High School Coaching

warduck

Ok, the eve of the Softball season is upon us not that the weather is cooperating, another topic for another day. The topic of many discussions is the fact that many high school coaches approach the game differently than tournament coaches, IE. using talent much differently, and batting 10 in critical games. Would like a community response without condemnation of programs.

Ok, the eve of the Softball season is upon us not that the weather is cooperating, another topic for another day. The topic of many discussions is the fact that many high school coaches approach the game differently than tournament coaches, IE. using talent much differently, and batting 10 in critical games. Would like a community response without condemnation of programs.

The only time a 10th batter should be used is when you are coaching a casual rec league team that mandates "X" amount of innings fo everyone on the roster to play. Any truly competitive travel or high school team will NEVER bat 10 unless they are matched up against a much more inferior team and want to give some girls extra BP.

On a side note, too many high school coaches fail to take advantage of the flex and use an inferior bat in their lineup. Unfortunately many schools due to budget or whatever have taken away the Non faculty positions and drafted teacher to coach and serveral don't understand the game yet. I had a Coach we played against last year (I want name the team) who had a DP and flex listed in her batting order and was allowing them both to bat. I called time and told her that in order for the flex to bat, she must remove the DP since they share a position in the batting order. You have to list the flex at the bottom of the order, but if she hits it can only be done in the DP's position. She promptly informed me she was an "ASA" umpire and knew the rules. Funny thing is, I had to pull the rulebook out because the umpires sided with her!

The only time a 10th batter should be used is when you are coaching a casual rec league team that mandates "X" amount of innings fo everyone on the roster to play. Any truly competitive travel or high school team will NEVER bat 10 unless they are matched up against a much more inferior team and want to give some girls extra BP.

I'm having a difficult time following this discussion, even as brief as it is so far. School teams cannot bat 10. They can use 10 players in the lineup by using the DP and Flex as was mentioned, but only 9 can be in the batting order. For some reason, the DP/Flex rules aren't understood by a lot of coaches and even many umpires for that matter. Travel teams playing in ASA championship events (qualifiers, etc.) can only use 9 batters by rule. Other organizations (USFA, NSA, USSSA, etc) allow the use of additional hitters in the batting order, and many teams take advantage of the ability to hit 10 or 11 players in their tournaments, especially in pool play. Additionally, the vast majority of exposure tournaments allow teams to bat their entire roster. In every exposure we've played in over the past 4 years which allows a team to bat their roster, we have done so, and on occasion have used as many as 13 hitters in the lineup. We will often play teams which elect to only hit 9, but we still bat our roster even though it gives the opponents an advantage. And it isn't a case where we were playing "inferior" teams as we played 18U with players 13 to 16 years old during that time period, and it certainly wasn't some sort of casual rec. Not only is NEVER not close to being accurate, we've found that the more serious exposure teams do the same thing we do.

I'm having a difficult time following this discussion, even as brief as it is so far. School teams cannot bat 10. They can use 10 players in the lineup by using the DP and Flex as was mentioned, but only 9 can be in the batting order. For some reason, the DP/Flex rules aren't understood by a lot of coaches and even many umpires for that matter. Travel teams playing in ASA championship events (qualifiers, etc.) can only use 9 batters by rule. Other organizations (USFA, NSA, USSSA, etc) allow the use of additional hitters in the batting order, and many teams take advantage of the ability to hit 10 or 11 players in their tournaments, especially in pool play. Additionally, the vast majority of exposure tournaments allow teams to bat their entire roster. In every exposure we've played in over the past 4 years which allows a team to bat their roster, we have done so, and on occasion have used as many as 13 hitters in the lineup. We will often play teams which elect to only hit 9, but we still bat our roster even though it gives the opponents an advantage. And it isn't a case where we were playing "inferior" teams as we played 18U with players 13 to 16 years old during that time period, and it certainly wasn't some sort of casual rec. Not only is NEVER not close to being accurate, we've found that the more serious exposure teams do the same thing we do.

Okay, allow me to rephrase my statement. You should NEVER bat more than nine in games were your main purpose for playing is WINNING the game. As you admitted, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage by doing so. No matter how many you carry on a roster, you will always have nine top batters and you are taking swings away from them by batting others. Obviously the main intent of your coaches was to "showcase" all the talent on the roster and not just your top nine. As much money as parents funnel into those gold teams, I can understand that, but I stick to my original statement. "Batting only nine gives you the greatest chance for success as a team. "

If the use of the DP/FLEX option is the only problem you have with your high school coach, you should be thankful and maybe give him or her a raise.

If that comment was aimed at me your attempting to stir trouble for the wrong person. I don't even have a kid playing anymore. My reference to the lack of understanding regarding the dp/flex was only general with no particular coach in mind.