tssaa rules and regulations

chattanooga

east hamilton high will be opening next year, and expect an enrollment of 475-500 students. tssaa has numbers that 980 or so are zoned for the school. they will have to particpipate in a level based on the number of zoned students not the actual enrollment numbers. ooltewah will have more students than projected because many of the students zoned for east hamilton will be allowed to stay at ooltewah if they choose to. also, if a student who is zoned for another school has chosen to go to a city wide magnet school, or private school, they will have to sit out of varisty athletics for 1 year if they decide to enroll in east hamilton. what are some thoughts on all of this?

east hamilton high will be opening next year, and expect an enrollment of 475-500 students. tssaa has numbers that 980 or so are zoned for the school. they will have to particpipate in a level based on the number of zoned students not the actual enrollment numbers. ooltewah will have more students than projected because many of the students zoned for east hamilton will be allowed to stay at ooltewah if they choose to. also, if a student who is zoned for another school has chosen to go to a city wide magnet school, or private school, they will have to sit out of varisty athletics for 1 year if they decide to enroll in east hamilton. what are some thoughts on all of this?

Why are they not going to play a JV schedule for 2 years, build the program, and join a district in the 2011-2012 season? It is almost impossible to jump right in and compete. And if you aren't competing for the playoffs, you don't have to worry about eligibility problems, and you can play whoever you want. I know technically that if a player is ineligible then he/she isn't supposed to play in JV game either, but so what?

Also, any student who attends a magnet or private who is not in the East Hamilton zone can move into the zone and be immediately eligible.

I posted on here yesterday, but I think it was deleted /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

I think Chattanooga zoning is a joke. If a student is zoned for East Hamilton next year, then that student should go to East Hamilton. There are to many loop holes with the zoning in Hamilton County. It shouldn't matter if a student is a senior or freshman. Students should go to school where they are supossed to go.

Chattanooga's best recruiting practices include each public school having ONE class that is not offered at any of the other Hamilton County schools. This allows any athlete to go to public school of their choice as long as they sign up for that class and get the principals approval. This is what I was told by a North Chattanooga area high school coach. In other words, the private schools are not the only schools recruiting and that is why you see kids playing at one school one year and another the next. Red Bank picked up two aseball players from Ooltewah because they did not like the guy who was coaching at that time. They ended up leading Red Bank to a win over Ooltewah in the season closer.

The only clear cut exception is the "No kid left behind" kids. Each failing school is assigned a passing school in which those kids can choose. Their "Sister" school (the passing school) has to provide them transportation to and from school. This is killing the passing public schools with over crowding. I am not sure but I think that there are only FOUR passing PUBLIC high schools in Hamilton County. These do not include magnet schools. All kids deserve a good education but the government tax money given to the school where the kid is zoned DOES NOT follow the kid when he changes schools. The end result is why there are more private schools in Hamilton County per capita then anywhere else in the state.