Bands playing during game action...

EarlVolFan

It is not only poor sportmanship but also bush league. It shows "NO" class on the part of the band director and if they won't stop doing it, they should not be allowed to play at all.

You sould come to Blackman!

They play and sing during 100% of the game it is so BADDDDDDDDD.

And besides most fruity band directors don't even know the game well enough to know the difference between offense and defense.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is simply atmosphere. If you play a team from Rutherford Co, you can expect to have that.... nothing malicious just the way it goes around here. At Blackman they even have the "karaoke girl" that sings during a good part of the game. Smyrna's band plays constantly and Riverdale's plays quite a bit as well if I remember correctly. I have never seen a band big enough to make enough noise to cause a distraction on the field. There is a rule that says if an opposing team is having trouble communicating they can have the official quiet them.....if it continues, I think a flag can be thrown, but not without a warning. Personnally, I enjoy it. It feels more like a football game when the bands are playing and supporting their team instead of just striking up the fight song after a score.

No, it is not simply atmosphere. It just seems to be some bands' custom to play while the other team is on offense - whether it is against MHS or any other team. I've seen enough of them to know that it is no coincidence that they play during the opponent's offense but remain quiet while their team has the ball. There has to be some intent there. I attend to watch a FB game - not a concert. They can, and should, play during timeouts, changes of possession, HT, and any other stoppage of play (except injuries). The bands should get a clue - we are not at the game to hear them during play, regardless of who is on offense. And, yes I was in the band in HS. We played during play stoppages only.

If it is that big of a distraction the QB would simply go the the White hat official and if it is legit, he will tell the coach to have them quiet down. It has happened before, but very rarely because players understand that it goes on and both bands have the opportunity.

Fans should get a clue - bands aren't at the game to make the opposing team or their fans happy (except for halftime)....they are there to support their football team.

good post!

This thing about the band playing when the visiting team has the ball, believe it or not, starts in middle school in rutherford county.Smyrna middle school's band is the world' worst at doing this.I figured out why they do this, after we beat them two years in a row.The football team needed all the help it could get.

Earl,I will agree that the bands should play between downs and not during the snap count.It's not the kids fault for playing,I'll put that on the band directors.It's one thing to play when the other team has the ball,but the DB director has cranked them up at some tough times for DB's own offense over the years.I seen them crank up when DB had the ball first and goal on the one,and DB fumbled it on that play.The band is great and any director should take a football 101 before he can lead a band.

One of the best parts of high school football is the fan and band interaction. When they have the ball in high pressure situations we usually play louder to try and cause some chaos, I don't think middle and east teams are use to this because their bands aren't as voluminous. After halftime at the brentwood game the refs told us we couldn't play when they had the ball because their coach was whining which was bull, you mine as well tell the fans to shutup too and play like its a golf match.

One of the best parts of high school football is the fan and band interaction. When they have the ball in high pressure situations we usually play louder to try and cause some chaos, I don't think middle and east teams are use to this because their bands aren't as voluminous. After halftime at the brentwood game the refs told us we couldn't play when they had the ball because their coach was whining which was bull, you mine as well tell the fans to shutup too and play like its a golf match.

so your apart of the band and think its apart of football that the band plays constantly...yea your not biased...and the brentwood coach was right...if it was aloud then college's would play the whole game...and pro teams would get bands to play the whole game...

Maybe it's just me, but I have noticed this year at home games that a few of Maryville's opponent's bands have been playing during the time we were running plays on offense -

Oak Ridge's band played through the entire first through third quarters, finally stopping when Maryville had the game in hand..

I didn't notice this again until we played Dobyns-Bennett in the first round of the playoffs. Their band played very loudly ONLY we we had the ball. In fact, they didn't even play during halftime. Their only apparent reason for being there, was to try to disrupt our offense. That didn't exactly workout for them!

Then the same thing occured during the Riverdale game last Friday - any time our offense was near the band's side of the field, their band played as loudly as they could while we were running plays. It wasn't a very effective strategy for them either...

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think this is very poor sportmanship...you don't see bands doing this at the college and pro levels. I hate trying to pass rules to solve every problem, but maybe it's time the TSSAA regulates this before it gets out of hand....

The Dobyns-Bennett band was at the game to support their team in every way they could. No different than most any other HS band. They are the team's #1 fan and they intend to be the loudest. They have no impact on good teams - like Maryville. It's great to see a battle of the bands at games like Oak Ridge vs. Dobyns-Bennett. This is just a normal part of the fun of football Friday nights.

You'll have to forgive BatmanDB. The team fumbled the ball at the goal line because they couldn't hold onto it. Somewhat of a problem for us this year. He seems to like to blame the team's problems on others rather than their coaches where it belongs. That is the way of the world today isn't it Batman? Resistance if futile. You have been assimilated.

They didn't play at half time? That would probably be because it was a pep band. Only about 1 3rd of them were there. They couldn't do their halftime show w/o the whole band. They are normally 3 times louder.

Maybe it's just me, but I have noticed this year at home games that a few of Maryville's opponent's bands have been playing during the time we were running plays on offense -

Oak Ridge's band played through the entire first through third quarters, finally stopping when Maryville had the game in hand..

I didn't notice this again until we played Dobyns-Bennett in the first round of the playoffs. Their band played very loudly ONLY we we had the ball. In fact, they didn't even play during halftime. Their only apparent reason for being there, was to try to disrupt our offense. That didn't exactly workout for them!

Then the same thing occured during the Riverdale game last Friday - any time our offense was near the band's side of the field, their band played as loudly as they could while we were running plays. It wasn't a very effective strategy for them either...

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think this is very poor sportmanship...you don't see bands doing this at the college and pro levels. I hate trying to pass rules to solve every problem, but maybe it's time the TSSAA regulates this before it gets out of hand....

The Dobyns-Bennett band was at the game to support their team in every way they could. No different than most any other HS band. They are the team's #1 fan and they intend to be the loudest. They have no impact on good teams - like Maryville. It's great to see a battle of the bands at games like Oak Ridge vs. Dobyns-Bennett. This is just a normal part of the fun of football Friday nights.

You'll have to forgive BatmanDB. The team fumbled the ball at the goal line because they couldn't hold onto it. Somewhat of a problem for us this year. He seems to like to blame the team's problems on others rather than their coaches where it belongs. That is the way of the world today isn't it Batman? Resistance if futile. You have been assimilated.

They didn't play at half time? That would probably be because it was a pep band. Only about 1 3rd of them were there. They couldn't do their halftime show w/o the whole band. They are normally 3 times louder.

It was in 2005 at South.We have the best band in the state but none should play when either offense is at the line.Yes,other schools do it as well.

The Dobyns-Bennett band was at the game to support their team in every way they could. No different than most any other HS band. They are the team's #1 fan and they intend to be the loudest.

Why don't you just give them all airhorns then? Attitudes like yours is why it's time for the TSSAA to pass the same rule that the NCAA and the NFL has - no noise during game play by 'game participants' which includes each schools bands.

If you want to have a 'battle of the bands' do it at halftime!

The Dobyns-Bennett band was at the game to support their team in every way they could. No different than most any other HS band. They are the team's #1 fan and they intend to be the loudest.

Why don't you just give them all airhorns then? Attitudes like yours is why it's time for the TSSAA to pass the same rule that the NCAA and the NFL has - no noise during game play by 'game partipants' which includes each schools bands.

If you want to have a 'battle of the bands' do it at halftime!

agreed.

so your apart of the band and think its apart of football that the band plays constantly...yea your not biased...and the brentwood coach was right...if it was aloud then college's would play the whole game...and pro teams would get bands to play the whole game...

If his team was winning he wouldn't of said anything, its always the losers who whine

If his team was winning he wouldn't of said anything, its always the losers who whine

go toot your horn somewhere. :thumb:

and...if i was playing defense and my schools band was playing i would prob be mad, why? its unsportmanlike...its just as unsportmanlike as the d lineman to saying "hut, hut" under his breath to try and get the o lineman to jump...why don't we just give all fans whistles to blow throughout the game while we're at it..