Crow hopping problem!

fullcount32

It always offers an advantage but rarely happens. This is harder to call than crow hopping because most of the time it is so close to the ground.

That's funny, I see it ALL the time in high school, but then again, I have not read my rule book lately.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It always offers an advantage but rarely happens. This is harder to call than crow hopping because most of the time it is so close to the ground.

You "is an ump cuz i rarely see an ump who ever thinks da are wrong. And da worse one's are da one's dat look down their noses at folk dat disagree wit them. I know's you ain't like dat.

So, if I is thinkin right and I may not be, re-planting is illegal. Is dat correct?

And, crow hopping is re-planting. Is dat right cuz honestly I do not know da answer?

If it aint', I am sure you will let us folk dat know nothin at all about da game how it works cuz we just ain't smart enough to have da intellect dat you do to hold such an important position in life. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

You "is an ump cuz i rarely see an ump who ever thinks da are wrong. And da worse one's are da one's dat look down their noses at folk dat disagree wit them. I know's you ain't like dat.

So, if I is thinkin right and I may not be, re-planting is illegal. Is dat correct?

And, crow hopping is re-planting. Is dat right cuz honestly I do not know da answer?

If it aint', I am sure you will let us folk dat know nothin at all about da game how it works cuz we just ain't smart enough to have da intellect dat you do to hold such an important position in life. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Re-planting is re-planting, crow-hopping is basically leaping. Both are illegal and both are rarely called. Most umpires will let it go, especially if there is a hole in front of the rubber, which I think is a cop out. If your drag foot does not stay in contact with the ground.......it is illegal. Real simple....

Re-planting is re-planting, crow-hopping is basically leaping. Both are illegal and both are rarely called. Most umpires will let it go, especially if there is a hole in front of the rubber, which I think is a cop out. If your drag foot does not stay in contact with the ground.......it is illegal. Real simple....

Thanks for dat. Now, when I think of crow hoppin I think of what an outfielder does before she throws that long throw home. It is a hop...then a "re-plant of da back foot" and a push off from the new position. As for "leaping" I think of it as one of dem continuous motions where da back foot drags forward instead of re-setting closer to da plate. Again, kinda like crow hoppin.

So, I has thought dat da key to a legal pitch is dat da back foot stays in da dirt as it pulls forward and there is no re-setting closer to da plate and pushing off from there.

Finally, is da key that the foot stays in tha dirt and it is a continuous motion forward?

You is smart on dis kinda stuff I know. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

That's funny, I see it ALL the time in high school, but then again, I have not read my rule book lately.

I am sure that you do not even know the real meaning of leaping and I KNOW that you would not know 1/10th of the rules that we have to know. I could ask you 1 flex/dp question and you would be finished. By the way, DP is Designated Player.

Crow hopping and re planting are the same thing. Most people are confused by that. Yes, we are important. Lincoln County could not play a game last week because none of us were there. Bet you missed us then. Noone was assigned the game. And as for your last comment. Get out there and do it if you think you can.

I am sure that you do not even know the real meaning of leaping and I KNOW that you would not know 1/10th of the rules that we have to know. I could ask you 1 flex/dp question and you would be finished. By the way, DP is Designated Player.

Fire away, I always like a good test. I will agree that, by rule, re-plant and crow hop are the same, but I always considered a step forward "replanting" and a "hop" forward "crow hopping" or "leaping" (both feet off of the ground). Makes no difference, they are hardly ever called in high school.

Still waiting for your question...........................but I hate to break the news to you, there are some coaches out there who know the rules just as well as the umpires.

You might begin with teaching some of your coworkers the rule. Such as the one earlier this year that informed me that both teams had to agree to use the DP/Flex rule or neither could use it.

I am sure that you know your job and take a great deal of pride in doing it right. Which is the case for the great majority of TSSAA umpires.

However there are SOME out there who have no business being out there. They either don't know the rules, have already decided which ones are important, or don't care. Then there are those who are so grossly out of condition they cannot even get to the proper angles to make the calls.

These few are a MINORITY, but they don't need to be out there. Its just like any other occupation there are some that need to retire or find a new way to supplement their income.

I know it, you know it and everyone on this board knows it.

You might begin with teaching some of your coworkers the rule. Such as the one earlier this year that informed me that both teams had to agree to use the DP/Flex rule or neither could use it.

I am sure that you know your job and take a great deal of pride in doing it right. Which is the case for the great majority of TSSAA umpires.

However there are SOME out there who have no business being out there. They either don't know the rules, have already decided which ones are important, or don't care. Then there are those who are so grossly out of condition they cannot even get to the proper angles to make the calls.

These few are a MINORITY, but they don't need to be out there. Its just like any other occupation there are some that need to retire or find a new way to supplement their income.

I know it, you know it and everyone on this board knows it.

As in any profession, there are good and bad and some that fall in t.he middle. The umpre that made the statement you said they made needs some observing. The Flex/DP issue is not difficult.

There are some umpires that should not be out there, but at least they have the drive to try. And all most people want to do, is sit back and critisize. Get out there an try to do that job.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> Give a qualified pitching instructor a call and ask them, thats my best solution. e-mail me and i'll give you his # barry.woods1@us.army.mil

WHO WOULD THAT BE? NEVER KNEW OF ANY IN ERWIN BUT MR. LANE AND HE CAME FROM K. TOWN. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

As in any profession, there are good and bad and some that fall in t.he middle. The umpre that made the statement you said they made needs some observing. The Flex/DP issue is not difficult.

There are some umpires that should not be out there, but at least they have the drive to try. And all most people want to do, is sit back and critisize. Get out there an try to do that job.

I am glad you agree with me. Like I said it is a small minority.However when you are coaching a team and have someone tell you something like this in the pregame coach's meeting it tends to give you a negative outlook on things. This however is not the weirdest thing I have heard, not even this year. It is just the example that came up.

As for getting out and doing it myself, I have. I have spent umpired seventy plus games over the last three or four years (only on the Little League Level admittedly). The only pay that comes with that job is a free drink and a left over hotdog. Trust me I know about being on the other side of the fence and hearing the comments and complaining. The fear of getting a rules interpretation wrong or simply appearing to be a fool is motivation enough to make me study the rules.

If someone is gonna be called a professional then they should guard their profession and require others in their field to meet the its standards. From the coach's side it is frustrating to know there is practically no recourse for reporting or getting the situation to improve.