Baylor vs GPS

FutbalFan

GPS was playing a tough physical defensive game and marking Baylor's top play makers, Thomas and Brackett. The GPS defender had been given a yellow card for taking down Bracket in regulation play. On this play, Brackett, neck and neck with the defender, dribbled through to a one on one with Busby in the box. She was about to strike the ball but was taken down with a body slam from behind. I'm not sure I could call it intentional....just looked like the GPS defender slammed into her from behind as the Baylor forward stopped her run to take the shot. In any case, she hit the player, from behind, and no ball. I happened to be in direct line with the action and there was no disagreement on the call from anyone (parents from both schools) who saw it from this angle. I was suprised to see the TFP article questioning it but I guess it could have looked different from the far end of the field watching from behind or if wearing blue.

No dog in this particular fight, but I really enjoyed this game the most of the 3 I watched yesterday. This was a battle between 2 different coaching styles. One team had a ton of talent and a singular game plan - get the ball to #22. The other team had less offensive talent but seemed to have a more flexible game plan that boxed in #22 and forced its opponent to go off-book.

I would have to disagree with eastsoccer on this one. In my opinion this call came out of left field from the official. The slide was not late and the ball completely changed direction indicating good ball contact from the defender. The center official had not called foul on contact incidental to a ball play elsewhere in the game. I too was in line with the play and would not have called it.

As the game wore on, the tide seemed to turn and frustration was evident on the Baylor side - players and fans alike at the inability to finish. The GPS side on the other hand, seemed to get more confident as the time ticked on. I am not sure that I would pick a different result to the game as GPS did not seem to have a clear striker, however, I would love to have seen who could have truly played to a finish in this game.

The reason I asked this question is I did have a dog in the fight. I know the defender did kick get the ball and it was not intentional to take down Brackett. I think only slow motion replay would tell the story. Yes, the GPS player got the ball as BU says, but Eastsoccer saw the angle of the hit which I wouldn't say was from behind completely but was not right next to her either. Did she go through her to get to the ball ????? I don't think anyone can say for sure without film and even then it might not be easy to call. I think the foul was called partly due to the previous takedowns of Baylor players near the box. I don't like a game determined by a PK as much as anyone else, but if you live on the edge with repeated fouls (and yellow card) then eventually you risk getting burned by it.

It was a great game with each team doing what they could to move on. And to the GPS defender who had the yellow card and PK foul, she showed sportmanship each time by addressing Brackett after the foul, and Brackett did the same when she fouled her. It was a case of each player giving it her all.

From this run of comments, it looks like there were several D2AA games with some controversy.

The Briacrest/St Agnes game was well played game by both sides, however, many folks watching the game would consider the St Agnes goal to have been an offsides goal (even non Briarcrest parents). Briarcrest had two take downs in the box by St Agnes defenders...but no call. However, it is what the ref thinks that counts and stands. :thumb:

I would like to think that they do have the better angle than the fans do....and we could debate all day, but the results do not change...St Agnes won by the one goal. Overall, they played the stronger offensive game over Briarcrest as we were playing more of a defensive game on Saturday. St Agnes is a very good team with lots of skill and speed who will represent the West well this weekend.

With that said, I wish them the best of luck in Chattanooga and they should do well this weekend. Do I wish that it was Briarcrest? Of course! But there was no bad press in the paper, and to that end, I applaud the Briarcrest parents and coaches.