Independence Wins Scenic City Classic

bbb

Independence Wins Scenic City Classic

Upsets No.1 Farragut

Using a near flawless pitching performance by Ford Wilson, a sparkling defense behind him and timely hitting, Independence won the 10th annnual Powerade Scenic City Classic, 8-2, at AT&T Field Saturday night and upset the nation's top team - Knoxville Farragut - in the process.

Wilson's first start of the young season resembled a Cadililac rather than a Ford, as he scattered four Admiral hits in six scoreless innings before giving way to reliever Brian Miller in the seventh.

The victors scored single runs in the fourth and fifth innings, before a six spot in the home half of the sixth inning.

"I think we wanted it (the championship) more than Farragut did and our intensity and execution were keys to our win,'' said Independence coach Bill Moore, who has eight starters back from 2008. "When we are firing on all cylinders, as we did tonight, we are a tough team to beat.''

In the fourth, Blake Carden's RBI double plated Josh Lee (who opened the inning with a single) and the Eagles had a 1-0 lead.

They added another run in the sixth as an infield error allowed Jimmy Mahan (who opened the inning with a single) to score from third.

Independence then broke the game open with six runs in the sixth to lead 8-0. Ten batters produced five hits and six runs, aided by two errors and a hit batsman. The big blow was Josh Lee's two out, three-run double for the 8-0 lead. Lee, a junior, has committed to play at Vanderbilt.

The defending state champion Admirals didn't go down without a fight as they scored twice in the seventh and had runners on second and third with one out before a game-ending double play sealed the win.

"We had to play a near flawless game tonight to have chance to win and that is what happened,'' said coach Moore. "We had two guys throwing in the bullpen all night in anticipation of Farragut getting hot. Fortunately, we had an eight run lead when they had a rally.

"If we play them 10 times, they most likely win nine of those. It just so happened that the one for us was tonight,'' Moore stated.

Good Defense: Eagles substitute third baseman Adam Lee was stellar at the hot corner, starting a double play in the fifth and had four assists and one putout ... Eagles catcher Matt Daffin picked a Farrgut runner off first base in the third ... second baseman Dane Owen started the game-ending double play with a catch of a line drive and a toss to Josh Lee covering second for the force out preserve the win.

CNN Play of the Day: In the top of the fifth, Adam Lee made the "play of the day'' and probably the tournament ... with no out and a Farragut runner on second, he caught a foul fly leaning over the Farrgut dugout railing for one out and then threw to shortstop Josh Lee covering third to get the runner attempting to advance to complete the double play ... Sixties great third basemen Brooks Robinson (Orioles) and Clete Boyer (Yankees) would have been impressed.

Big Hitters: Independence - Josh Lee (3-for-4, 2 Doubles 2B, 3 RBIs, 2 Runs) ... Blake Carden (3-for-3 ... 2 Doubles ... 1 RBI ... 1 Run)

Farragut - Steven Weaver (1-for-3 ... 2 run double)

Farragut 000 000 2 - 2-6-3

Independence 000 116 x - 8-11-1

Thoreson, Leavell (6) and Bennett; Wilson, Miller (6) and Daffin

WP - Ford Wilson (6 Inn. ... 4 Hits ... 2 Runs ... 2 Earned Runs ... 1K)

LP - Mac Thoreson (6 Inn. ... 6 Hits ... 2 Runs ... 1 Earned Run ... 2Ks)

Save - Brian Miller (1 Inn. ... 2 Hits ... O Runs ... 1 K)

Records: Independence (7-1), Farragut (7-1)

2B - (Ind.) Josh Lee (2), Matt Daffin; (Far) Steven Weaver, Nick Williams; 3B - (Ind.) Ford Wilson

*Championship

Independence 8, Farragut 2

*Semifinals

Independence 3, Dalton 2

Farragut 11, Riverdale 1

*3rd Place

Riverdale 7, Dalton 4

*2nds From Pool Play

Science Hill 2, McCallie

McCallie 5, Soddy Daisy 4

Baylor 9, Soddy Daisy 4

Baylor 14, Science Hill 7

*3rds from Pool Play

Rome 14, Red Bank 0

Brentwood 6, Red Bank 3

------------------------

Pool Play 2nds - Conso Finals

McCallie 5, Soddy Daisy 4

The Blue Tornado rallied for four runs on four hits in the bottom of the sixth to defeat Soddy Daisy, 5-4, in the consolation finals between second place teams.

The first five McCallie batters reached base in the sixth to produce the four runs. Guerin Higgins opened the sixth with a single, Stuart Voges reached base on a fielder's choice and doubles by Chase Brookshire and Nolan Woody produced two runs.

Bobby Baskette's two-run double which plated Voges and Woody turned out to be the game winning hit.

McCallie took a 1-0 lead in the second on consecutive singles by Andy Brown and David Dewhirst.

The Trojans scored two in the fourth and two in the sixth for a 4-1 lead before the Tornado rally.

In the Trojan fourth, Stewart opened with a Blake Stewart single followed by Justin Baier's two-run homer for a 2-1 lead. In the sixth, Soddy Daisy had RBI singles by Cris Manka and Hayden Clark.

Soddy Daisy was led by Zach Stephens (2-for-3), Stewart (2-for-3, 1 run), Baier (HR, 2 RBIs, 1 Run) and Clark (2-for-3, 1 RBI).

McCallie was led by Brookshire (2-for-3, 1 run), Baskette (2-for-3, 2 RBIs, 1 Stolen Base), Woody (1-for-3, 1 RBI)

Soddy Daisy 000 202 0 - 4-8-1

McCallie 010 004 x - 5-7-0

Hodges and Baier; Harrison, Teal (4) and Woody

WP - Justin Teal (3 Inn. ... 4 Hits ... 2 runs ... 2 Earned Runs ... 1K)

LP - Hodges (6 Inn. ... 7Hits ... 5 Runs ... 5 Earned Runs ... 1K)

Records: McCallie (6-3), Soddy Daisy (3-4) HR - (SD) Justin Baier ... 2B - (McC) Brookshire, Woody; (SD) Stephens, Howard

CNN Play of the Day: Top of the sixth, McCallie right fielder Chase Brookshire threw out Michael Howard at the plate attempting to score from second on a single by Clark to end the inning. McCallie left fielder John Brock also threw out a Science Hill runner at the plate in the second inning in the 2-1 loss to the Hilltoppers in the morning game.

contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net

also posted on chattanoogan.com

Congrats on a good win Independence. I heard about this game and it just seemed to me like the admirals didnt want it more. I can guarantee one thing tho that the admirals will come out with a different approach monday. This could be the best thing that happened to them...last year when they lost they were an unstopable team annd i have a feeling that this loss is going to get the ads on track....good luck to both teams and let everyone be safe and have a good year.

I have seen a few posts out there that seem to feel that Farragut did not "want" to win. I've been around youth sports for 20 years, very seldom do the players not want to win. This is baseball, things happen 1 pitch at a time. I think those that watched the game would agree, this was a hard played game. I saw full effort from both teams. Take nothing from Farragut, but give Independence credit. The Eagles have a very solid team, the roster is not as long as some of the "name" schools, but the kids work hard and play hard.

Independence hit the ball well all weekend, and will continue to hit the ball this year, so district play should be fun. Farragut is Farragut, they have a program that will continue to turn out excellent players and they will win lots of games.

My only issue with Farragut was their refusal to accept the 2nd place trophy. An insult to the tournament (McCallie put on a great tournament, thanks coach) and a slap at the Eagles (intended or not). That teaches the kids a whole lot doesn't it !

i hope independence has another shot at the admirals this weekend at the riverdale tournament.. I think that when the admirals lost on saturday it was good for the team... no they are scary good out there.. watch out independence

Guess it's a good thing Overton wasn't in that tournament.......