Liberty/Craigmont and JCM/Raliegh Egypt

yankees8589

Yea these games went exactly like I thought. Liberty caused problems for Craigmont all night. Craigmont couldn't stay in front of Williams and Anthony nor could they stop Johnson down low. Craigmont had a outside chance during a mini run and if Johnson 3 would have fell they would have been down 5, but Liberty answered with a 3 that put them up for good. RE was in control the whole second game. JCM suffered and early injury to their starting point guard that hampered them a little. If RE could have stayed out of foul trouble the game probably would have been a lot worse. Nobody stopped Anthony Jones at all in the second half... Should be a good game Thursday

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the Region 7 AAA Championship has been set with host Liberty set to take on defending Region Champion Raleigh-Egypt on Thursday night. In Region 8 AAA Melrose takes on 2007-2008 Region Runner-up White Station at Wooddale. Who do y'all have?

Raleigh Egypt over Liberty

Melrose over White Station

------------------------------------------

*************** Post-game Notes -- Region 8AAA **************

White Station overcame a 18+ point defecit, to FINALLY catch up to and FINALLY go ahead of Central with mere seconds left in the game! Joe Jackson caught fire, in the 2nd-half, and ended up with around 30+ points, to lead W.S.

Central (aggressively) controlled the 1st half and took a commanding 17+ half-time lead (I don't remember the exact differential). They led practically the entire ballgame!

Thanks to Central coach's PASSIVE 2nd-half strategy (i.e. Stop attacking. Slow down, run the "weave," near the half-court line & try to run out the clock.....), White Station picked up its defensive intensity, started making shots, then went on to pull out a completely improbable victory.....

Wow!

Central's coach absolutely needs to apoligize to his team. He flat-out blew this game!

The coach's flawed, 2nd-half strategy of playing "not to lose," absolutely doomed Central! They completely lost (uhh, let me say--they GAVE AWAY) all its momentum. As a result, they were (predictably) simply never able to recaptured its 1st-half aggression, rhythm and flow. The rest is history...

While I was pulling for White Station, my heart goes out to the Central players! It was very, very sad to see those kids lose the game in this manner. Heartbreaking. Absolutely heartbreaking!

Moral: Playing "not to lose" is almost-always a guaranteed way to get you beat!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Melrose's coach tried his best to duplicate Central coach's passive, "play-not-to-lose" strategy, after aggresively taking a 13+ point, early 4th qtr lead! Fortunately, for Melrose faithful, Ridgeway could not claw any closer than 3 pts.

Incedentally, this EXACT SAME "passive, play-not-to-lose" strategy actually did bite Melrose in the rear end, two weeks ago.... They blew a commanding (late 3rd qtr) 13+ point lead in the City Championship game, as they (predictably) went on to lose a heart-breaker to Raleigh Egypt!

The deep & super-talented Melrose team, behind the late-game clutch play (especially free throw shooting) of PG Chris Jones, was able to hold off a very determined (but less talented) Ridgeway team.

Melrose pulled a "Matrix," tonight -- they dodged a bullet! Two weeks ago...they did not. Tomorrow.....well, tomorrow-- they might not be so fortunate!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

************* NOTICE *****************

Melrose is the best team in Memphis!

I will be absolutely SHOCKED should Melrose NOT play for the AAA State Title!

White Station overcame a 18+ point defecit, to FINALLY catch up to and FINALLY go ahead of Central with mere seconds left in the game! Joe Jackson caught fire, in the 2nd-half, and ended up with around 30+ points, to lead W.S.

Central (aggressively) controlled the 1st half and took a commanding 17+ half-time lead (I don't remember the exact differential). They led practically the entire ballgame!

Thanks to Central coach's PASSIVE 2nd-half strategy (i.e. Stop attacking. Slow down, run the "weave," near the half-court line & try to run out the clock.....), White Station picked up its defensive intensity, started making shots, then went on to pull out a completely improbable victory.....

Wow!

Central's coach absolutely needs to apoligize to his team. He flat-out blew this game!

The coach's flawed, 2nd-half strategy of playing "not to lose," absolutely doomed Central! They completely lost (uhh, let me say--they GAVE AWAY) all its momentum. As a result, they were (predictably) simply never able to recaptured its 1st-half aggression, rhythm and flow. The rest is history...

While I was pulling for White Station, my heart goes out to the Central players! It was very, very sad to see those kids lose the game in this manner. Heartbreaking. Absolutely heartbreaking!

Melrose's coach tried his best to duplicate Central coach's passive, "play-not-to-lose" strategy, after aggresively taking a 13+ point, early 4th qtr lead! Fortunately, for Melrose faithful, Ridgeway could not claw any closer than 3 pts.

Incedentally, this EXACT SAME "passive, play-not-to-lose" strategy actually did bite Melrose in the rear end, two weeks ago.... They blew a commanding (late 3rd qtr) 13+ point lead in the City Championship game, as they (predictably) went on to lose a heart-breaker to Raleigh Egypt!

The deep & super-talented Melrose team, behind the late-game clutch play (especially free throw shooting) of PG Chris Jones, was able to hold off a very determined (but less talented) Ridgeway team.

Melrose pulled a "Matrix," tonight -- they dodged a bullet! Two weeks ago...they did not. Tomorrow.....well, tomorrow-- they might not be so fortunate!

Trader you would think Melrose coach would have figured it out by now. Everygame that they have lost was for that same stupid reason. Melrose is the most talented team that I have seen this year but I dont think they will win it. However both substate games with Liberty and RE will be great...

Trader you would think Melrose coach would have figured it out by now. Everygame that they have lost was for that same stupid reason. Melrose is the most talented team that I have seen this year but I dont think they will win it. However both substate games with Liberty and RE will be great...

Terop,

I'm inclined to agree with you.

If I didn't know any better, I'd swear that Melrose's coach suffers from a dreaded, psychological FEAR OF SUCCESS! IMHO, he is the biggest, most insurmountable obstacle standing between Melrose and a State Championship!

Sad.

---------------------------------------------------------------

In many ways, this Melrose team reminds me Hamilton's undefeated, AAA State Championship team (2005-2006): talented, deep, athletic, big, multiple scoring threats, tough-nosed defense, good offensive rebounding, excellent/speedy guard play.

The biggest difference is that Hamilton's go-to guy's were its two big, D1 post player's, Watkins & Williams. Together, they were extremely difficult for opposing teams to contain & deal with--offensively or defensively. Thus, whenever Hamilton needed a big basket, they consistently went inside to their big dogs, for much higher-percentage shots. In addition, Hamilton was a notch more dominant on the boards, both ends.

While Melrose has a good post prescence, its go-to guys are a forward & point guard. They can both break down defenses, but simply do not change the game (on BOTH ends) with the consistency &/or effectiveness as did Hamilton's "twin towers."

At the end of the day, Melrose clearly has all the goods to win the State Championship. The coach just DESPERATELY needs to learn the crucial difference between (more successful) coaching "TO WIN, " and (the not-so-successful) coaching "NOT TO LOSE."

Melrose's coach has demonstrated, repeatedly, that he does not recognize the difference.

Sad.......... What a huge (possibly) waste of an immensely talented team!

Dang guys get you an AAU program with the best players in town and start coaching. You should win a national championship with all that coaching philosophy you are putting out. Not being at the games I can't refute you view point, but I will say there are only 5 AAA high schools that currently have a chance to bring the gold ball to Memphis, so let's encourage all of them and not deride the players or coaches at this point.

GO SHEBLY METRO HOOPS

Dang guys get you an AAU program with the best players in town and start coaching. You should win a national championship with all that coaching philosophy you are putting out. Not being at the games I can't refute you view point, but I will say there are only 5 AAA high schools that currently have a chance to bring the gold ball to Memphis, so let's encourage all of them and not deride the players or coaches at this point.

GO SHEBLY METRO HOOPS

Dragon master we are entitled to our opinions as fans and spectators. I only try to give 2cents on what I personally see. Doesn't really mean anything. I'm not trying to fire up the troops to fire anyone, just honest fun. With that said I support everyone from Memphis to Jackson. Remember this is a message board...

Wow!

Manassas played to win and not to lose in the 2nd half of the state game and they still lost!!! People said Manassas should have played not to lose at that point!!!

What if Central would have kept playing and not got Conservative and still lost??? Then people would say Central should have played not to lose!!!

What im trying to say is that it is a lose lose situation for a team with a big lead but dont win the game!!!

Wow!

I was at this game, White Station was down 49-27 at the half......well, and then came the Joe Jackson show.............The End! Terrible coaching, this game reminded me of the manassas state tournament championship game last year. White Station will blast Melrose.

I was at this game, White Station was down 49-27 at the half......well, and then came the Joe Jackson show.............The End! Terrible coaching, this game reminded me of the manassas state tournament championship game last year. White Station will blast Melrose.

How does it remind you when Manassas kept doing what got them a 17pts lead and Central start holding the ball???

Both lost thats the only thing that is similar because both coaches chose to do opposite of each other!!!

Have you seen Melrose play??? On paper they're even better than White Station. Don't get me wrong the 8 AAA Championship will be a good game but Melrose should have enough to beat White Station. Joe Jackson better be completely unstoppable because I don't think they'll have enought post play against Melrose.

How does it remind you when Manassas kept doing what got them a 17pts lead and Central start holding the ball???

Both lost thats the only thing that is similar because both coaches chose to do opposite of each other!!!

Legend,

Manassas lost (to Union City) because its coach failed to make the proper 2nd-half ADJUSTMENTS!!

Central lost (to White Station) because they stopped ATTACKING. Its coach abruptly switched to the (passive) "weave" offense, during the 2nd-half. He stubbornly stuck with it, to Central's peril!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I attended the Manassas vs Union City game, as well. Here's what I saw:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Manassas came out in the same mode (correctly, IMO), as its successful 1st-half....

2) Manassas continued its 3-pt barrage during the 2nd-half, despite CLEAR, unequivocal, EARLY (3rd qtr) evidence that those SAME shots were no longer falling!

3) It was very obvious that Manassas was suddenly COLD, COLD, COLD!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is when appropriate adjustments SHOULD have been made, IMO.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4) It was pure insanity, at that point, for the coach to have allowed that unsuccessful tactic to continue... Yet, Manassas' coach stubbornly allowed this futile 3-point barrage to continue!

5) Manassas should begun attacking the basket, for instance, and getting the ball INSIDE to Buckner!!!!!!

6) Instead, Manassas continued to fire up quick, off-target 3-pointers....

7) The rest is history.........

Nebuntyn,

I attended the game, as well...... I assure you, and anybody else that might have any doubts.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe Jackson's 2nd-half effort was a RESULT....It was not the CAUSE of Central's loss!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Result: Joe Jackson caught fire. White Station outscored Central.

Cause: Central's radical, PASSIVE 2nd-half ("weave") offensive strategy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nebuntyn, do you seriously think that White Station will "blast" Melrose?

If so.....Then, with all due respect, your knowledge of basketball is extremely defective!

Trust me when I tell you -- White Station will likely have a difficult time matching up with Melrose, for 4 quarters!

Melrose should defeat White Station by 10 to 15 points!