Masingale committs to UT!!!!!!!

cherokeefan

Masingale commits to Tennessee baseball

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

jack Slayton Sports Editor

Some opportunities come around only once and often don't announce themselves in advance so the phrase "Carpe Diem" (seize the day) is a good motto to keep in mind. Just ask Drew Masingale. As a result of being prepared, the rising McMinn County High School pitcher-outfielder has verbally committed to attend the University of Tennessee on a baseball scholarship following his graduation next spring.

"It all happened so quickly and came as a complete surprise - it's still a little unreal," Masingale said. "I've always wanted to play at the Division I level, but it wasn't really on my mind that I would get the chance - I didn't know if it would ever come around so we (his family) were looking at other options." But that all changed in a very short period of time. University of Tennessee coaches got their first look at the hard-throwing right-hander while he was working out at the UT facilities with his summer team, put together by former Tennessee Wesleyan College coach and current San Diego Padre scout Ashley Lawson, who has been working with Masingale for the past 18 months. A few days following the bullpen session, the assistants traveled to Western Kentucky where Masingale was scheduled to pitch. Because NCAA rules bar college coaches from initiating contact with juniors, Masingale wasn't sure what they thought of his performance. "I told Drew that if he wanted to find out what they thought, he would have to call them," said his father, Mike Masingale. "He said he didn't really want to bother them, but he eventually made the call. "Coach (Jason) Beverlin (Vols pitching coach) liked his velocity, his demeanor on the mound and the fact that he also played football - it's the kind of recruit they're looking for," he added. "They put a package (scholarship) together and made the offer. We're tickled to death."

Masingale hesitated at first, but then verbally committed to the Vols while playing with Team Tennessee at the Sunbelt Junior Classic in Oklahoma. The commitment won't become official until the NCAA early signing period opens on Nov. 1." I don't know what I was waiting for - I guess it was all just a little overwhelming - but it's the SEC and UT - it doesn't get any better than that for me," said Masingale. "It's something I've been working for since I was 7-years-old. It was just a matter of putting myself in front of the right people at the right time and I'm just glad I was ready to take advantage of the opportunity."

While Masingale may have had some doubts his ability to pitch in Division I, others weren't so skeptical. "I told Drew he could do it - it's a great honor for him and he's worked so hard to get where he is," said McMinn County Coach Jason Howard. "Drew has a big arm and all the tools to be successful. It was just a matter of having a good day and throwing well with the right people watching." Lawson agreed. "When I first started working with Drew, he was more into football, but I told him and his dad he had the talent to play major college baseball," Lawson said. "They weren't sure at first. The tough part was getting Drew to believe he's as good as he is. I just told them to trust me on this one - he's really come a long way in the last 18 months. "And the thing is, I don't think he's even close to reaching his potential," he added. "He's touching 90-91 miles per hour with his fastball now at 17 and has a very live arm. UT does a great job with their weight training program and I wouldn't be surprised - if he stays focused and works hard - to see him hit 94 or 95 at some point."

Like the others, Lawson believes it was a case of being in the right place at the right time. "It (signing with UT) is a big deal, but it wouldn't have happened if Drew hadn't been prepared when the chance came," Lawson said. "Kids have to understand that and be aggressive early in their careers if they want to play college baseball. "With recruiting the way it is, you need to start as a freshman or sophomore contacting schools you might want to play for, get your name out there and maybe someone will take a look. That's how it works and Drew is a perfect example of what can happen." Masingale hopes to be a contributor right away at Tennessee. "I'm really not interested in red-shirting (taking a year off) or anything like that," Masingale said. "I'm used to competing and I want to go in and help the team as a freshman."

For now, he's just enjoying the moment and his summer baseball season. McMinn had a disappointing spring but Masingale was named to the all-district team. He pitched a no-hitter against Wheaton Academy of Illinois, had a 5-1 victory over Walker Valley and held Bradley Central to one run in a 1-0 loss to the Bears and St. Louis Cardinals' draft pick Cole Brand. Masingale was then chosen to play in the Sunbelt Junior Classic where Team Tennessee finished as the runnerup with an 8-1 record against clubs from nine other states. He was also selected for the Tennessee Baseball Coaches Association All-Region 5-6 team.

"It's been a great summer so far," Masingale said. "I'm looking forward to the rest of the baseball season and then getting ready for football." And yes, he will play football - which has to be a great relief for McMinn County Coach Bo Cagle knowing his starting quarterback will return this fall instead of concentrating on baseball or risking injury. "I love playing football," Masingale said. "I'm looking forward to getting out there." And playing for The Big Orange.