New Classifications

slapper

You are right about one thing. It is not that important. But how can Brighton have always been in 6A when we have never had a 6A classification in the state before? Now they have been a 3A school in basketball, baseball, golf, etc. but for the last 4 years they have played 4A football. The same as JCM, Northside, Munford, Hardin, Hardin and Henry. Change has always been a challenge. Again good luck with Fairley, Melrose/East, Hillsboro/Maplewood, Maryville which should have been a 5A school in football all along. I like your confidence though.

Here is how. All of the schools were divided into thirds at the beginning (1A-2A-3A). Then all you had to do was count the number of schools in a class and divide by two to determine the subdivision (1A becomes 1A/2A--2A becomes 3A/4A---3A becomes 5A/6A). Brighton was ALWAYS at the bottom of 6A by enrollment unfortunately for them. When the three schools moved up into 5A they were not "bumped" into 6A because they were already there.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they started counting from the top. You are correct if West Creek, Mitchell and Northeast do not move up in classification then Whites Creek, Dyersburg and Chattanooga Central would have been in 5A. Not a perfect system but again there rarely is one.

So you are saying that since three schools moved up two got moved up and three got moved down. Sorry but you are wrong. Its my belief that before the playoff alignment was made these two schools were 5a. I don't really think they would have made the proposal if they were always going to be 6a.

Here is how. All of the schools were divided into thirds at the beginning (1A-2A-3A). Then all you had to do was count the number of schools in a class and divide by two to determine the subdivision (1A becomes 1A/2A--2A becomes 3A/4A---3A becomes 5A/6A). Brighton was ALWAYS at the bottom of 6A by enrollment unfortunately for them. When the three schools moved up into 5A they were not "bumped" into 6A because they were already there.

Ok. I never was clear on the original line drawing line b/w 5a and 6a. Makes me wonder is TSSAA actually counted trying to get close to equal numbers in each classification or they decided the cut of for 5A was max 1399 enrolled. Surely they just didn't pull 1466 out of the hat without some logic. Good luck on your proposal but like you said it really isn't important.

So you are saying that since three schools moved up two got moved up and three got moved down. Sorry but you are wrong. Its my belief that before the playoff alignment was made these two schools were 5a. I don't really think they would have made the proposal if they were always going to be 6a.

As stated not a perfect system. As for the 2 schools being 5A yes that is correct but there was no guarantee that they would be 5A due to the cut off points being set after the movement of schools. But since I am wrong then tell me your understanding of the logic for the movement of schools? How did TSSAA determine the cut offs for the classifications then? Maybe the solution was to set the classifications by enrollment only, forget their attempt at creating parity and allowing schools strained financially for lack of support to move clasifications to cut down on travel expense. Very debatable topic.

My question is what happened to all the yelling on another thread that Henry County will play whoever and whenever. They will play who the TSSAA tells them to play. Sounds like they don't like where they ended up and now they are complaining. Kinda goes against all that crap that comes out of there.

Why don't you guys answer the thread and play Hoover in Chattanooga. You seem to think that NO ONE can beat you anyway!

Oh, I forgot you are trying to get out of the big classification!!

My question is what happened to all the yelling on another thread that Henry County will play whoever and whenever. They will play who the TSSAA tells them to play. Sounds like they don't like where they ended up and now they are complaining. Kinda goes against all that crap that comes out of there.

Why don't you guys answer the thread and play Hoover in Chattanooga. You seem to think that NO ONE can beat you anyway!

Oh, I forgot you are trying to get out of the big classification!!

HC will play whoever the TSSAA tells us to play. There is nothing at all wrong with trying to get a fair proposal passed. If it doesnt get passed HC will play in 6A. If it does get passed HC will play in 5A where the enrollment figures put us before anyone decided to move up. Either way this still holds true---HC will play whowever TSSAA tells us to play.

If TSSAA accepts the Henry County and Morristown proposal then that will open the door for all schools at the top and bottom of each classification to request a change. Excluding the bottom of 1A and the top of 6A of course.

If the proposal passes they wont have to because it will take care of everyone equally. The fact is however after reading the TSSAA website that HC/ME were the only schools in the state affected by anyone else moving up so nobody else really has anything to talk about. The deal with HC is not that they are in 6A but its HOW they were placed into 6A. If the enrollment figures had put HC/ME into 6A from the beginning there would have been no proposal from HC. Since it was the action and desire of other schools to "get what they wanted" that forced HC/ME up into 6A that brought this on as I understand it.

If the proposal passes they wont have to because it will take care of everyone equally. The fact is however after reading the TSSAA website that HC/ME were the only schools in the state affected by anyone else moving up so nobody else really has anything to talk about. The deal with HC is not that they are in 6A but its HOW they were placed into 6A. If the enrollment figures had put HC/ME into 6A from the beginning there would have been no proposal from HC. Since it was the action and desire of other schools to "get what they wanted" that forced HC/ME up into 6A that brought this on as I understand it.

Again parity and controlled cost. Three teams decided to move. The board made a decsion to try and make each classification equal in numbers and stick it to HC/ME for God knows what reason. Gaddis tells the Tennessean, "we will play where ever the TSSAA tells use to play", school administration obviously feels differently, proposal made, results yet to be determined. Better than Days of Our Lifes?

Again parity and controlled cost. Three teams decided to move. The board made a decsion to try and make each classification equal in numbers and stick it to HC/ME for God knows what reason. Gaddis tells the Tennessean, "we will play where ever the TSSAA tells use to play", school administration obviously feels differently, proposal made, results yet to be determined. Better than Days of Our Lifes?

I am sure Gaddis meant exactly that, I don t expect teh Patriots to forfeit their seson next year if the tssaa keeps them placed in 6a. The whole argument about placement is of the schools that changed classifications due to people wanting to play up, Henry County and Mo east were the two that were moved up without choice. It does not take a Phi Beta Kappa to figure out that the systemis flawed and that if Henry County has to play in 6a then so be it, if they get to play in 5a well good for them.

It entertains me that those with no horse in the race want to bad mouth the efforts of equality. Why should one school choosing to move up get to pick another schools final destination, they should not.

It would be interesting to see the attitudes of folks if this had happened to their favorite team.

But it didn't happen to their team. And right now Henry County is experiencing a high level of success and we all know that our society tends to like and underdog and not like the power that is. That's all this is becoming, people who don't like Henry County are against it, people who like them are for it.

I understand your argument that in some ways it is not fair that they were originally placed in one classification because of size but then bumped up because a couple other teams decided that they would also like to join that class for whatever reason... But at the same time I also understand that adjustments do need to be made from time to time and can see why they would want to prevent one class from having a lot more teams than another. The more teams in each class, the more playoff games they can have, the more money is made. That is what TSSAA is after, afterall.

Unfortunate yes, but did something have to happen? It probably did. Was this the right solution? Not so sure, but can not think of a better one

I am sure Gaddis meant exactly that, I don t expect teh Patriots to forfeit their seson next year if the tssaa keeps them placed in 6a. The whole argument about placement is of the schools that changed classifications due to people wanting to play up, Henry County and Mo east were the two that were moved up without choice. It does not take a Phi Beta Kappa to figure out that the systemis flawed and that if Henry County has to play in 6a then so be it, if they get to play in 5a well good for them.

It entertains me that those with no horse in the race want to bad mouth the efforts of equality. Why should one school choosing to move up get to pick another schools final destination, they should not.

It would be interesting to see the attitudes of folks if this had happened to their favorite team.

Here's what happened.

(Alpha) The initial three-class plan is released, with 112 schools in A, 112 in AA, and 111 in AAA (it's standard that the smallest class gets the extra schools). Based on those numbers, since all AAA schools have football, the AAA schools would be broken down as 56 5A and 55 6A. (In AA, which has three non-football schools--the two Nashville magnets and Collegedale Academy--you'd have 55 3A schools and 54 in 4A.)

(Beta) The move-ups are received. West Creek, Mitchell, and Northeast decide to play up. (This is a little bizarre, since Northeast had previously appealed to use a lower enrollment figure in anticipation of losing students to West Creek...) Thus increasing AAA to 114 schools and reducing AA to 109. (No school opted up from D-I A.)

(Gamma) At this point, the football subgroups are set, with the AAA schools split 57-57 and the AA schools 53-53.

What Henry County and Morristown East are proposing is that Gamma should happen before Beta. This would have the effect of moving those two schools to 5A. It would also have the effect of moving Pigeon Forge and East Literature up from 3A to 4A.

Also worth noting--this only affects football subgrouping. The actual districts will remain the same whichever way this question is decided.