I've Got A "Slap-Hitter" Question!

TennesseeSportsNet.Com

If the slapper starts with the bat at her shoulder (like any batter), then brings the bat into the zone and contacts the ball in a swinging motion it should just be a foul ball IMO.... I have seen one or two umps in high school call it a bunt but never in college. If the slapper does as described above it is no different than a check swing with a batter. If the batter check swings a ball and fouls it with 2 strikes it is a foul ball doesn't matter if wrist breaks or not.

If she truly slapped (i.e. she broke her wrist on the swing) then, no, I don't think she should have been called out. However, if she just stuck her bat up there and didn't swing ... like a bunt, then yes, she should have been called out. imho

If the girl was attempting a drag (or running) bunt, the call was correct. If she was attempting to slap, there must be a noticable chopping motion. If in the umpire's opinion the girl made no attempt to slap, but rather was doing a drag bunt, then it is a strikeout. Just because a player is running forward when contact was made does not mean the player was slapping. A drag bunt with two stikes can not be compared to a check swing. A drag bunt and a slap hit are two different things and the rules are very specific about this. Unfortunately, the correct call is seldom made.

Agreed 100%....

If the girl was attempting a drag (or running) bunt, the call was correct. If she was attempting to slap, there must be a noticable chopping motion. If in the umpire's opinion the girl made no attempt to slap, but rather was doing a drag bunt, then it is a strikeout. Just because a player is running forward when contact was made does not mean the player was slapping. A drag bunt with two stikes can not be compared to a check swing. A drag bunt and a slap hit are two different things and the rules are very specific about this. Unfortunately, the correct call is seldom made.