Rules

jetsplayer

Can somebody please tell me the rule for how many trips a coach make to the mound before the pitcher has to be taken out? My son has played baseball (travel ball, fall ball and high school ball) since he was 7 and always thought you could make as many trips as you wanted in the game but on your second trip in the same inning had he had to be taken out...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can somebody please tell me the rule for how many trips a coach make to the mound before the pitcher has to be taken out? My son has played baseball (travel ball, fall ball and high school ball) since he was 7 and always thought you could make as many trips as you wanted in the game but on your second trip in the same inning had he had to be taken out...

Unless I'm mistaken you get four visits total in High School, but the pitcher must be removed on the fourth visit. All four can occur in the same inning.

you have 3 visits PER GAME on the 4th visit the pitcher must come out...if you change pitchers it doesnt ocunt as a visit

WOW Shows you how much I know....For years always thought as many trips as you wanted but on second trip in the same inning he had to be pulled out...Thanks

Correct.

All starters have reenty privileges one time. Subs have no reentry privileges.

As far as visits to the mound, riverdaleman nailed it. And remember, like he said, if you change pitchers, it's not a visit.

We played Saturday and it was the first time that I heard you had 4 visits to the mound...several parents on our team thought that until the umpire told us...

Correct.

All starters have reenty privileges one time. Subs have no reentry privileges.

As far as visits to the mound, riverdaleman nailed it. And remember, like he said, if you change pitchers, it's not a visit.

I love to tell the story from years ago about a grand-mother yelling at an umpire for not calling a runner out at third on a stolen base even though it was ball four to the batter and there were runners at first and second....

The other day I was at a game and a parent asked an umpire there watching the game in his uniform why his son was not allowed to stay at third because he stole it before the batter fouled off the pitch....

WOW Shows you how much I know....For years always thought as many trips as you wanted but on second trip in the same inning he had to be pulled out...Thanks

Different set of rules. In HS, they use Fed rules, in travel ball, most use MLB rules, with that particular organization's bylaws.

I love to tell the story from years ago about a grand-mother yelling at an umpire for not calling a runner out at third on a stolen base even though it was ball four to the batter and there were runners at first and second....

The other day I was at a game and a parent asked an umpire there watching the game in his uniform why his son was not allowed to stay at third because he stole it before the batter fouled off the pitch....

That may be the single worst thing I've heard. You've got to be kidding. I've had some people say stupid things to show they don't have a clue about the rules but that takes the cake!