East defeats Whitestation 91-86

nebuntyn

Whitestation goes down... Joe Jackson puts up 47

Intriguing occurrences, but not surprising.

Here is the interesting thing: East is now tied with Melrose for 3rd place in Disctict 16!

----------------------------------------------

The 4th-place team appears to be headed for a 2nd-round-District tournament (assuming they win in 1st round) rematch with White Station, who has an opening round bye (I think). The winner then plays for the District Championship; loser plays for 3rd-place.

Don't the top-4 all move onto Regionals?

If so, then it's a pretty safe bet that these 4 teams will represent District 16 @ Regionals, in no particular order. :

-- Melrose

-- Central

-- White Station

-- East

No matter how you slice it, the opening round of the AAA Regionals (involving District-16 teams) is going to be verrrrrrrry tough and interesting!

Yea since WS finished 1st they actually get an automatic bid to the regional with that first round bye....I actually predicted this win for East...With East beating WS and Melrose, the district and especially the Regionals gets real interesting...Somebody won't be making it out of Memphis....Shout out to Joe Jackson finishing his career with 47 points....As a side note Jerikious Bradley had 37. Somebody needs to swoop this kid....A 6'5 warrior

Not surprising at all, White Station only beat East by 2 earlier this year and East is a team that many should look out for. Nick King, Alex Anderson, Jamal Donaldson, Matt Butlet, and Earving Morris are guys you're going to hear about ALOT. As for first round region matchups I think we'll get

Ridgeway vs. East

Southwind vs. Central

Germantown vs. White Station

Overton/Wooddale vs. Melrose

Not surprising at all, White Station only beat East by 2 earlier this year and East is a team that many should look out for. Nick King, Alex Anderson, Jamal Donaldson, Matt Butlet, and Earving Morris are guys you're going to hear about ALOT. As for first round region matchups I think we'll get

Ridgeway vs. East

Southwind vs. Central

Germantown vs. White Station

Overton/Wooddale vs. Melrose

JodyJoe,

1) Do you know who earned the 3rd-place tiebreaker -- Melrose or East?

2) What is your predicted order of tournament finish, for District 16?

East is a dangerous team. White Station still has a lot of talent and will go very far but I wouldn't be surprised if a team knocked them out the tournament. If they didn't have Joe Jackson, they would be an average team.

http://unapproved website.blogspot.com

unapproved website,

I appreciate your comments and offer of additional information. In the future, however, could you please do us CoachT visitors a small favor?

If you are going to post a link about a specific topic (East, White Station and/or Joe Jackson, in this case), could you please make sure that the link takes one DIRECTLY to that SPECIFIC item, not to some general website-- which forces one to have to hunt and search for the relevant story.

That type of non-specific linking is very misleading and quite irritating. It is almost like an annoying "bait and switch." For the record, I scrolled all the way thru that website but could not find anything related to this specific topic, to which you posted that link.

Thank you. :D

I think Melrose would have the tiebreaker. They've beaten East 2 or 3 times. Its hard to figure out how the tourney will play out though. Central has Melrose's number, and White Station's has Central's. East has played White Station tough both matchups. With Nate in the game I think Melrose matches up better especially if Coach Johnson eases up on trying to Outcoach Applewhite. If JJ learns from his earlier mistakes and gets these kids ready and not down them, then I believe Melrose will win the district.

According to the CA, East was up by about 20 points late in the game before White Station stormed back in the 4th quarter. Good job showing up on senior night, Spartans.

I strongly suspect that Joe Jackson was mostly responsible for erasing that 4th quarter defecit.....as usual.

Joe Jackson KNOWS how to put his team on his back and get back into ballgames, 4th quarter! He will attack the basket like a possessed-man and make the layup or get fouled! With the exception of Ridgeway, most team's defenses seem more afraid of fouling him (stopping the clock) than they do about stopping his penetration. Those teams will usually become more and more timid, defensively AND offensively, then look up and discover that their huge lead has quickly evaporated!

Ridgeway's Coach Henning flat-out knows how to close out ballgames!! His team absolutely shuts down all that penetration and late-game heroics by Joe Jackson. Additionally, Ridgeway stays in attack-mode on offense and does not settle for a bunch of jump-shots! That's why Ridgeway has blown out White Station, twice. Those were not flukes, although I expect tonight's round-3 rematch to be closer.

Note: Melrose's Coach would do well to study Coach Henning late-game tactics, on how to close out ballgames.

-----------------------------------------

As for tonight's Ridgeway/White Station (round 3) MIAA City-Championship game, AAA:

Ridgeway by 9 points.

I agree 100 % Trader. I also think Coach Edwards did a good job late against Joe Jackson holding him scoreless, but it was just unfortunate Southwind's frontline fouled out. Anyways Joe Jackson and Todd Mayo are quick to get frustrated when someone gets physical with them. I'm sure Brock and Kris Brewer did the job for Ridgeway and Darius Paige and Montez Phifer for Southwind. Joe is a good shooter, but I believe he's much more of a threat shooting the 3 after he makes a few layups, dunks, and floaters.