New Classifications

slapper

I understand that these two schools will go before the board of control to try and change the process used to classify the schools in football. Originally the TSSAA had the schools that wanted to move up in classification commit to that move and then the classification lines were drawn. Henry Co and Morristown are wanting the TSSAA to redo them and draw the classification lines before anyone moves up in classification. I am assuming this would allow those two schools to play in the 5A playoffs next year, rather than the 6A. What are your thoughts on this proposal?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that these two schools will go before the board of control to try and change the process used to classify the schools in football. Originally the TSSAA had the schools that wanted to move up in classification commit to that move and then the classification lines were drawn. Henry Co and Morristown are wanting the TSSAA to redo them and draw the classification lines before anyone moves up in classification. I am assuming this would allow those two schools to play in the 5A playoffs next year, rather than the 6A. What are your thoughts on this proposal?

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> : /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

My two thoughts were:

1) Where did you hear this?

2)What have you been drinking?

TSSAA Board of Control Agenda Items

6. Proposal from District 14AAA and Bolton High School in Regard to Football Playoffs

The basic proposal is that no team that has not won five games could qualify for the football playoffs.

7. Proposal for Change in Subdivisions in Football Playoffs from Henry County High School and Morristown East High School

In the new classification format we have placed all schools in Division I in Class A, AA, and AAA. After schools moved up, we then subdivided each classification so that A has 1A and 2A in football; AA has 3A and 4A in football; and AAA has 5A and 6A in football.

The proposal from Henry County and Morristown East is that subdividing should take place at the first point when schools are placed in the three classes. Schools would then still have the opportunity to move up but the moving up would not cause a school to be bumped from 5A to 6A or from 3A to 4A.

8. Sullivan Central Appeals Classification AAA

6. Proposal from District 14AAA and Bolton High School in Regard to Football Playoffs

The basic proposal is that no team that has not won five games could qualify for the football playoffs.

7. Proposal for Change in Subdivisions in Football Playoffs from Henry County High School and Morristown East High School

In the new classification format we have placed all schools in Division I in Class A, AA, and AAA. After schools moved up, we then subdivided each classification so that A has 1A and 2A in football; AA has 3A and 4A in football; and AAA has 5A and 6A in football.

The proposal from Henry County and Morristown East is that subdividing should take place at the first point when schools are placed in the three classes. Schools would then still have the opportunity to move up but the moving up would not cause a school to be bumped from 5A to 6A or from 3A to 4A.

1st My apologies to "Slapper"!!!

2nd. I have not heard of this, b4 today. I do not know what to make of it. It does make sense, Henry County is the smallest 6A school. I do not know anything about the Morristown school.

Thats where I heard it! I dont drink!

Apology accepted! Now what do you think about the proposal?

My own personal opinion, and I am not close to the current program, is that Henry county can compete at whichever level we are classified. However, as THE smallest school in 6A it will be much harder to compete in the playoffs against the bigger schools. The current administrations reason's for this proposal I can not even guess at.

Sadly, IMO, I think the T$$AA will tell both schools, 'sorry, we have to stick to the plan and we have to draw the line somewhere.' In the case of Sullivan Central, I'd be shocked if the T$$AA granted them a pardon back down to Class AA. They'll most likely tell them, 'sorry, it's not our fault your school enrollment numbers were off.' Insensitivity, on the T$$AA's part, is the key.

Sadly, IMO, I think the T$$AA will tell both schools, 'sorry, we have to stick to the plan and we have to draw the line somewhere.' In the case of Sullivan Central, I'd be shocked if the T$$AA granted them a pardon back down to Class AA. They'll most likely tell them, 'sorry, it's not our fault your school enrollment numbers were off.' Insensitivity, on the T$$AA's part, is the key.

It's obvious why they are doing it. They would rather stay down a classification than go up. Typically its easier to win in a lower classification. But, every year in every state someone has to be the smallest team in each division and someone gets to be the largest school in each division. It's the luck or "unluck" of the draw so to speak.

It's obvious why they are doing it. They would rather stay down a classification than go up. Typically its easier to win in a lower classification. But, every year in every state someone has to be the smallest team in each division and someone gets to be the largest school in each division. It's the luck or "unluck" of the draw so to speak.

I agree exactly with what you are saying, but is there any validity to what they are trying to get done. Does it make more sense to draw the lines before schools move up or down, or should it be done after. I personally believe it needs to be done after. I mean lets say you draw the lines before and all of a sudden 20 teams decide they want to move up. Well now your numbers are all messed up. Thats a 40 team swing between the two classes. Just an opinion and I am not maintaining that it is even a very good opinion.