Whitestation vs. Melrose... Tuesday Feb 2nd, who ya got?

nebuntyn

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TraderB, this is classic you! I can clearly remember this same stuff happening in a game and you clearly blamed it on the coach! lol!! I guess we pick in choose what coaches we won't to blame! lol!!!

Is it the coaches fault naw because Melrose may shoot more freethrows then any other team in the city at practice and during the school day. We have blamed this same situation on coaches before tho!

Ok guys being a Melrose Alum and fan for life, im totally shocked. It is simple Whitestation Did not beat Melrose they beat them self. With 2:10 left in the game Melrose was up 12. They missed 12 FTs within 2 minutes. Rucker prob should have been in for defense only but u cant blame him when Parks and Chris Jones missed 4 in a row and they suppose to be the good shooters. Never should have had Nate in there late. Why WS big men was giving them no problem at all. The only thing I have a Prob with JJ is for some reason he always take the foot off the Gas. White Station had no answer for Melrose. In the First half when they was going to nate Neither big man could stop him. Can someone tell me why these 21st century coaches play outside in instead of inside out? They go to him twice in the second half. He call too many darn plays. I will run one play all night if its working. Nino was still in the game in the first half with 3 fouls how do u not go right at him. Congrats to White Station for winning but Melrose Choked and gave it to them. If u cant count on Jones and Parks to make FTs, who can u trust? Choked Choked Choked. Trader u right Melrose is 20 points better than WS I see how Ridgeway beat them as bad as they do. But Henning is an experienced coach he not going to go in cruise control. U have to play 32 minutes not 30.

Ok guys being a Melrose Alum and fan for life, im totally shocked. It is simple Whitestation Did not beat Melrose they beat them self. With 2:10 left in the game Melrose was up 12. They missed 12 FTs within 2 minutes. Rucker prob should have been in for defense only but u cant blame him when Parks and Chris Jones missed 4 in a row and they suppose to be the good shooters. Never should have had Nate in there late. Why WS big men was giving them no problem at all. The only thing I have a Prob with JJ is for some reason he always take the foot off the Gas. White Station had no answer for Melrose. In the First half when they was going to nate Neither big man could stop him. Can someone tell me why these 21st century coaches play outside in instead of inside out? They go to him twice in the second half. He call too many darn plays. I will run one play all night if its working. Nino was still in the game in the first half with 3 fouls how do u not go right at him. Congrats to White Station for winning but Melrose Choked and gave it to them. If u cant count on Jones and Parks to make FTs, who can u trust? Choked Choked Choked. Trader u right Melrose is 20 points better than WS I see how Ridgeway beat them as bad as they do. But Henning is an experienced coach he not going to go in cruise control. U have to play 32 minutes not 30.

quote from knox

"He call too many darn plays" lol!! lol!!! lol!! lol!! I been saying that for two years now!!! lol!! :hungry:

Melrose has the most talent by far, but I am still not convinced that they have the best team, they have so many flaws. You can't practice under pressure free throw shooting, that's strictly mental. I stated in a previous post that Whitestation would win and why....and that happened.

Everyone keeps saying Melrose beat themselves, and that may be true, but nobody is giving Whitestation credit, they have a great team as well and they showed that last night. Great teams close out games. Here are the flaws that I continue to see in Melrose. 1.) Nate Rucker is very physical, but sometimes to physical, if they meet a team that likes to take offensive fouls, his game will be limited.

2.) Chris Jones is a top notch player, but takes a lot of bad shots and dribbles to much sometimes.

3.) And last but not least Why would you not post Adonis Thomas, he is a freak athlete, who would stop him. Ridgeway would also beat Melrose. I expect to see Whitestation in the boro....Joe Jackson has that one intangible you cant teach, and that's the will to compete. Adonis Thomas needs to be more of a focal point in the Melrose offense.

TraderB, this is classic you! I can clearly remember this same stuff happening in a game and you clearly blamed it on the coach! lol!! I guess we pick in choose what coaches we won't to blame! lol!!!

Is it the coaches fault naw because Melrose may shoot more freethrows then any other team in the city at practice and during the school day. We have blamed this same situation on coaches before tho!

Legend,

Please quote my words, to which you refer, including the context of which those comments were issued.

It's darn near impossible for me to defend something to which I have no clue and/or can't remember. I just know that I ALWAYS call things like I see them--without bias, and that I have made a TON of comments on this CoachT board. Lord knows that I could not remember 1/4 of the comments that I've made, if my life depended on it!!

So, whatever I may have said in the past about a Coach, game or anything else....trust me, it was my unbiased interpretation of the situation that developed at the time.

-------------------------------------------

As for last night's game, I stand firm in my earlier comments. They are an acutely accurate depiction of last night's situation--that which actually transpired: Melrose's coach (JJ) did not blow his team's chance @ victory vs White Station. Melrose's PLAYERS must bear 100% responsibility!

Keep in mind, I never said that Melrose's coach did (in my estimation) an outstanding job last night. In fact, I still do not think that he is a good with in-game tactics. Nontheless, based on the way last night's game played out, Coach JJ's coaching moves/lack thereof did not cause Melrose to lose to White Station. It's neither fair nor accurate to suggest otherwise, IMO.

As KnoxBball pointed out earlier (and I concur, btw), there are a number of tactical things that Coach JJ failed to implement......I'll even add one more to the mix: One-fourth way thru the 3rd Qtr, WS went with a four-guard (small) lineup. They stayed in it for the remainder of the 3rd Qtr! Yet, Coach JJ failed to recognize and take advantage of it--by pounding the ball inside!

Now, had Coach JJ made some/all of the OBVIOUS tactical moves, then Melrose likely would have been ahead (easily) by 18 to 20 points down the stretch! FT shooting would have been less of an issue... Nevertheless, Melrose still had a comfortable lead. All the players had to do was make just ONE-HALF of their FTs, down the stretch.....just make 1/2 of them-- that would have sealed the victory!

At the end of the day, Melrose's PLAYERS just choked at the FT line last night, and lost their poise down the stretch. That (not Coach JJ's less-than-perfect tactics) led DIRECTLY to their loss to White Station. There is just no other way to put it, honestly. That is factually and precisely what happened.

Haha Classic Trader ....I ended up working late due to being out for the last couple of days, and I knew If I couldn't make it there by 5:45 I wasn't going to try it myself....Good to hear somebody you know got in and saw a classic game...

You're a smart fella', Terop....

You missed a great game, though. Maybe you'll get to catch their rematch, Saturday 2-13-09 @ White Station. As you know, White Station's gym probably holds twice as many (if not 3X) as does Melrose's gym. That should make it a tad-bit easier for most folks to get in...

Classic game......I suppose that it's often good to know "somebody," right? :roflol:

Don't work too hard!

TraderB u are right on point. JJ could have made some tactical Moves like maybe zone late, but this was not a Classic WS won the game. This was a classic for the decade Choke Game. U guys have seen me promote Melrose because i went there, but u got to leave bias at home here and call it like it is. It was not some great game strategy by WS, it was basic BB foul at the end. U have a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter and loose. JJ did a good job. Who would not want a 14 point lead with 3:36 left against WS. I went over Ruckers home last night and his Dad was livid and said the same thing they Gagggggged. U could see the look in WS players face they knew the game was over. Choke choke choke LOL. Lets see how this play out on the 13th which is a sat night so most of the town will be there. They need to rent a bigger facility. But in the end guys Leave JJ out of this one this is %10000 players loss.

Melrose has the most talent by far, but I am still not convinced that they have the best team, they have so many flaws. You can't practice under pressure free throw shooting, that's strictly mental. I stated in a previous post that Whitestation would win and why....and that happened.

Everyone keeps saying Melrose beat themselves, and that may be true, but nobody is giving Whitestation credit, they have a great team as well and they showed that last night. Great teams close out games. Here are the flaws that I continue to see in Melrose. 1.) Nate Rucker is very physical, but sometimes to physical, if they meet a team that likes to take offensive fouls, his game will be limited.

2.) Chris Jones is a top notch player, but takes a lot of bad shots and dribbles to much sometimes.

3.) And last but not least Why would you not post Adonis Thomas, he is a freak athlete, who would stop him. Ridgeway would also beat Melrose. I expect to see Whitestation in the boro....Joe Jackson has that one intangible you cant teach, and that's the will to compete. Adonis Thomas needs to be more of a focal point in the Melrose offense.

I agree 100% with your points #1, 2, 3.... Very accurate observations. :roflol:

--------------------------------------------

One other thing about Rucker-- he plays out-of-control waaaaay too much! He plays like a wild man, too too often, from what I've observed. That then leads to silly fouls, frustration, poor concentration, sub-par performance...the negative cycle then repeats itself.

Rucker seriously needs to work really hard on developing a short shot, a finesse game -- like a jump-hook or something. As it stands-- everytime he gets the ball in the post, he wants to turn, lower his shoulder and bulldoze his way to the rim and dunk! He seems oblivious or unconcerned that a defender might be planted and waiting to draw the charge, which is what usually happens.

As for Melrose being the best team... believe it or not (call me crazy), I STILL think that they have the best team! I don't see any flaws, except maybe stretch-FT shooting (and inexperienced coaching). That one issue could come back to haunt them, in the Regionals.

Ridgeway's lack of post-depth is what concerns me the most, about them. Yet, they somehow keep on winning! Thanks in large part, no doubt to smart tactical, experienced coaching. I would be tempted to bet against Melrose beating Ridgeway, however, but Melrose's quality depth and talent won't let me.... Nevertheless, despite losses to Central and WS, I'm still convinced than Melrose is the better than those two teams.... I'll take Melrose in both rematches.

You're dead-on accurate about Joe Jackson, as well! That trait of his will make WS very difficult to defeat, come Regionals.

I still expect to see Ridgeway vs Melrose for the MIAA City Championship!

Ridgeway and Melrose are also my picks to make it to the 'boro.

I agree 100% with your points #1, 2, 3.... Very accurate observations. :roflol:

--------------------------------------------

One other thing about Rucker-- he plays out-of-control waaaaay too much! He plays like a wild man, too too often, from what I've observed. That then leads to silly fouls, frustration, poor concentration, sub-par performance...the negative cycle then repeats itself.

Rucker seriously needs to work really hard on developing a short shot, a finesse game -- like a jump-hook or something. As it stands-- everytime he gets the ball in the post, he wants to turn, lower his shoulder and bulldoze his way to the rim and dunk! He seems oblivious or unconcerned that a defender might be planted and waiting to draw the charge, which is what usually happens.

As for Melrose being the best team... believe it or not (call me crazy), I STILL think that they have the best team! I don't see any flaws, except maybe stretch-FT shooting (and inexperienced coaching). That one issue could come back to haunt them, in the Regionals.

Ridgeway's lack of post-depth is what concerns me the most, about them. Yet, they somehow keep on winning! Thanks in large part, no doubt to smart tactical, experienced coaching. I would be tempted to bet against Melrose beating Ridgeway, however, but Melrose's depth and talent won't let me.... Nevertheless, despite losses to Central and WS, I'm still convinced than Melrose is the better than those two teams.... I'll take Melrose in both rematches.

You're dead-on accurate about Joe Jackson, as well! That trait of his will make WS very difficult to defeat, come Regionals.

I still expect to see Ridgeway vs Melrose for the MIAA City Championship!

Ridgeway and Melrose are also my picks to make it to the 'boro.

TraderB The Rucker Situation is very unfortunate because there is no one there to develop him. Im told its all JJ that has Nate constantly dogging to the rim. Got to remember he is the 5th option on the floor So u only going to get 5 to 6 shots a night. He has had some big games this year. Out of town he has been outstanding because ref call more college level games. Ricardo Patton said he dont not want any of that agressive play to go away, because on the next level he going to need it. Big man coach will develop and get him in the mentality to change that. He will be a better college player than high school. I think the same of Black also. I thought he was the factor in the first half. Player cant develop until u go to him. Take him off the floor and see how melrose play. Not so good. They got to have him in games and on the floor to win this year. Central game showed that.