Why does East Tennessee (specically Chattanooga)...

tilt43

dominate in wrestling? Seriously, just check the records and you will see that Chattanooga has won the vast majority of State Dual and Traditional State Team Titles. This is not to say that Nashville, Memphis, and Knoxville have not produced some incredible individual talents (I don't have enough time or space to name them all). Traditionally, Knoxville and Memphis appear to be the weakest Regions, but it was only two years ago that one of these Regions produced the best wrestler in the state pound for pound. Who would argue that Brandon Wright was not the most talented wrestler in the state in 2007. Both his state titles were won by battling two of Bradley's most decorated wrestlers - Spain and Cregan. And his victories were not flukes - check the Bradley Central results during those same years...

So, this leads me back to my main question - if the obviously weaker Regions of the state can periodically (and I emphasize "periodically") produce the best talent in the state (and if not "the" best, at least comparable to the best), why is it that these Regions have such a difficult time competing overall. Is it because...

1) coaching - I think this explains part of it, but we can all agree there are some really capable coaches in these Regions...

2) talent - are other sports competing for and attracting the better athletes in these Regions?

3) competition - there is no question that competition raises the bar...

4) youth wrestling - it is definitely growing in these regions, but years behind Chattanooga and Nashville

5) lack of collegiate exposure - does Chattanooga have an advantage due to UTC?

Bradley Central is the standard by which all other programs are measured. But what is it about Bradley that allows them to maintain their standard of excellence. I will concede that Steve Logsdon is a great coach (and Turner Jackson also deserves a lot of credit for the program's success). But let's be real - for all you coaches out there, you know that you cannot turn chicken sh-t into chicken salad. There are so many other factors other than "solid" coaching that are necessary to build a successful program. So, what is it about Bradley? Is it the small community? The blue collar mentality? Do they have to compete with year round baseball and soccer programs that are attracting the areas best talent? Do they have to deal with ignorant football coaches who think football players are better served moving dead weight than bodies that fight back? Is basketball a big draw in the area as it is in Knoxville and Memphis?

I believe that a rising tide carries all boats and nothing would make me prouder than to see the great state of Tennessee start making a name for itself on a national level. But in order for this to happen, the state as a whole has to lift its game. And that is going to mean areas like Memphis and Knoxville are going to have to start pushing the programs in Nashville and Chattanooga. Any and all thoughts are welcome...

There is no secret to Bradley wrestling, there is only four things you need to have.

1. Kids club that uses the BC wrestling room and kids looking up to the BC wrestlers

2. A great Middle school coach to teach the basics

3. A great coaching staff at the high school level

4. And most important, outwork everyone else

* by the way, several of the Bradley starters also participate in other sports including football. Bradley Centrals football coach is a state champion wrestler when he was at BC

And Bradley Central:

AD - Tunrer Jackson - former UTC wreslters, All American, and former Bradley coach

Football Coach - Damon Floyd - former Bradley state champion

Baseball Coach - Travia Adams - former Bradley state champion

and the biggest reason that Bradley, Cleveland and Walker Valley are great programs:

It is the water!!!!

hootowlhollow & Da Bears -

Thanks. Both your comments are appreciated. I did not realize that Bradley had so much support from the AD, baseball, and football programs. That is awesome!! I hope everyone in your wrestling community realizes how fortunate you are in that regard. It is so very frustrating trying to convince the boneheaded coaches around here that wrestling compliments their sports. Instead of being open minded and considering the benefits, they ignorantly discourage it in hopes of having their athletes play/practice their sport year-round. Oh well, we'll just have to keep fighting the good fight...

Congratulations on another great season!

And Bradley Central:

AD - Tunrer Jackson - former UTC wreslters, All American, and former Bradley coach

Football Coach - Damon Floyd - former Bradley state champion

Baseball Coach - Travia Adams - former Bradley state champion

and the biggest reason that Bradley, Cleveland and Walker Valley are great programs:

It is the water!!!!

So does the Football Coach encourage his players to wrestle?

I think coaching is the key. There are several great coaches outside chattanooga but if you look at chattanooga's coaches it is like a family tree. Turner Jackson wrestled at UTC, you had coach morgan (baylor) at UTC as a coach. Coach Connell (McCallie) caoched at Hixson and MTSU and coached Hixson's coaches Roger Vandergriff and Soddy's Steve Henry. East Ridge great Danny Gilbert also a wrestler with great roots in various levels of wrestling. Steve Logsdon as well. I am pretty sure he wrestled at UTC. Cleveland's Eslinger, same story. Ooltewah's Coaches either come from legendary families for coaching or wrestled in college. Red banks coaches have a great past as well. I am sure I can go on about this but you get the point. Some people believe that great wrestlers do not always make great coaches. However if you look at great high school or college programs, you will find great wrestlers turned coaches. It is that experience and their exposure that helps them personalize the technique for each wrestler. until that happens you will have great individuals and not always great teams. One team outside Chatt-town that was impressive. I sure loved watching Cookeville. Hope our kids learn to wrestle just like them!

A long tradition of both high school and college wrestling. For instance, Notre Dame's program has been around for 70 years. Having a strong college program at UTC, and before that UC, has provided a great source of coaches. Had Title 9 not decimated collegiate wrestling elsewhere in the state, the quality of high school wrestling would be more evenly distributed. All that and there's something in the water here.

A long tradition of both high school and college wrestling. For instance, Notre Dame's program has been around for 70 years. Having a strong college program at UTC, and before that UC, has provided a great source of coaches. Had Title 9 not decimated collegiate wrestling elsewhere in the state, the quality of high school wrestling would be more evenly distributed. All that and there's something in the water here.

Since 1972 these are the only schools that have discontinued their wresting programs.

TennesseeMaryville CollegeMiddle Tennessee StateTennesseeTennessee TechTennessee-MartinI'm not convinced that title 9 is the reason. UTC seems to find a way to have a wrestling program. How can they do it and not other schools. I really think that other colleges use title 9 as an excuse to not carry a wrestling program.