any team play. I'm not taking anything away from Claiborne, you guys came across the mountain ready to play and just outplayed us, and with everything that I read that went on last year over there I wish you all the best of luck on the rest of the season, and maybe this will be the season where you guys turn it around. We'll see ya again before long and maybe then we'll be ready to play, and with different officials and hopefully it will be a different ending (and I mean that in a good sportsmanlike type way). Again good luck to you guys and Good Luck to the Lady Grizzlies.

hey guys inquiring minds want to know just wondering if Acuff was hurt or sick didn't see her last night @ the pigeon forge game? by the way ladies i was glad to see you battling and almost pulling it out with the absence of one of the starters. Good job ladies keep it up the season just starting. GO LADY GRIZZLIES!!!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

hey guys inquiring minds want to know just wondering if Acuff was hurt or sick didn't see her last night @ the pigeon forge game? by the way ladies i was glad to see you battling and almost pulling it out with the absence of one of the starters. Good job ladies keep it up the season just starting. GO LADY GRIZZLIES!!!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Hey guys sorry its been a while. Was out of town, didn't get to catch the Pigeon Forge game, can you give a summary of the game? Made it to the Carter game Friday night and overheard someone say that Acuff was out due to the death of her granddad. I wish her and her family well during this holiday season, and they will be in my thoughts and prayers. The girls tried pulling this game out too, without Acuff there. The 39-38 loss was heartbreaking. Glad to see the girls hitting their free throws better, although they missed enough to make the difference of the game (I think they mised 3-4, and all of them count). Grainger's problem tonight was they couldn't stop Caldwell (who Ithink had about 20 pts). Well I wish all the girls and their families a very Mery Christmas, and I wish them well at the Union Co. Christmas Tourney. PLAY HARD AND GOOD LUCK /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

We've got to committ to playing harder on defense if we are going to be our best. We have too many that want to shoot the ball and they think it ends there. It doesn't matter who the primary shot takers are, but they have got to get that figured out. I think Crews, Acuff and probably one or both of the freshmen should be the four taking most of the shots. I also think we have plenty of peremiter players and we need to post Acuff up on the box more often. She could get 12-15 every night in the low post game and then an occasional outside shot in transition. Crews has a good 12 ft. jumper and works hard. The two freshmen, Cabbage and Maples, are probably the best overall shooters on the team. If the rest of the team can continue to contribute with Rebounds, Defense, and the Occasional Basket the Lady Grizzlies can turn things around. I really think we are better than our record shows. JMO

Good luck Ladies!

We played some of our best basketball at Union County tournament, but did not come away with a win. Could of possibly won a game or two, but we cant put together two halves like we need too. I still think we will win some district games and have a shot at the District title. Come tournament time it would not be good to have to play the Lady Grizzlies! Good luck ladies and keep improving.

We played some of our best basketball at Union County tournament, but did not come away with a win. Could of possibly won a game or two, but we cant put together two halves like we need too. I still think we will win some district games and have a shot at the District title. Come tournament time it would not be good to have to play the Lady Grizzlies! Good luck ladies and keep improving.

Yeah third quarter seems to be there downfall. If they are playing well I don't think they need to go into the locker room at half because it seems to mess with them. They did play a good overall tourney. Crews and Acuff played well averaging about 10 and 15 pts respectively, or close to that total. Well big District game with Cumberland Gap tomorrow night at CG. Should be a tough test but maybe we can come out with the W in the end. GOOD LUCK AND GO LADY GRIZZLIES

Well the ladies traveled to Cumberland Gap and come away with another loss. I can't seem to figure out the problem of this team. Some girls seem like they don't care if they are playing or not and some girls aren't even given the chance to see what they can or cannot do. Last night the final was a 10-12 pt difference, but with the way some of the girls were playing it could have been a bigger margin. We seem to continue to have excessive breakdowns on defense and don't want to reboud on offense. They would rather go back to play defense than try and keep possession on offense. I think Coach R needs to make up his mind whether he is going to coach the entire ball game or not. Last night when Acuff fouled out with about 2 1/2 mins left in the ball game with the girls down 10 he just sits down like he doesn't care whether they win or lose. With that much time left and only 10 pts down, I don't care who fouls out a coach is supposed to continue coaching to the very end. Its disheartening because you can tell it has an effect on some of the girls. Don't get me wrong Coach R may have been a good coach 25-30 years ago, but i think that coaching has passed him up. As far as the girls, it's a good thing Crews was hitting most of her shots or the difference would have been alot worse. Cabbage did a good job filling in for Maples who dislocated or broke her finger (not sure which, but they told her to have it checked out today). Acuff played possibly the worst game of her high school career. She had I believe on 2 or 4 pts and fouled out with about 2 1/2 mins left in the game. The only positive she was really doing was grabbing defensive rebounds. Glad to the pick and roll working last night between Acuff and Crews, with Crews doing the rolling. It seems as though Acuff finds Crews better on the roll than Crews find Acuff. Overall just not a very good game for the girls. I wish them the best of luck for Friday nights game against G-P, maybe they can get things turned around with a win then. I also hope Maples finger isn't hurt worse than they think it might be. GOOD LUCK and GO LADY GRIZZLIES /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Well the ladies traveled to Cumberland Gap and come away with another loss. I can't seem to figure out the problem of this team. Some girls seem like they don't care if they are playing or not and some girls aren't even given the chance to see what they can or cannot do. Last night the final was a 10-12 pt difference, but with the way some of the girls were playing it could have been a bigger margin. We seem to continue to have excessive breakdowns on defense and don't want to reboud on offense. They would rather go back to play defense than try and keep possession on offense. I think Coach R needs to make up his mind whether he is going to coach the entire ball game or not. Last night when Acuff fouled out with about 2 1/2 mins left in the ball game with the girls down 10 he just sits down like he doesn't care whether they win or lose. With that much time left and only 10 pts down, I don't care who fouls out a coach is supposed to continue coaching to the very end. Its disheartening because you can tell it has an effect on some of the girls. Don't get me wrong Coach R may have been a good coach 25-30 years ago, but i think that coaching has passed him up. As far as the girls, it's a good thing Crews was hitting most of her shots or the difference would have been alot worse. Cabbage did a good job filling in for Maples who dislocated or broke her finger (not sure which, but they told her to have it checked out today). Acuff played possibly the worst game of her high school career. She had I believe on 2 or 4 pts and fouled out with about 2 1/2 mins left in the game. The only positive she was really doing was grabbing defensive rebounds. Glad to the pick and roll working last night between Acuff and Crews, with Crews doing the rolling. It seems as though Acuff finds Crews better on the roll than Crews find Acuff. Overall just not a very good game for the girls. I wish them the best of luck for Friday nights game against G-P, maybe they can get things turned around with a win then. I also hope Maples finger isn't hurt worse than they think it might be. GOOD LUCK and GO LADY GRIZZLIES /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

We did not play too well at Gap, but we bounced back pretty good against GP Friday night. The Lady Grizzlies have swept GP this season. After seeing all the teams in the district it looks like PF, Gap/Claiborne, Grainger, GP and Union. I still think there is no clear cut team that stands out like in the years past. I believe any of the top four teams could win the tournament. Good luck Lady Grizzlies and keep improving!