Indoor T&F meets

wrsmith

I'm looking for indoor meets for my son to compete in, hopefully within driving distance of west Tennessee. I will probably need to find meets that will allow athletes to compete as part of AAU or USATF teams or unattached since it seems that TSSAA is dead set against allowing indoor T&F to become a sport in TN (this prevents TN athletes from participating in the nice indoor season that Alabama has since they only allow athletes to participate who are representing a school). I know there's a meet in Knoxville in Feb. and I believe there's one at LSU in January (I don't know if they allow athletes to compete who aren't representing their schools). I'm aware of the national USATF and AAU meets in Illinois/Indiana in February. What about places like the Univ. of Kentucky, MTSU, etc.? Any guidance you can provide will be greatly appreciated. By the way, my son is a freshman jumper (high jump, pole vault, triple jump). Thanks for any help you can provide.

Guest kenwoodrun
Posted by wrsmith:

I'm looking for indoor meets for my son to compete in, hopefully within driving distance of west Tennessee. I will probably need to find meets that will allow athletes to compete as part of AAU or USATF teams or unattached since it seems that TSSAA is dead set against allowing indoor T&F to become a sport in TN (this prevents TN athletes from participating in the nice indoor season that Alabama has since they only allow athletes to participate who are representing a school). I know there's a meet in Knoxville in Feb. and I believe there's one at LSU in January (I don't know if they allow athletes to compete who aren't representing their schools). I'm aware of the national USATF and AAU meets in Illinois/Indiana in February. What about places like the Univ. of Kentucky, MTSU, etc.? Any guidance you can provide will be greatly appreciated. By the way, my son is a freshman jumper (high jump, pole vault, triple jump). Thanks for any help you can provide.

The UT meet is in February, and they allow you to compete on the "club" level. There are a lot of TN high school athletes who compete at the Vol Classic, but none of them represent a high school (they can't). It has been on the same weekend as the UK Indoor Invite in Lexington, which is usually tougher due to the qualifying standards that they set in place. The meet at LSU is also brutal in terms of competition, and you aren't missing much in Alabama since they compete in a literal horse barn (it is WILD in there). Since you are from west TN, I would check out two places off the top of my head...Arkansas State has an indoor facility, and Southern Illinois-Carbondale has a nice indoor 200m facility. SIU would be worth a trip. And you can always go to dyestat and pull up their indoor calendar once November/December roll around.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Brewtwo

Indiana University in Bloomington will have several meets this winter. University of Cinci has three. The university of Ky will have a meet Feb 1? in addition to their big invite on Feb 22. The reason was because they are holding the large meet on the date of the Kentucky Indoor State Championships(hows that for respect) There will also be a meet in the Lexington area on Jan 11 Its a new meet and info wont be out till Dec. I will be sure to post the info for these meets when i receive it You can also check at www.ktccca.org for meet info in the Kentucky area.

Guest Brewtwo

As in the past, the University of Kentucky High School Invitational is intended to be a quality competition with selected, limited entries based on previous, verifiable individual performances. The entry limitations in each event are intended to insure the highest quality competition in a timely, efficient format. This meet will attempt to attract the best possible athletes regardless of state of residence. In 2002, athletes representing 12 different states participated in the Kentucky H.S. Invitational. Kentucky HS Invitational Meet information will be posted at www.uktrack.com and DyeStat in an effort to promote the meet as much as possible.

The Wildcat Classic scheduled for February 1, is open to Kentucky athletes only. Due to the limitations of our indoor facility, participation in the Wildcat Classic will follow the similar entry limitations and selection criteria as we have used in the Kentucky Invitational. In November, a hard copy of meet information will be sent to coaches of teams or athletes that have participated in UK meets in the past. In the meantime, if you have any questions or wish meet information be sent to you please contact Don Weber by email at dweber@uky.edu

Indoor Track & Field

January 17-18 Kentucky Invitational Lexington, KY

January 24-25 SEC Challenge Lexington, KY

February 1-2 Wildcat Classic H.S. Lexington, KY

February 7-8 Rod McCravy Memorial Lexington, KY

February 8-9 Arkansas Tyson Inv. Fayetteville, AR

February 22 Univ. of Kentucky H.S. Invitational Lexington, KY

March 1-2 SEC Championships Gainesville, FL

March 8 Alex Wilson Invitational South Bend, IN

March 14-15 NCAA Championships Fayetteville, AK