Independence Football

goldeneagleeye10

I would first like to say, that I am proud to be an Independence Eagle supporter no matter what. It has been a rough season, but tough times do not last.

I know the numerous IHS supporters across CoachT love talking about their football team, so I started a new thread. Let us please keep this clean (this time). Any bickering, arguing, and cheap-shots concerning "suspected identities" needs to be kept to a bare minimum. CoachT is a forum for all to discuss Tennessee High School football, in all of its variations. Let us please keep it at that.

So without further ado, I give you....

INDEPENDENCE FOOTBALL

I do not care if you put Jesus himself under center. If he does not have a running game to support him and keep the defense honest. Besides keeping the defense honest, a running game sets-up the play-action-pass, which can make any QB look like Jesus himself.

I have been disappointed that we have never even fully attempted to construct a running game. I personally feel that we have completely committed ourselves to the shot-gun with the spread since the very first scrimmage.

Running the ball is one of the simplest forms of football. A solid ground game rotates around the very fundamentals of football. The running game is the foundation of any football program.

Running the ball consists of 2 things-

O-line- The O-line's ability to block is the key to a good running game (and football team). The O-line wins games, from "pee-wee" all the way to the NFL. Run Blocking is easily the simplest & most-fundamental exercise in all of football (it is just hitting). Anyone can be taught to effectively run-block. A good blocking scheme coupled with disciplined & trained (not "talented") young men can mask many things.

Running backs- Any relatively athletic kid who is willing to endure more than his fair share of hits can play running back. The basic running plays are simple to teach and learn. Kids can be taught to receive a hand-off and hit the proper hole running at full speed.

The other Principle of football is Tackling

Tackling- After someone is taught to hit, they can be taught to tackle another human being. Athletes can be taught perfect form in making a tackle. It does not take a genius to teach this basic move After basic tackling has been mastered, young men can be taught the best approach angle, which will put them in the best position to makes high percentage tackles. A group of young men working together & executing the basics will over-achieve their own skill level.

These are the very basics of Football. These are the first things any kid should be taught when they put on a pair of shoulder pads and a helmet for the first time. I am very disappointed that the kids at IHS have not been taught these skills. If the current staff at IHS can not teach these tactics, then I suggest we find some people who can. Or I fear that this will be the first in a long streak of 3-win seasons

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would first like to say, that I am proud to be an Independence Eagle supporter no matter what. It has been a rough season, but tough times do not last.

I know the numerous IHS supporters across CoachT love talking about their football team, so I started a new thread. Let us please keep this clean (this time). Any bickering, arguing, and cheap-shots concerning "suspected identities" needs to be kept to a bare minimum. CoachT is a forum for all to discuss Tennessee High School football, in all of its variations. Let us please keep it at that.

So without further ado, I give you....

INDEPENDENCE FOOTBALL

I do not care if you put Jesus himself under center. If he does not have a running game to support him and keep the defense honest. Besides keeping the defense honest, a running game sets-up the play-action-pass, which can make any QB look like Jesus himself.

I have been disappointed that we have never even fully attempted to construct a running game. I personally feel that we have completely committed ourselves to the shot-gun with the spread since the very first scrimmage.

Running the ball is one of the simplest forms of football. A solid ground game rotates around the very fundamentals of football. The running game is the foundation of any football program.

O-line- The O-line's ability to block is the key to a good running game (and football team). The O-line wins games, from "pee-wee" all the way to the NFL. Run Blocking is easily the simplest & most-fundamental exercise in all of football (it is just hitting). Anyone can be taught to effectively run-block. A good blocking scheme coupled with disciplined & trained (not "talented") young men can mask many things.

Running backs- Any relatively athletic kid who is willing to endure more than his fair share of hits can play running back. The basic running plays are simple to teach and learn. Kids can be taught to receive a hand-off and hit the proper hole running at full speed.

Tackling- After someone is taught to hit, they can be taught to tackle another human being. Athletes can be taught perfect form in making a tackle. It does not take a genius to teach this basic move After basic tackling has been mastered, young men can be taught the best approach angle, which will put them in the best position to makes high percentage tackles. A group of young men working together & executing the basics will over-achieve their own skill level.

These are the very basics of Football. These are the first things any kid should be taught when they put on a pair of shoulder pads and a helmet for the first time. I am very disappointed that the kids at IHS have not been taught these skills. If the current staff at IHS can not teach these tactics, then I suggest we find some people who can. Or I fear that this will be the first in a long streak of 3-win seasons

First leave jesus out of this second you ask to keep possitive yet you totally rip coach eubanks

I do agree the lack of runnin game made heckman and o to predictable but as you deem to think u can just put any kid in backfirld and he can produce you are wrong as an ex o-cord for 15 at chicago hs its not that easy if it was don't ya think they would have done it.try another post

I didn't say "keep it positive" I said "keep it clean"...Totally different. As long as we are not telling people they are not welcome to come to the game on Friday night, and telling people they should call them personally to handle CoachT arguments. We will be fine.

Last time I checked Eubanks and his staff are part of IHS football, making them fair game on the message boards of CoachT. Any self-respecting coach is not going to be wasting his time patrolling CoachT, because as coaches they have all the information that we wish to know about our team. Time wasted on CoachT is time that could go into game-planning for the upcoming opponent, and I am sure that with the degree of competition these teams face every week that is time that can not afford to be wasted.

15 years??? Wow, I can honestly say I am impressed. What made you leave the H.S. system? Have you ever thought about lending you expertise to any of the local High schools? Because as many have talked about on these message boards "something is wrong with IHS football"...so how would you go about fixing it? (I am not a radical-head-case...I promise)

This is earth shattering news here G. Football is all about blocking and tackling, and also running the ball. Brilliant! I may be wrong, but have you ever coached football? I doubt it. I would venture to say that blocking and tackling is practiced at every practice (in pads of course). Coaches always practice this, but sometimes it comes down to execution. I am not saying coaches are perfect, but you can practice blocking, tackling, passing, catching, kicking, etc at every practice, but it still boils down to the kids making the plays.

So tell me what is different about this year? There are some different coaches, but the HC/OC and DC are the same. What has changed? Players. I am not saying anything bad about this team. I have tried not to compare this year to last years team, but they lost a lot of seniors that had a lot of varsity experience. They have a lot of good players with not much varsity experience. That is key. They will be better next year because of the experience.

You have really over simplified running the football. You can have the best Oline and no running back or a great running back and no Oline and it won't work. It takes a combination of a good back and Oline. Teams and talent run in cycles. What happened to Ravenwood last year? Rector, who by all accounts is one if not the best coach in the region took his team to back to back championship games and then was 4-6 last year and missed the playoffs. Didn't see posts on here questioning him and his program. Sometimes teams don't have enough players no matter who the coach is. I am sure if you talked to the coaches they would tell you they should have tried different things, but it is easy for someone on the outside to second guess them.

Are you really a fan of IHS or are you trying to rally support to get rid of the coaches? Coaching HS football is a lot different than rec baseball or whatever else you have coached if anything. If you haven't coached at the HS level you have no clue what it takes to be a good coach.

This is earth shattering news here G. Football is all about blocking and tackling, and also running the ball. Brilliant! I may be wrong, but have you ever coached football? I doubt it. I would venture to say that blocking and tackling is practiced at every practice (in pads of course). Coaches always practice this, but sometimes it comes down to execution. I am not saying coaches are perfect, but you can practice blocking, tackling, passing, catching, kicking, etc at every practice, but it still boils down to the kids making the plays.

So tell me what is different about this year? There are some different coaches, but the HC/OC and DC are the same. What has changed? Players. I am not saying anything bad about this team. I have tried not to compare this year to last years team, but they lost a lot of seniors that had a lot of varsity experience. They have a lot of good players with not much varsity experience. That is key. They will be better next year because of the experience.

You have really over simplified running the football. You can have the best Oline and no running back or a great running back and no Oline and it won't work. It takes a combination of a good back and Oline. Teams and talent run in cycles. What happened to Ravenwood last year? Rector, who by all accounts is one if not the best coach in the region took his team to back to back championship games and then was 4-6 last year and missed the playoffs. Didn't see posts on here questioning him and his program. Sometimes teams don't have enough players no matter who the coach is. I am sure if you talked to the coaches they would tell you they should have tried different things, but it is easy for someone on the outside to second guess them.

Are you really a fan of IHS or are you trying to rally support to get rid of the coaches? Coaching HS football is a lot different than rec baseball or whatever else you have coached if anything. If you haven't coached at the HS level you have no clue what it takes to be a good coach.

Sparty, where have you been? I've been getting killed out here.

I didn't say "keep it positive" I said "keep it clean"...Totally different. As long as we are not telling people they are not welcome to come to the game on Friday night, and telling people they should call them personally to handle CoachT arguments. We will be fine.

Last time I checked Eubanks and his staff are part of IHS football, making them fair game on the message boards of CoachT. Any self-respecting coach is not going to be wasting his time patrolling CoachT, because as coaches they have all the information that we wish to know about our team. Time wasted on CoachT is time that could go into game-planning for the upcoming opponent, and I am sure that with the degree of competition these teams face every week that is time that can not afford to be wasted.

15 years??? Wow, I can honestly say I am impressed. What made you leave the H.S. system? Have you ever thought about lending you expertise to any of the local High schools? Because as many have talked about on these message boards "something is wrong with IHS football"...so how would you go about fixing it? (I am not a radical-head-case...I promise)

U r wrong coaches do read these boards I respect ur opinion but with respect ur.way off base on this and qb issues. I don't care if u had rankin or rector they couldn't have helped this year , eubanks was dealt what he had. They can't recruit,so can he make what he has better yeah he can but does that mean he turnd them into top team every year. Rhs missed playoff last year this year riverdale and smyrna saved by weak region. Give him few years any one including so called experts on the ball magazine murp fair and friday nite high school 104.5 all picked indy 4th thru 6th mu hosh step back look at talent lost and poor talent first year starters they used . Yeah. 15 year now in florida running a D 1 type program and doing some work for midwest college program, indy will b fine but one thing I would have done was use a back instead of one dimmendional...

Think when new0skool opens In 2010

I know a lot of people support Coach Eubanks, and believe that this was only a "rough year"...but explain to me the thought behind calling a double-reverse inside your own 10 late in the fourth quarter in a close game.

Because that was a coaching decision, and it had nothing to do with the talent-level on the field.

How long does it take for IHS to turn this around? By "turn this around" I mean "return to the playoffs"

I do not think it is going to be anytime soon. Has anybody at INDY looked at the new classifications? Does anybody at INDY understand the new classifications?

Brentwood

Franklin

Overton

Hillsboro

Ravenwood

Independence

Best two all-around records move onto the playoffs (there is no longer a "region-record") How long will it take IHS to launch itself to the front of that region?

I do not know about everyone else...but I think that "INDY's Future" is scary (at best)

I know a lot of people support Coach Eubanks, and believe that this was only a "rough year"...but explain to me the thought behind calling a double-reverse inside your own 10 late in the fourth quarter in a close game.

Because that was a coaching decision, and it had nothing to do with the talent-level on the field.

You have the benefit of calling it a bad call after the fact, when it doesn't work. If it works, he is a genius. EVERY football coach has called plays that if they had to do it all over again, they may do it different. If that play call makes him a bad coach, then there are no good coaches out there. Answer this. In the MSU/UM game MSU goes for a 4th and 1 inside the UM 20 up by 7 with about 6 minutes to go. A field goal puts them up by 10. Good call? They made it so it was a good call. If they didn't make it and UM ties score, would you be posting about it? Coaching is more than just Xs and Os. It is easy to critique after the fact. Try calling the plays in a game sometime. It is not as easy as it looks.

How long does it take for IHS to turn this around? By "turn this around" I mean "return to the playoffs"

I do not think it is going to be anytime soon. Has anybody at INDY looked at the new classifications? Does anybody at INDY understand the new classifications?

Brentwood

Franklin

Overton

Hillsboro

Ravenwood

Independence

Best two all-around records move onto the playoffs (there is no longer a "region-record") How long will it take IHS to launch itself to the front of that region?

I do not know about everyone else...but I think that "INDY's Future" is scary (at best)

It is scary for everyone in that group not just Indy. They should be better next year. They have some good kids coming up so they will compete.

Brentwood

Franklin

Overton

Hillsboro

Ravenwood

Independence

so this year say brentwood, Franklin -looks like great team like boro left out