Baylor vs St Agnes in State Finals

chasanooga

In a battle of unbeatens Baylor and St Agnes will square off Friday @ GPS for a 2:30 matchup. Both teams have yet to post a loss and todays game could be one of the classic matchups in recent memory. I have seen Baylor play and as always they will be very methodical in their style of play. St Agnes by all accounts in clicking on all cylinders. I see this as a game that could see OT and possibly PKs. It should be a dandy!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be a great game. Baylor's D will be tested by St Agnes' outside speed. St Agnes center D will be tested by #22. In the end, I think the midfield will determine the outcome. Who can control possession better and create more chances? Too bad this game couldn't be on Saturday with two fully rested teams. I think that Baylor's 7pm game followed by 2:30 final will be tougher to recover from but it's not ideal for either team.

At least I think everyone will get their $10 worth .... ouch :angry:

St Agnes 1 Baylor 0

St Agnes had full control throghout and it could have been much worse. Teams like St Agnes seem to get better throughout the year while Baylor has difficulty finishing off a season for the third straight year.

First I would like to say congratulations to St Agnes...they are a fantastic team. As to your comments about Baylor you are wrong. Baylor was supposed to be in a somewhat rebuilding year and overachieved. With just two seniors and a team largely made up of sophomores...Baylor had a fantastic year. After winning four state championships in a row Baylor has not won the title again...yet. But saying that a 17-1-1 Baylor team cannot finish is really unfair to a young team that achieved more than anticipated this year. They will be back. Again congrats to St Agnes...but I think your comments about Baylor were off base.

St Agnes 1 Baylor 0

St Agnes had full control throghout and it could have been much worse. Teams like St Agnes seem to get better throughout the year while Baylor has difficulty finishing off a season for the third straight year.

First I would like to say congratulations to St Agnes...they are a fantastic team. As to your comments about Baylor you are wrong. Baylor was supposed to be in a somewhat rebuilding year and overachieved. With just two seniors and a team largely made up of sophomores...Baylor had a fantastic year. After winning four state championships in a row Baylor has not won the title again...yet. But saying that a 17-1-1 Baylor team cannot finish is really unfair to a young team that achieved more than anticipated this year. They will be back. Again congrats to St Agnes...but I think your comments about Baylor were off base.

No disrespect meant to the Baylor girls at all. You are correct, they are young and all heart and never quit. Just don't like seeing the girls take the blame in the papers with excuses like "tired legs" and "they didn't play their best" during playoff time. It takes more than just the girls on field doing their part to win it all. St Agnes did a great job and had a game plan that won. Enough said.

FutbalFan wrote:No disrespect meant to the Baylor girls at all. You are correct, they are young and all heart and never quit. Just don't like seeing the girls take the blame in the papers with excuses like "tired legs" and "they didn't play their best" during playoff time. It takes more than just the girls on field doing their part to win it all. St Agnes did a great job and had a game plan that won. Enough said.

I agree with FutbalFan - the excuse about "tire legs" is TIRED. I have followed a number of these players through their school and club seasons. the majority if not all of the Baylor team play club soccer. Club requires them to play tournaments where they play one game a day and in many cases 2 games a day. In most cases the competition level in these games are at an even higher level than their school games. These girls are well conditioned and used to playing several games in a weekend.

Its seems to me that in each final I witnessed this year, the team with the better game plan and on-field adjustments came away with the win.

I agree with FutbalFan - the excuse about "tire legs" is TIRED. I have followed a number of these players through their school and club seasons. the majority if not all of the Baylor team play club soccer. Club requires them to play tournaments where they play one game a day and in many cases 2 games a day. In most cases the competition level in these games are at an even higher level than their school games. These girls are well conditioned and used to playing several games in a weekend.

Its seems to me that in each final I witnessed this year, the team with the better game plan and on-field adjustments came away with the win.

Well said. I wish I was this clear and articulate in my message

Still it would not hurt anyone or anything that prior to the final game, a day of rest in between, then there would be no question about two fresh teams playing at their best. :evil:

PS Playing club soccer does not prevent players from being tired. The difference between state and club is mental pressure. In club, you lose a match, so what, there are more coming, at state you are playing for the state championship and thats pressure, and thus you could tire more easily. St Agnes won, Baylor lost, but what harm could a title match played a day later so both teams are well rested do. This applies to other sports at tournament time, you had volleyball teams playing past midnight and then being beaten in the tournament final the next day. I thought a tournament should be about who is the most skilled at any particular sport, not who have the most endurance. There is a TV show for that. :evil:

(Don't we have this same conversation ever year)

The club players are accustomed to playing two matches a day, 4, even 5 games in weekend. No club players are not. Is it a good idea to play 2 games a day? No.

Yes, it could be better if they rested a day. Shoot, it would be better if they played on separate weekends. No perfect world here, they are athletes but students first. Can't keep them out of school for two weeks. However, it seems logical that the next day was Saturday, not quite sure was up with that.