EAST VS. WEST

Bean0007

1-0 at the half.

2-0, then 2-1. Then East scored two to end the game at 4-1

East coach was Eric Shelton (Siegel)

West coach was Jan Morrissey (BGA)

Goals for the East: Lee (Oak Ridge), Towry (Siegel), and the last two from McGowen (Riverdale)

Goal for the West: Bussart (Houston)

The thing that struck me about the game was how well the game came together and how well the girls played. Nobody was under a lot of pressure so maybe the girls just played. It was enjoyable to watch.

I know there has been discussion about not all the "best" girls being included, but this was probably a pretty good bunch. I was particularly impressed with the goalkeeping (East: McInturff (Dobyns Bennett), Shipman (Brentwood). West: Hooper (CPA), Mangrum (Franklin). If these weren't the best goalkeepers in the senior class, they must be pretty close.

Some keys to the game, as I saw it. The East seemed stronger in the mid field with Jochmann (Oak Ridge) and Jones (Dobyns Bennett) and controlled things there. In fact, in my view Jones was the player of the game. Towry played with a lot of energy, and McGowen showed good aggressiveness and finishing with her two well placed goals.

Taylor Cravanas (Bearden) was a rock in the back for the East. She turned away several dangerous West challenges.

For the West, Hunter (BGA), Bussart (Houston), Zigelsky (Franklin) kind of stood out for me.

I agree with the observation on the goal keeping. It was very good play. All goals scored were good shots--nothing cheap. I believe that Shipman (Brentwood) is committed to Samford and Mangrum (Franklin) is committed to UTC. Not sure about the other 2. The game was enjoyable to watch as it was good soccer with some outstanding shot making on the offensive end, particularily from the EAST.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK 'dog, I'm going to take you by the leash and walk you through this. Most Seniors are '92 club girls. The All-Star team was composed of Seniors. The '92 girls from the East have won as mentioned the state D-1 titles. Just sayin' that if we are trying to look for a 'reason' as was posted by soccermom, this was as good as any. And yes, HS is composed of multiple age groups which would tend to favor West teams due to the wins posted at the D1 state level this past year.

Maybe you've got the leash too tight..... :roflol: but your theory does not hold water. The East (Chattanooga) had one club for all the '92 girls to play for and Nashville had two, now one, I think. The West (Shelby county) had 3 and the talent pool was spread across three organizations in the past. That has changed and you can mark your calender that you heard it today, the Lobos will win several state championships next June. Every talented player within 75 miles of Memphis has moved to the Lobos. The only girls not making the move did not make the team, were not going to play in college, so quit club soccer, or had other obligations that prevented they from moving. I do not work for the Lobos or do their publicity, but I do think highly of the coaches, the management and the organization in general. There were 23 Lobo players on the three State Championship teams out of 66 players and 46 Lobo players participated on teams that played in Chattanooga. Since only 8 girls of the 38 playing in the Senior All Star game were from the West, I don't think the West was truly represented regardless of what the '92's have accomplished in the past. The true fact is that 20 % of team was from the West and 80% was from the East/Middle. Half of the Middle had to play for the West and half for the East, but the East did have 34 % of their own players, so the strongest group represented was the East. WOW!!!! :popcorneater:

Lets all take a step back and take advantage of the 800 lb. Gorilla in the room. Now would be a great time to petition each of your coaches to join this organization such that we can gain some better representation by all (most) schools. Perhaps we can get this information out a lot earlier next year and generate an improved event. We could have a North, South, East & West 3 Game Tourney. You guys from Nashville are unfortunately going to be limited to representing ONE location ( :popcorneater: ).

Lets all take a step back and take advantage of the 800 lb. Gorilla in the room. Now would be a great time to petition each of your coaches to join this organization such that we can gain some better representation by all (most) schools. Perhaps we can get this information out a lot earlier next year and generate an improved event. We could have a North, South, East & West 3 Game Tourney. You guys from Nashville are unfortunately going to be limited to representing ONE location ( :popcorneater: ).

Who are you calling an 800lb gorilla??? :roflol:

OK 'dog, I'm going to take you by the leash and walk you through this. Most Seniors are '92 club girls. The All-Star team was composed of Seniors. The '92 girls from the East have won as mentioned the state D-1 titles. Just sayin' that if we are trying to look for a 'reason' as was posted by soccermom, this was as good as any. And yes, HS is composed of multiple age groups which would tend to favor West teams due to the wins posted at the D1 state level this past year.

Maybe you've got the leash too tight..... :thumb: but your theory does not hold water. The East (Chattanooga) had one club for all the '92 girls to play for and Nashville had two, now one, I think. The West (Shelby county) had 3 and the talent pool was spread across three organizations in the past. That has changed and you can mark your calender that you heard it today, the Lobos will win several state championships next June. Every talented player within 75 miles of Memphis has moved to the Lobos. The only girls not making the move did not make the team, were not going to play in college, so quit club soccer, or had other obligations that prevented they from moving. I do not work for the Lobos or do their publicity, but I do think highly of the coaches, the management and the organization in general. There were 23 Lobo players on the three State Championship teams out of 66 players and 46 Lobo players participated on teams that played in Chattanooga. Since only 8 girls of the 38 playing in the Senior All Star game were from the West, I don't think the West was truly represented regardless of what the '92's have accomplished in the past. The true fact is that 20 % of team was from the West and 80% was from the East/Middle. Half of the Middle had to play for the West and half for the East, but the East did have 34 % of their own players, so the strongest group represented was the East. WOW!!!! :popcorneater:

Yeah, but you can only put 11 on the field at one time. You left Knoxville completely out of your equation, as well as the All-Star game. Don't jump off the porch with your leash still connected :roflol:

I was trying not weight the scales even more in the East's favor. Add in Knoxville and the West % goes to less than zero. I teach math you know and Canes thinks I'm h2ogorilla. :popcorneater:

Seriously, we should politic for a real set of games next year. It is a great concept. Not trying to dis it.

Unfortunately, we are running out of material fast for this season.