Who are best Sophs in Memphis?

Jumpshot

Opinions are a dime a dozen about who the best sophs in Memphis will be this year.

Coach 1999 seems to be stuck on Fairley and Sheffield players, but he seems to know the Memphis area players. Just wonder what his bias is? Egohaslanded usually writes that White Station, Ridgeway, and private schools have the top players. They do have some, but don't have a corner on the market. Opp, you and TJ are always touting Bartlett and Coach Smith, but otherwise, you are pretty realistic about the Memphis scene. Haven't read enough posts by Cocky to know if he's seen everybody yet, but he also seems knowledgeable. Hoopscoopdre, how are you so in touch with "the Memphis scene" when you don't even live in Memphis?

My take on Memphis is that it is too early to predict much about this sophomore class until they are truly tested against each other and proven to be #1, #2, #3 etc. There are several excellent players in this class FOR THEIR AGE. It has been my experience that players develop at different ages and in different ways, and the process is ever ongoing.

Its seems that once a player gets a label as "the best" or "#1", he can do no wrong and no one can catch up or surpass him. We ALL know this is wrong. Andre is a perfect example of that. His reputation far exceeds his performances. Many of these sophs are overrated, and several are definitely underrated. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

If you're interested in watching some of the head to head competition in this class, come to Raleigh Egypt's gym on Nov. 5, to see the scrimmage between Fairley and the Pharaohs, or to BTW on the 7th to see BTW and Ral-Egypt. Bartlett will also be scrimmaging Ral-Egypt on Nov. 9th. As I previously stated, you can tell more from head to head competition than mere guessing so some of these games should be interesting.

I sincerely hope all of you "predictors" and "gurus" will remember that these are kids that we are talking about, and they are going to constantly be changing and in different stages of development. Please don't lock someone "in" and someone else "out" until they've had their chance to fully develop. :o

Hmm cocky is my brother, so we share the same assesment...the best player in Memphis is probably Dane Bradshaw for the upcoming senior class...

And No I don't think private school basketball is as good as memphis, nor are the players, that is stupid and ludacrous...

I like JP prince for White Station and Collin Cunningham, I don't like Rice...

I love the trio of Larricas, Vashon, and Lawrence for R.E.

In case you didn't know...my brother is also a very good player in the city of Memphis, yet I don't put his name on here or tout him, that is probably as unbias as you can get...dont you agree?

There was no put-down intended Ego, I always enjoy your posts and think you are pretty perceptive to be a young guy. If it wasn't for your description of the private school players, many of them WOULD go unnoticed and that certainly isn't fair to them or the private schools in Memphis. Many of the private schools have excellent programs, coaches and players, and should do well in the State every year. Many were highly competitive with the public schools until the split, and I think that competition level drove them to a higher level than they seem to have against each other. Would like to see the private division abolished and bring everyone back together again. I also would like to see Cocky play sometime. Bet he is a good one!

no the split has no bearing on basketball in memphis...let's face it...city schools play private all the time during the regular season...as far as state goes, all it would do is make it harder for teams to advance, regardless of whether they were public or private. One of the best games I ever saw was MUS versus Raleigh Egypt in the district tournament I believe at Ridgeway? I think RE had Bradford and MUS held him to 3 points...I believe he hit a bank shot 3 from half court at the end of the first quarter...and that was all the points he scored...this is back when MUS loved to do the 1-3-1 extended zone with no penetration and no threes...I like how it is right now, football is a different story though...

Guest COACH1999

Jumpshot,

Sounds like you are stuck on Raleigh-Egypt but you have a good reason to be. I like the team they will have this year with the sophomores. I'll look forward to the scrimmage on Nov. 7 with Fairley.....

Also, I do agree with you on the development on these kids. There are a lot of good players in the class, and some are going to continue and improve from working hard and some will have peaked because of not working.

I do beleive at the end of this year, we should all be close in ranking these players.